Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Stereo installed and head unit sticks out

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 PM
3Xvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stereo installed and head unit sticks out

I had a single din JVC KD-AVX11 installed and when i went to go pick it up it was sticking out 2.5" from dash. I told him i can't have this he then put the smallest face plate adapter he said he could use witch sticks out 1". I want it flush is there a plate that i can tell them to use to solve this i'm going back Monday to tell them i'm still not happy. The reason i left it for another day was when i went to pick it up he asked me did the windows go up and down when i brought it in yes the f***ing windows worked and also the door locks don't work. After finding the problem for him i just wanted to leave before i lost it. Any help would be great just want it flush.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:58 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Prly blew a fuse or tapped into a wrong with for ignition power for the radio.

There is a metal tab in the back of the dash from the stock radio tell em to bend it back or cut it out compleletly. This is part of installing stereos in gm cars, i do it regularly. There is no negative side effect to this. I cant believe they didnt do this to begin with.

Also fyi if you have stock speakers etc, and they didnt use a bose specific harness your door subs will no longer work
Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me when they put my Alpine in. I said and had them fix it as stated above.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 PM
3Xvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
Prly blew a fuse or tapped into a wrong with for ignition power for the radio.

There is a metal tab in the back of the dash from the stock radio tell em to bend it back or cut it out compleletly. This is part of installing stereos in gm cars, i do it regularly. There is no negative side effect to this. I cant believe they didnt do this to begin with.

Also fyi if you have stock speakers etc, and they didnt use a bose specific harness your door subs will no longer work
Yes when it stuck out the first time he said i can bend the metal tab i said go ahead but said the smallest adapter he had would stick out 1"' and still looks like ****.I have the stock front and back speakers and he said he made his own adapter so i should tell him about this. This is really turning out to be a nightmare.Thanks for all the help
Old 04-06-2008, 11:19 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

if you still have bass from the doors then his adapter is legit

just to prove you can make a radio fit flush

and there was more room to spare in the dash
Old 04-06-2008, 11:28 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 848 Likes on 724 Posts

It doesn't need to stick out. Here's mine. I just make my own mounting plate. Some day I'm going to lower it a bit and also add another piece over that one and get rid of the deck piece that is surrounding the face making it really look like it's mounted right into the dash.

As for the wiring. I doubt your installer knows how to connect the head unit to the Bose stuff to make it all work. He's probably thinking he can just connect speaker and power wires to a harness plug but it requires more than that.

Peter

Last edited by lionelhutz; 04-06-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:37 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
As for the wiring. I doubt your installer knows how to connect the head unit to the Bose stuff to make it all work. He's probably thinking he can just connect speaker and power wires to a harness plug but it requires more than that.

Peter

actually its not that hard to tap into bose subs without a fancy soundgate adapter if the installer cant figure this out he shouldnt be installin imo
Old 04-06-2008, 11:55 PM
TorchedC5
Instructor

actually its not that hard to tap into bose subs without a fancy soundgate adapter if the installer cant figure this out he shouldnt be installin imo
But a majority of what I'm running into are guys in their early 20's that know everything. I'm in my early 20's but if I don't know it I LOOK IT UP! We have a guy at work that tried to do that on a 99 C5. He even told the customer that he disabled the Bose subs so that it would be acoustically perfect! I about fell in the floor when I heard that. He had no clue how to hook them up and was taking advantage of someone else's lack of knowledge.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:16 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by TorchedC5
But a majority of what I'm running into are guys in their early 20's that know everything. I'm in my early 20's but if I don't know it I LOOK IT UP! We have a guy at work that tried to do that on a 99 C5. He even told the customer that he disabled the Bose subs so that it would be acoustically perfect! I about fell in the floor when I heard that. He had no clue how to hook them up and was taking advantage of someone else's lack of knowledge.
Fair enough you are right it really depends where you go. Myself im in my early 20s and I admit I dont know everything lol. But yeah if i dont know I look it up. I love that makin it acoustically perfect
Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 AM
TorchedC5
Instructor

Fair enough you are right it really depends where you go. Myself im in my early 20s and I admit I dont know everything lol. But yeah if i dont know I look it up. I love that makin it acoustically perfect
Oh the horror stories I could tell you. Another one of my favorites is the same guy was drilling through a firewall on a newer cadillac and drill through the wall just fine.. BUT he hits the brake booster.. does he stop drilling? Survey SAYS! No. so he completely drills through that. I now call it the brake booster mod. I mean that's not complicated.. I think anyone could figure that out. If i drill through here, should I look to see where it's gonna come out? DUH!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 AM
yamahajo
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10,-'13
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
It doesn't need to stick out. Here's mine. I just make my own mounting plate. Some day I'm going to lower it a bit and also add another piece over that one and get rid of the deck piece that is surrounding the face making it really look like it's mounted right into the dash.

Peter
How do you like that HU? I've been considering that one and was wondering how visible the screen is from driving stance. It's between that or the double din lcd.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 848 Likes on 724 Posts

I like it. It's easy to read and that's one of the reasons I chose it over some of the others because there displays are a pain to see.

FF and RW and hard to use. It skips a few seconds for a bit then jumps to 10 second or 30 second skips or something like that going a long time quick.

Media lists on the USB show as directories and file names. It doesn't support sub-directories under the first level well. All subdirectories just appear in the main or root list. File names are shown as file name and not tag name. But, the lists are easy to read and easy to navigate.

Media list is easy to get to. Just hold up or down and it jumps to the list. I think it's 7 directories or file names on screen at once. Holding up/down is like page up/down and just moving up/down/left/right navigates.

Don't have an IPOD but it looks like it would work OK for one. Not as good as the IPOD itself but better than USB stick by the looks of it.

I did go on a long drive and with the rears driven off the deck it overheated and began to act up with the pre-out level dropping after about 4 or 5 hours of driving. I turned off the internal amp and it was good again. I think having it on low level would have been OK but it was on high level.

Peter
Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 PM
3Xvette
Burning Brakes

I went to see the installers today but no one working in shop. I spoke to the manager and told him i want the deck flush and the Bose adapter in because when i disconnected th amp for the sub the factory speakers sounded like a transister radio so that tells me that the amps are not working as i read in the thread above. thanks guys i will let you know how i make out. I also said the installer said he couldn't make it flush and told the manager he has 3 options 1 fix the f***ing thing or refund back all my money or pay another shop to fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo installed and head unit sticks out

Quick Reply: Stereo installed and head unit sticks out