Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Budget 6.5" Component Choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:58 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Budget 6.5" Component Choices

I realize I am probably going to get a slew of flames about this but here it goes... Due to a previous hack up of my '05 C6's Bose system I am left without my Bose subs working. I plan to drive some 6.5" components and the 5.25" rears with my AVIC-D1 head unit. This is a modest "system" at best and it gets even more so when I say that I am looking to spend no more than $100 on the 6.5" components.

I have been looking at http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i...t-systems.html

I'd like to know if anyone knows or can hypothesize about how crappy the Boss sets are as well as the Phoenix Gold. I am actually leaning towards the Audiobahn's which I can get new on e-bay for $50. So anything anyone can tell me about these brands/sets would be helpful.

Flame away. I am more of a go fast guy rather than an audiophile. I realize this is akin to someone on asking about putting Pace Setter headers on their 'vette.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:17 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Among the cheaper brands Phoenix Gold actually has a decent rep for SQ. However I would caution that with speakers you do get what you pay for, though they're often overpriced of course. While I understand you want to keep the total cost down, go with the upper end of the budget components. There are $50 Phoenix Gold and there are $100... while sometimes you can find a sweet spot on price/performance generally at that level the more you spend the better, so if your budget is $100 get the better set.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:25 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Zalytron.com. They have a $129 package I think of components that are very respectable quality wise from Focal (closeout drivers).

You do get what you pay for, and we may end up seeing you back in 6 months when you realize that the $100 speaker option in your nice vette is almost as bad as the blose that came out of it.

Fej
Old 12-14-2006, 11:39 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

I have seen some CDT Sets on eBay for $99 (brand new B-stock) CDT is decent, but it is all preference as well.

if you are looking for 5.25" rear compnents I have a set of Infinity 510cs components that sound decent and i will let them go CHEAP!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:56 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

What I hate about speakers is there is really nothing to differentiate them. So like you said, you could easily overpay for a set. Maybe that's not true. You can look at the material of the cone and surround as well as the tweeter, the frequency response, the magnet weight. So there is a lot of imperical data you can make decisions on but how good one sounds over the other is very subjective. I would almost equate it to wine. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between a $100 set and a $300 set just like I can't really differentiate between a $50 bottle of wine and a $200 bottle.

Surely the low low end, dare I say Audiovox, will be easily distinguishable which is keeping me from considering the Boss's.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

IDK why you are getting components when running off the headunit. You will be better off with a coax
Old 12-14-2006, 12:45 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

That's just what everyone seems to be doing when they replace the Bose speakers. Using the southerncarparts mounts with some 6.5" components. I would not be opposed to some 2 way or three way coax speakers to go where the 10" subs were. Just seems locical to put the woofer there and the tweeter where the 3.5" is.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:02 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
IDK why you are getting components when running off the headunit. You will be better off with a coax
you can get a nice coax for $100
Old 12-14-2006, 03:03 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
That's just what everyone seems to be doing when they replace the Bose speakers. Using the southerncarparts mounts with some 6.5" components. I would not be opposed to some 2 way or three way coax speakers to go where the 10" subs were. Just seems locical to put the woofer there and the tweeter where the 3.5" is.
I think the multiple threads have left some confusion as to your goal. As I understand it, the previous owner hacked up your car and left you in a position of wanting to get something that sounds decent, unlike the nightmare left behind.

With that perspective coaxials make sense. What you read around here is mostly from audio enthusiasts, so when they're buying the mounts their purpose is to get vastly improved sound, not clean up a mess. So most of those folks go outboard amps, component speakers, subwoofers, etc.

Here's a thought... drop $150-200 on a good set of coaxials for the front (the mounts will work, you just won't use the "tweeter" piece) and re-wire the stock rear speakers with the rear channels from the new head unit. The rear is just for fill anyway and alot of guys here don't even bother. The front is what makes the system so that's where to put your money.

I have a friend that just put Focal 165-CV1's into his '02 Z28 and they are a very nice sounding coaxial, but they're also $200 for the pair. Something (else) to consider.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:04 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

components are less eficient and need to be amped. A coaxial on radio power will rival on a component on radio power. My fav coaxial is the polk db650 can be had for 70ish on ebay
Old 12-14-2006, 03:15 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Thanks guys, that was my next question; the difference between coaxials and components. I'll start looking into some coax's. Components just seem fancier.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:30 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

they are but without the power they suck. Back in the day before I knew how all this **** worked in my camaro i had components in front and coaxials in back all alpine type r, running off the radio and the rears alawys outpowered fronts
Old 12-14-2006, 05:45 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

i would agree with penta. you need to grab a pair of coax because so many components need to be amped and have enough juice going to em.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:13 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

OK, so after setting a new direction for coax's I decided to go to Crutchfield and look at the most expensive sets with good reviews and then look for them on e-bay. I ended up getting a great deal on some Kenwood Excelons, 6.75 for the front and 5.25 for the rear. They are on the spendy side on Crutchfield and the reviews were good so thats good enough for me. Just ordered the mounts from southerncarparts. Should be up and running ~Christmas time.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll post back when I get them installed.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:35 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

dont forget to take install pics too

Get notified of new replies

To Budget 6.5" Component Choices

Quick Reply: Budget 6.5" Component Choices