Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Avic D3 install details and pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:13 PM
joe3451
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Avic D3 install details and pics

First and foremost let me express my appreciation to C5KIDD(BRIAN) for all his help and customer service during this install, his bezel was perfect and well worth the $$$$ and all his information and customer support was impeccable. Secondly i want to thank the CF for all its informative posts because without it this would have defiantly been a nightmare.I will try to give as many details of this install as i can so here goes.

1. first I removed the stock bezel, in order to remove this the waterfall and the console has to come out, not a big deal a couple or screws and nuts (I have a 99 vert). After removing the bezel remove the stock radio and hvac.
2. The 2 stock supports that hold the radio and hvac have to be removed to make room for the DD radio and relocated hvac, GOOD LUCK!!!!!! the pins that hold them in are made of i don't know what but i burned through 5 sawzall blades, i ended up prying them out with a big screwdriver.

3. Now that you made room you need to fit the radio and hvac into its new home and the only way to do this is by trial and error. I fabricated bracket out of repair plates i got from ace hardware for $2.99. and installed them onto the radio with supplied screws not to damage the radio, it took a couple of times of putting the bezel in and out but once i got the location it was set. You are going to need to shim out the hvac a bit with washers because its new spot is set back a bit.

3.Now that all the fitting is done its on to the wiring, i used the pac adapter because i chose to keep the stock bose speakers, if you follow the wiring plan in the directions you will not have a problem its fairly self explanatory except for a few wires that are out of the ordinary. For the battery, acc, and ground there is a small harness located in the pass side foot well right above the fuse block, it has tape across it and it is connected by a plug so you can remove it and wire it then reinstall it

4.Now onto the harness, follow directions provided for the plugs there are a couple of wires that need to be located one of them is the VSS wire, i found mine behind the cluster in the harness that connects the cluster a real pain to get to but i found a post that has it in the plug for the radio.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1948171
I removed the cluster to get to my wire you have to remove a couple of brackets under the steering column and remove the bolts to drop down the column to remove the cluster.

5.You have to locate the illumination wire for the lighting of the radio, its located in the plug for the hvav its the tan wire.

6.You also need to locate your power ant. wire, I found mine in the trunk behind the pass side trunk panel, its the pink wire in the black rubber gromett.

7. The last of the wires you need to locate is the reverse light wire Im sure there is a way to find one closer to the radio but i got mine from the light itself. I removed the pass inside taillight and popped out the rev. light bulb holder and tapped into the + of that plug. you need this wire for the navigation and also for the back up camera This is also the suggested location for the sat or xm radio antenna, this is where i put mine and it works great i simply using the magnet stuck them to the metal bumper under the bumper cover i don't have a picture it was too dark in there for the picture to come out.
8. i installed the sat radio box under the pass seat all the way against the rear wall, or the seat hits the box, its also easy to get to if there is ever a problem

in the picture it shows it in the middle of th seat, i moved it when the seat hit it after i reinstalled it.
9. as far as the harness goes its fairly simple there are a few wires that don't get used follow this post it helps alot
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...VIC+D3+INSTALL
10. Lastly i installed a back up camera the directions for this were simple it gets connected to the brown rca plug labeled "CAMERA" and it gets connected to the rev. wire.
11. I also installed a wire that i purchased from ebay for $15.00 that bypasses the parking brake so the dvd player works while the car is in motion, there are also direction on how to do this without the wire on this website
http://www.avic411.com/
After all of the fitting and wiring you now have the task of fitting all the wires behind the radio, there is room behind the hvac and if you place them right you will get them in. Install the radio power it up and try it out

12.If all is well re install the bezel for the final fitting, there are alot of settings on the D3 to tweek it up as far as display and sound, you can download display backgrounds to the screen, you have to download the backgrounds onto a disc into a "FILE" and label it PICTURES or the radio wont read it, i got min from this post and they look great.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1790490

I hope tis info helps you out and if you have any questions or are confused about anything i posted feel free to PM me and i will be more than happy to help you, Again if you have to buy this stuff I would suggest purchasing this from C5Kidd not only do you get a quality product but you get great cust. service to go along with it. Good luck and enjoy

JOE
Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the detailed info and pics. I am getting ready to do pretty close the same thing
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

looks nice

fyi VSS and power antenna are right behind the radio in that stock harness but looks like you got it all done

what exactly are the l brackets called
Old 02-29-2008, 06:37 AM
VET IT B
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe,

Great post and pics to boot. I just received my avic Z2 from C5KIDD via FedX yesterday. When I ordered it, Brian was very helpful and answered all my questions and made sure I got everything I needed for the install.

Between you and Brian I am sure I will "Get Her Done".

I'm trying to research about that bipass you are talking about to be able to have full screen view of the backup cam and video when going foreward. Any further help would be nice. Mark
Old 02-29-2008, 09:14 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

aivc411.com
Old 02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
joe3451
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09
Default D3

The L brackets were called repair plates and i found them in the hardware section of ace hardware i bent them myself using a duckbill visegrip because they come flat out of the package. Buy a couple of packs in case you dont get it right the first time.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 PM
joe3451
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09
Default Bypass wire

The bypass wire i purchased from ebay is at this link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...209061562&_trk
if you cant get to this site the item # Item number: 330209061562
go to ebay and put in this item # and it should come up it worked great and came with detailed instructions
Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

there is a bypass on avic411.com how to its sooo easy you do not need to buy anything extra
Old 03-01-2008, 01:24 AM
joe3451
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09
Default bypass wire

i gave that site in my post someone asked about info on the the wire specifically, i went with the wire because of murphy's law, with the $$$$ i spent the $17.00 wasn't going to break the bank.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Archdog75
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the bypass:

All you need to do in move the yellow mute wire on the D3 harness to the pin hole right above it. Then tap the mute wire to the green parking brake wire. Then you can tap the same green parking brake into the ground wire for the D3. Then connect the ground wire for the D3 to a ground surface.

Basicly, Ground the mute wire, ground the parking brake wire. I just connected them all together so I would only have only one ground spot.

Tip: when you pull the yellow mute out, us a small screw driver to open it up slightly and then pull it out.

If the metal end gets damaged while pulling it out, strip the wire about an inch or so and double up the wire and then push the wire into the new slot. When you look at the connector from the end side, look to see if you can see the gold colored wire so it will make a good connection while plugged into the D3.

Real easy and no need to spend any amount of money.

P.S. Nice install and great pictures with great detail. This forum should probally make a D3 Sticky with all this info in one thread. Mods, how about it?

Justin
Old 03-02-2008, 07:00 AM
VET IT B
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Justin. I will give this a try on my Z2. Mark
Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Thats only for the D3, the Z2 is diff. Like i said avic411.com