Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

New member has C5 speaker questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 11:06 PM
JAMIROBri
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New member has C5 speaker questions...

Hey all! I just got my first Vette a few weeks ago! It's a '99 hatchback and I absolutely love this car! Anways, I recently had a Pioneer in-dash DVD HU put in and now my 8" woofers are not working. This was not a surprise since I read on here that I would lose the 8" speakers. Anyways, I plan on putting a 5.25" component set in the front doors now and removing the 8" and 3.5" stock speakers. Also, I'm removing the rear 6.5" for new 6.5" coaxials.

Couple of questions... Are the speakers now being powered by my HU? Or are the Bose amps powering the speakers?

Can I just cut off the old wire connectors for attaching the stock wiring to my aftermarket speakers? Or are there some plug adapters I could purchase?

Thanks in advance everyone! I tried doing a search, but did not find what I was looking for.

Brian
Old 12-12-2006, 11:28 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can get the 8" subs to work if you get a bose interface.

the speakers are being powered by the head unit right now... bose amps only power the subs

you need to run new speaker wire

check out the faq too. a lot of info is in there
Old 12-13-2006, 12:17 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

6.5 components will fit in front. The bose amp only powers the sub. If you arent amping the speakers you DONOT need to run new wire
Old 12-13-2006, 12:30 AM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

oh yeah... that's right.... i forgot he's not amping
Old 12-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Duramax Dave
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read through this a couple times...but maybe I'm still missing something. I like the suggestions of using components in the front doors but would not do it if using the HU amp power. The power that most HU's put out is low for what components need. The advertised "50w per channel" is peak power and typical RMS power is closer to 15-22w per channel.

Components would be a great way to go. I'd suggest getting a seperate amp to power those components.

Good advice on the speaker wire. If using low power (like what the HU is putting out), use the factory wiring. If you decide to amp the components then I would suggest upgrading to larger gauge wiring (14 min but I like to use 12).
Old 12-13-2006, 01:10 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Dave you like to go above and beyond you liek to use 12ga haha thast what I use for subs, speakers I go 16
Old 12-13-2006, 04:45 PM
JAMIROBri
Instructor

I appreciate your responses so far. I've done very intense installations in the past and I'm trying to keep the Vette to a somewhat minimum. Minimum for me anyways. I'm a little older now (28, hehe) and I just don't have it in me to tear the car apart anymore.

I've always heard that running components without an amp is not good, but I've never known why. Component sets are just like coaxials, except that their crossover is not built onto the speaker. Why would it matter that I run the 5.25 components off the Pioneer?

Thanks again for the feedback and I look forward to more enlightened answers to my questions!
Old 12-13-2006, 05:23 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMIROBri
I appreciate your responses so far. I've done very intense installations in the past and I'm trying to keep the Vette to a somewhat minimum. Minimum for me anyways. I'm a little older now (28, hehe) and I just don't have it in me to tear the car apart anymore.

I've always heard that running components without an amp is not good, but I've never known why. Component sets are just like coaxials, except that their crossover is not built onto the speaker. Why would it matter that I run the 5.25 components off the Pioneer?

Thanks again for the feedback and I look forward to more enlightened answers to my questions!
Cause a typical Coax uses a High Pass capacitor only.. most the full range comes from the woofer ( larger driver)

Components tend to use more Caps, Coils, and Resistors to balance the sound of each speaker in their passive network. the passive network tends to eat up power, this is why it is recommended to amp the separate components
Old 12-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Duramax Dave
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JAMIROBri... Good explanation from Jeff there! Let us know how you like it when you are done with the install. I never got around to changing the speakers (just added an amp/sub) to my FRC when I had it.

Penta...I usually do go big. I've not had a problem with too big of wire ever. Probably because I never am too small to see a problem. I figure in the scheme of things, it's not much more money to go bigger on wire since you don't do it often. Peace of mind knowing I am not fighting any resistance.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:21 AM
JAMIROBri
Instructor

Wow! Look at all of these Illinois guys in here!

I've decided to rewire the car... I told myself I wouldn't, but I have everything needed on order now, lol. I see what you all were saying about the components needing more power. More power is exactly what they will be receiving!

I can never leave "well enough" alone.

Thanks again for your tips fellow Vette-owners!

Brian
Old 12-15-2006, 12:31 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Yeah all the Illinois guys we tend to hang together haha... If you need any help let us know feel free to ask all the questions in the world the vette is very easy to do stereo work on
Old 12-15-2006, 01:17 AM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

<-- black sheep?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:12 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by scott_fx
<-- black sheep?
Guess you need to move to Illinois.. now..

LOL

Get notified of new replies

To New member has C5 speaker questions...

Quick Reply: New member has C5 speaker questions...