Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6: Issues with Chimes & Onstar using after-market interface

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6: Issues with Chimes & Onstar using after-market interface

I need to figure out how to get Onstar & chimes to work properly. I spent a lot of time searching and not getting too far.

The only way I can get Onstar to work is to connect my center speaker and have the interface connect the left front speaker wires to the hu. I would rather not have the music being played out through the center speaker. Is there a way around this? Can't I have onstar go through the amp just like the PAc-add did?

Chimes
Do I need the chime box? Is there a way I could tap into the wires to get the chimes to the center speaker? Or would it be better to ditch the chimes and be done with it ?

Interface adaptor -> Scosche DCGMOS2B11B

It looks very similar to the GMAH24B and the wiring setup looks the same.

Current setup

2007 C6 Z06 w/ bose & onstar

Alpine IVN-W505
Alpine AMP
All after-market speakers hooked to amp

Last edited by 805Z06; 04-16-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

so what exactly are you doing to get chimes come out of the center

in theory you should be able to take the wire for the front left between the schosce box and the gm harness into car and cut it and run the wire from the scosche side to the center speaker
Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

my understanding is that that interface doesnt do onstar
Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pentavolvo

in theory you should be able to take the wire for the front left between the schosce box and the gm harness into car and cut it and run the wire from the scosche side to the center speaker
my understanding is that that interface doesnt do onstar
The interface does Onstar. Once you push the Onstar button, the HU will turn off. At first, I didn't have any of the speaker wires connected from the Scosche to the HU, there was no Onstar.

I then taped a speaker wire (left front) between the Scosche interface and the HU. The Onstar works, but the sound is quite since it's not going through the amp.

I am still trying to figure out the signal process. It does not make sense to me yet. How do I get the Onstar signal to go through my AMP?

Chimes, I don't have any. I am not sure how to tap into it to get chimes. I connected the Left Front speaker from the Scosche and HU, just like I did for the Onstar setup. I then took the old left door speaker and plugged it in. I hear crappy stere sound, a little Onstar and no chimes.

I am going to try what you suggested tonight and see what happens.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 09:30 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

is it possiable that this unit just isnt compatiable with c6 which is why you dont have chimes

i know when i have done cars where i put in aftermarket amps etc i dont connect any speaker wires to the interface box, i cut the left front coming out of the box and route it to the center channel and it works
Old 04-17-2008, 10:38 AM
ssmith100
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

805Z06,

I don't know how different the factory amp for the vette is compared to my V but what I did was take the output for the left front speaker off my factory Bose amp and run it to my factory center channel speaker. I preset the volume before I removed my factory NAV to a level I liked. Now when I want to use onstar it cuts my W205 off and I get all my onstar calls through the center channel. All my chimes also come through the center channel.

Shane
Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

You got me somewhere

This is what I did. I disconnected all the speaker wires between the Scosche and the HU. I plugged the center speaker into the factory wires (clip-on). Onstar works and their is no stereo sounds coming out of the center speaker. That's what I wanted.

But, when Onstar turns on, the HU turns off, and their is noise coming out of the amp and the speakers. I guess it's because I have the amp hooked on accessory mode and not through the remote of the HU.

is it possiable that this unit just isnt compatiable with c6 which is why you dont have chimes

i know when i have done cars where i put in aftermarket amps etc i dont connect any speaker wires to the interface box, i cut the left front coming out of the box and route it to the center channel and it works
I don't have the Chime box, I think I need it. Are you saying that if I route the Left Speaker wire from the interface directly to the speaker chimes would work? Would this be the left front wire that is supposed to go the the hu or on the other side? Thanks

Originally Posted by ssmith100
805Z06,

I don't know how different the factory amp for the vette is compared to my V but what I did was take the output for the left front speaker off my factory Bose amp and run it to my factory center channel speaker. I preset the volume before I removed my factory NAV to a level I liked. Now when I want to use onstar it cuts my W205 off and I get all my onstar calls through the center channel. All my chimes also come through the center channel.

Shane
Are the chimes generated from the OEM unit or the amp? I will try to connect a speaker to the output from the OEM amp.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:48 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

ok you say the headunit turns off and you get noise when onstar is supposed to come on what noise exactly

as far as needing a chime box or not i just dont know cause i dont know what that unit is capable of

now if i loose you hear let me know. the onstar comes out of both front speakers and center channel with stock setup where as chimes only come from front left. what i would do is between your chimes/onstar box and the plug that goes into the car harness there should be a pair of white wires cut those and tape off the car side now on the box side run them with some speaker wire to your center speaker and solder it in or splice it in somehow this should get you onstar and chimes

either do that which im not sure if it will be loud enough or at the stock amp cut the front left output lead and wire that to the center channel.

basically you have onstar becuase it comes out the center channel but chimes only come out left which obviouslly you dont have stock hooked up

the chimes come from the radio via databus, im pretty sure ur interface is outputing chimes these just nothing hooked up to it
Old 04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

ok you say the headunit turns off and you get noise when onstar is supposed to come on what noise exactly

as far as needing a chime box or not i just dont know cause i dont know what that unit is capable of

now if i loose you hear let me know. the onstar comes out of both front speakers and center channel with stock setup where as chimes only come from front left. what i would do is between your chimes/onstar box and the plug that goes into the car harness there should be a pair of white wires cut those and tape off the car side now on the box side run them with some speaker wire to your center speaker and solder it in or splice it in somehow this should get you onstar and chimes

either do that which im not sure if it will be loud enough or at the stock amp cut the front left output lead and wire that to the center channel.

basically you have onstar becuase it comes out the center channel but chimes only come out left which obviouslly you dont have stock hooked up

the chimes come from the radio via databus, im pretty sure ur interface is outputing chimes these just nothing hooked up to it
I put back the stock nav just to do a test. I can get chimes and onstar through center speaker.

Basically, the chimes are being produced from the OEM HU.

Onstar part is solved. I am just going to use center speaker.

Chimes, I am going to order the chime box today and connect it to the center speaker.

The noise I hear is when Onstar comes on, Amp goes into mute mode I guess and it creates static.

I am going to try to do two things. One is cut the mute wire from the interface, the brown loop wire. This should prevent the interface from shutting down the unit when onstar is on.

The second thing I am going to try is to wire the amp remote to the HU.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:24 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

put amp remtoe straight to headunit

on my buddys car that mute wire had no effect on anything

the chimes are still there i think but maybe im wrong i cant find anything about that unit at all not even on scoshe site.

id still try tappin the left front speakere wires out of the interface box and see if you have chimes
Old 04-17-2008, 02:32 PM
ssmith100
Instructor

805Z06,

Yeah, you really need to move the remote turn on to the W505. That was the reason you were getting some noise when the deck shut down.

I really think the chimes come from the factory amp. I'd try to take the left front speaker coming out of the bose amp and tie into the center channel speaker. I bet you get everything you need.

Shane
Old 04-17-2008, 02:36 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

chimes do not come from factory amp the factory headunit produces them via that databus signal which is what tehse interfaces are supposed to do, i think the interface only sends it out on front left channel maybe but who knows
Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 PM
ssmith100
Instructor

Pentavolvo,

I'm sure you are correct, but the "V" also uses a data-bus system that when you replace the factory deck you have to get a "chime" kit. When I removed the factory NAV I inadvertently found out the the actual chimes and onstar were being reproduced at the factory amp and I could get them there. The vette may be totally different but my car was "supposed" to be the same way.

Shane
Old 04-17-2008, 04:39 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

i know on the vette when u install aftermarket amp and tap directly behind radio cutting out the factory amp u get chimes
Old 04-17-2008, 05:42 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

put amp remtoe straight to headunit

on my buddys car that mute wire had no effect on anything

the chimes are still there i think but maybe im wrong i cant find anything about that unit at all not even on scoshe site.

id still try tappin the left front speakere wires out of the interface box and see if you have chimes
1) I am going to put the amp remote to the HU, that should get rid of any distortion when the radio is not on.

2) I cut the brown loop (mute wire) on the interface. Know when I push the Onstar button, it does not turn of the head unit. I like that. I can make a call through the car and still have the music on.

3) I tired connecting the speaker wire after the interface (left front speaker), it does not work. What seems to work is just connecting the center speaker to the OEM location. Onstar works fine.

805Z06,

Yeah, you really need to move the remote turn on to the W505. That was the reason you were getting some noise when the deck shut down.

I really think the chimes come from the factory amp. I'd try to take the left front speaker coming out of the bose amp and tie into the center channel speaker. I bet you get everything you need.

Shane
1) Will do remote. Since I cut the mute wire, there is no more distortion.

I did a test for the chimes. I put back the OEM nav and had only the center speaker plugged. Chimes and Onstar worked through the center speaker. I then put my old ADD-Pac on the OEM nav, and the chimes and onstar worked through the center speaker.

The minute I put back the Alpine HU, the chimes do not work, but the Onstar works. That leads me to believe the chimes are from the OEM HU.

I even unplugged the OEM amplifier, the Onstar center speaker was lost.

Summary: Chimes and Onstar will work on center speaker. Onstar will work on center speaker. Chimes wont work on center speaker without OEM Nav.

Conclusion: I ordered the chime box. Should get it in a day or two.

Thanks guys
Old 04-17-2008, 05:45 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

i know on the vette when u install aftermarket amp and tap directly behind radio cutting out the factory amp u get chimes
Bingo, that's true. Before I put the Alpine HU. I had installed the after-makret amp and after-market speakers. The chimes were gone, but Onstar when through the amp.

But check this out, I connected the center speaker back with the OEM plug and the chimes did work with Onstar.

That's why again, I think the chimes are from the OEM head.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:48 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Shane,

I got a question for you. This is in regards to video playback on the Ipod/Iphone.

On my ipod, I am using the usb/ipod cable and I can get video and audio playback. When I plug in the Iphone I get no video playback but just audio.

Does your unit allow video playback on your iphone.

Get notified of new replies

To C6: Issues with Chimes & Onstar using after-market interface

Old 04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by 805Z06
Bingo, that's true. Before I put the Alpine HU. I had installed the after-makret amp and after-market speakers. The chimes were gone, but Onstar when through the amp.

But check this out, I connected the center speaker back with the OEM plug and the chimes did work with Onstar.

That's why again, I think the chimes are from the OEM head.
this makes no sense you should have had chimes still with aftermarket amp and speakers
Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 AM
ssmith100
Instructor

I haven't got my 505 installed yet as it won't be here till Monday. The best place to get an answer would be the DIY forum. There are at least three guys over there that have the 505 installed. I know the the 5th gen Ipod video work but I haven't heard any of them talk about the I phone.

Shane
Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

this makes no sense you should have had chimes still with aftermarket amp and speakers
I am still trying to figure it out.

Here is what I found out with testing:

1) OEM HU
PAC harness
Alpine Amp
factory center speaker unplugged
Onstar works (through components) but no chimes

2) OEM HU
Pac Hanress
Alpine AMP
factory center speaker plugged
Onstar speaker and chimes work, the components play onstar, center speaker plays onstar and chimes

3) Alpine HU
Alpine AMP
factory center speaker unplugged
no onstar and no chimes

4) Alpine HU
Alpine AMP
Onstar works through center speaker only, not components

5) Alpine HU
Alpine AMP
but this time, disconnected bose amp
no onstar and no chimes

I can't figure out the path of the audio signal. But, when the OEM HU is in the equation, chimes will come on through center speaker when plugged into factory plug.

I haven't got my 505 installed yet as it won't be here till Monday. The best place to get an answer would be the DIY forum. There are at least three guys over there that have the 505 installed. I know the the 5th gen Ipod video work but I haven't heard any of them talk about the I phone.

Shane
I saw somebody once play an Iphone on the ALPINE HU 205 model, I believe...trying to figure out what is different. Might need to make a thread over there.

Quick Reply: C6: Issues with Chimes & Onstar using after-market interface