Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Sub install advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 PM
matsarge
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub install advice

Here's the deal, it's already installed but you can tell the sub isn't operating at it's full potential. By that I mean it sounds like it's not receiving all the low signals it should if that makes sense. The sub fires great but you can tell that certain sounds that should be going to the sub are going to a different place, probably the subs in the door. The setup added to the stock system is as follows:

2007 Corvette- Stock Bose headunit w/Nav
Sub- Kicker CompVR 07CVR124 -12", dual 4-ohm voice coil, rated at 50-400 RMS (200 per coil) 800 watts peak- Both voice coils are wired up
Amp- MTX Thunder 600XD - 325 RMS @ 4ohm, 600 @ 2 ohms , 1200 watts peak

I took a look at the wiring and it appears the installer ran the wires from the amp (with the rca ends plugged into amp) and patched them directly into the harness that plugs into the amp under the passenger floor board. It works but but like I said, it's just not right. I've been looking through the threads and based on what I'm seeing how it should be hooked up is through the harness as recommended in Dan's thread below.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1972153

Based on how I'm reading into it, you build the harness that Dan outlines and plug the stock unit into one end, the other end into the stock amp and the RCA plugs from the amp driving the new sub into the RCA ends you splice into the harness. Am I on the right path with this? If it's wired this way instead of into the amp harness will the signal be sent the right way and cure the issue I'm hearing?

The shop that did the install is a very respected shop and the installer wants to do it right but has very limited experience with the Bose system in the C6. Basically I'm trying to gather the right information so he can do what's necessary to get it sounding right.

Any information, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

if he spliced in at the amp in the right spot it shoudl work just the same as behind the radio. see what color the wires are at the amp that its spliced into
Old 04-05-2008, 12:30 AM
matsarge
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
if he spliced in at the amp in the right spot it shoudl work just the same as behind the radio. see what color the wires are at the amp that its spliced into
I looked but it's hard to tell with all the tape there. I took a picture of the area where its spliced in but I'm not sure it will help. What are the correct wires to splice into?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:26 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I have never tapped at the amp, only behind the head, so I don't know what the wire colors are there and I'm not sure if that's the input or output side. From your description of the sound I'd guess it's the output side and he tapped into either the front 3.5 or rear 5.25 speaker outputs, which are high passed so you won't be getting the frequencies you need.

Check the FAQ stickied at the top of the section, you'll see a how-to I wrote on the best way to get signal from the head. Give that to your installer and have him fix it up right for ya.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:42 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

ud think if he tapped after the amp there would be a LOC though

imo just go to ur installer the info on how to tap behind the headunit he should tap there for u no problem, u dont actually need the harness i know there is a pinout listed so u can tap directly
Old 04-05-2008, 12:30 PM
matsarge
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
I have never tapped at the amp, only behind the head, so I don't know what the wire colors are there and I'm not sure if that's the input or output side. From your description of the sound I'd guess it's the output side and he tapped into either the front 3.5 or rear 5.25 speaker outputs, which are high passed so you won't be getting the frequencies you need.

Check the FAQ stickied at the top of the section, you'll see a how-to I wrote on the best way to get signal from the head. Give that to your installer and have him fix it up right for ya.
Thanks Dan. If I had to guess based on the sound, I think he tapped into the front 3.5.

Just so I make sure I'm on the same page with you, these are the instructions you're referring to in regards to tapping into the head unit and getting signal directly from the head, correct?

http://www.lazyassgeek.com/c6-stereo...-unit-harness/

The other option would be to build the harness you describe in this thread, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1972153
but based on other things you've written, the way to get the best sound is to tap directly in the wires behind the head.

Just out of curiousity, what has to be removed to get to the harness so you can tap directly in the head?
Old 04-05-2008, 01:24 PM
matsarge
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
ud think if he tapped after the amp there would be a LOC though

imo just go to ur installer the info on how to tap behind the headunit he should tap there for u no problem, u dont actually need the harness i know there is a pinout listed so u can tap directly
thanks. Based on yours and Dan's input it sounds like tapping directly into the pinouts on the headunit harness is the way to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Sub install advice

Quick Reply: Sub install advice