Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New C6 Probox

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:22 PM
wngrr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default New C6 Probox

Hello! I am currently shoping for stereo upgrades for my 2008 coupe. I received the pictures below from Gerald at Probox. It is the new sub for the c6. He included these comments along with the pictures..

"Hello, this is our new C6 "Loaded" design, it houses 1-8" sub that will deilver the performance of (2) 10" or better. Due to the large ported "Low Velocity" design this thing gets extremely loud with very little power. The car in the pics you are viewing has only 300 watts rms....The roof of the car actually was flexing about an 1/4 ". Do not judge the fact that its a single 8" until you hear this thing. The roof will still snap in place for storage with this design."

He quoted me a price fo $500.00 shipped.... I'm about 99% sure I want to place an order but thought I would ask the experts here their thoughts first.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

wow, that monstrosity is ugly as hell
Old 02-18-2008, 02:04 PM
wngrr
Instructor

I forgot to post the pictures of it inside the car...

Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Spkrboy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's one of the more laughable claims I've seen on this site, and there have certainly been a few. So we're clear...

The driver is nothing special, and looks like a dozen others you can have built in Taiwan or China from a menu. There's no such thing as a "large ported "Low Velocity" design." If he can't show you an impedance curve, state the box Fb, the Box Q, the effective volume, or any other measured performance to back up his nonsensical claims, avoid this like the plague.
I'll be the one to call

Last edited by Spkrboy; 02-18-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
wngrr
Instructor

Spkrboy,

Thank you for the input.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Spkrboy
That's one of the more laughable claims I've seen on this site, and there have certainly been a few. So we're clear...

The driver is nothing special, and looks like a dozen others you can have built in Taiwan or China from a menu. There's no such thing as a "large ported "Low Velocity" design." If he can't show you an impedance curve, state the box Fb, the Box Q, the effective volume, or any other measured performance to back up his nonsensical claims, avoid this like the plague.
I'll be the one to call
Not to start a war here.. But I can 100% attest to the claims of this company.. While I do not have one in my Vette.. I do have one of their Ported single 12" encolsures in my Daily driver.. I have YET to have ANYONE belive me that I am driving it with a 300 Watt Amp.. It pounds like something 3 times the power.. In fact my son had 2 12's in a (Custom Built Box) and 1000 Watts..

Mine sounded better

Better listen to one before you are quick to make a decision based on SPECS...
Old 02-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spkrboy

I'll be the one to call
horn loaded enclosure maybe?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kale
horn loaded enclosure maybe?
Not Sure.. all I can tell you is I have the box below in my daily driver with a Baja HA600 bridged to 4 ohms ( 300W @.07% THD) I am using it with a 12" Alpine Type R..

http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/...PB/index.shtml

That box punches me in the chest when I play it loud..

I plan to put this new Enclosure into my C5 ASAP...

http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/...00/index.shtml
Old 02-02-2009, 01:37 PM
splmark
4th Gear

that price is really high for a ported box that is made out of mdf, yea a single 8 can sound like two 10's. most ported subs are 3db higher then a sealed box.

a few years back we started a thing called Krazy 8s (db drag) it ended up going coast to coast and got sponcered by kicker and the winner got about $2000 worth of kicker gear. the guys that won has a single L7 8 in a 1cuft box tuned in the 30's and sounded great and got a 150 on the old mic (143-144 on the new mic)

you guys should check out

pound that sound fourm
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...p?showforum=80

or

fisher customs for the people up north
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...p?showforum=79

both do great work and make any box you want just shoot them an e-mail or leave a message on there fourm
Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times
wow, that monstrosity is ugly as hell
I'm not sure I can read the Brand name, I think it needs to be a bit larger.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jdurhan
I'm not sure I can read the Brand name, I think it needs to be a bit larger.
Since they are custom made, I see no reason one without the logos can be ordered...
Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chuckster
Not Sure.. all I can tell you is I have the box below in my daily driver with a Baja HA600 bridged to 4 ohms ( 300W @.07% THD) I am using it with a 12" Alpine Type R..

http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/...PB/index.shtml

That box punches me in the chest when I play it loud..

I plan to put this new Enclosure into my C5 ASAP...

http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/...00/index.shtml
Any given halfway decent 12 (designed for a ported enclosure) is going to have some decent punch in any halfway decent ported box.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM
leolufse
Melting Slicks

It appears to be well made, but the design screams "I'm 15 and don't know d*ck about car audio".
Old 02-03-2009, 12:48 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Of the many red flags I see, the one I like is... Gerald posts up pictures of this ugly contraption with 400 watts RMS marked on it in huge lettering but as his advertisement uses a 300w amp! Some professional
Looks like that 8" driver cant keep up with a mid priced 8" one, let alone a couple of 10"s. I would walk away and dont look back.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by NYC6
Of the many red flags I see, the one I like is... Gerald posts up pictures of this ugly contraption with 400 watts RMS marked on it in huge lettering but as his advertisement uses a 300w amp! Some professional
Looks like that 8" driver cant keep up with a mid priced 8" one, let alone a couple of 10"s. I would walk away and dont look back.
While I understand the skepticism... I find it amazing that you all can dismiss something that you know nothing about, Tested or heard...

I agree that the lettering is not attractive.. Especially in a Corvette.. That is a simple remedy..

As far as not keeping up with 2 10's as a blanket statement.. Not True. You need to go to a few car SPL shows... I have seen CRAPPY sounding systems with 3 and 4 12" subs... A poorly designed system is not overcome by bigger subs..

In fact I purchased my Probox right after hearing how his boxes perform. There are lots that looked similar. I but even when I was standing outside the car and could tell the difference..

I dont like the engraved lettering either.. As far as I am concerned that box looks great MINUS the Relief carvings.. It seems to blend in well and gives a ton of usable space..

Knock yourself out if you want to build out the entire rear of your car into a 500lb sub enclosure but for the average guy who does not want to ruin the appearance of his $50K + car... this looks like a great solution..

I think Gerald needs be a sponsor and post here with some SPL data

Last edited by chuckster; 02-03-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:53 PM
lionelc5
Instructor

I dont have this pro box, but I have had other ported ProBoxs and I can honestly say that they are the best pre made boxes I have ever heard. You can say what you want about the apperance, but they are well built and very well desighned.

LionelC
Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by lionelc5
I dont have this pro box, but I have had other ported ProBoxs and I can honestly say that they are the best pre made boxes I have ever heard. You can say what you want about the apperance, but they are well built and very well desighned.

LionelC
And there you have the second opinion from someone who ACTUALLY , Owned or Heard one...

Get notified of new replies

To New C6 Probox

Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

You talk about blanket statements and this builder makes the same about his product being better than two tens or even more yet I see no hard data numbers proving anything. All I see is alot of talk! We dont even know what particular driver is installed! I'll stick with well known quality brand name products, not some guy making outrageous claims. I'll wager my 10" JL Stealthbox has better quality workmanship, a better quality driver and much better quality sound than that monstrocity. And you can go on the JL website and see exactly what their products are made of and see hard data. Not some guy whos trying to sell a no name sub listed(by him) at 400w and cant even use the correct power in his sales pitch. But you buy what you want, I'll happily stick with my JL system and drown you out at the red light with volume and quality audio.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by NYC6
You talk about blanket statements and this builder makes the same about his product being better than two tens or even more yet I see no hard data numbers proving anything. All I see is alot of talk! We dont even know what particular driver is installed! I'll stick with well known quality brand name products, not some guy making outrageous claims. I'll wager my 10" JL Stealthbox has better quality workmanship, a better quality driver and much better quality sound than that monstrocity. And you can go on the JL website and see exactly what their products are made of and see hard data. Not some guy whos trying to sell a no name sub listed(by him) at 400w and cant even use the correct power in his sales pitch. But you buy what you want, I'll happily stick with my JL system and drown you out at the red light with volume and quality audio.

Listen.. nobody trashed the Stealth box.. It is a great box and well made. I certainly believe (Because I own one) the Probox is made every bit as well.

Keep in mind you are comparing apples and oranges
They have 2 different purposes... Your Stealthbox is a sealed box and requires a lot less volume.. Sealed boxes are typically for clarity and not SPL. So you wont be anywhere NEAR the SPL of a properly designed ported box. BUT.. you will certainly win the Audiophile prize for Accuracy...

Remember 2 Different purposes...

By the way.. Probox also used to make a subbox for the C5 that was very similar to the JL Stealthbox.. I'd bet since they were both sealed.. they would have performed the same.. But not pay the JL Premium...
Old 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Ported boxes can sound just as good as sealed, with just as much accuracy, if they are correctly built for the driver, and the vehicle.

Most people build one note wonder ported boxes for sheer volume.

Quick Reply: New C6 Probox