Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Exceptional audio ideas please

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:10 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Exceptional audio ideas please

This is an unusual situation and one that could be passed over as impractical, etc.. but can I get some advise and constuctive comment?

There is someone in town here with a C5 he uses for racing. It is turbocharged and built from bottom up for about 900 hp at the flywheel and over 700 hp on the dyno rwhp. Used for racing about 90 minutes all over 150 mph and some over 200 mph.

He is asking for some advise on the audio system. It is not a stripped out interior car, still stock.

There is some limited street driving but this car is a workhorse and he wears a helmet while racing.

Is there any configuration that would allow some reasonable sound for music while driving with a helmet on? Obviously not high quality but what would it take for something listenable with helmet over loud car?

This car must be very exciting to drive. What if we added some great audio at the same time?

Just looking for some constructive ideas. May not even try to go there but would like some input.

Kale, please help...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmnn... Effiicent speakers with lots of power...

Whats the interior look like? is it stripped out?

easy answer is headphones inside the helmet, like a motorcycle set up.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 PM
minitech
Safety Car

The interior is stock and has the stock audio system. I was thinking of something with a sub and powerful front speakers that could be loud but not too distorted. It has so much power weight is not much of an issue so he didn't need to strip the interior. Could do the headphones but then miss the feel of the slamming sub.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Kale
Team Owner

you could do headphones AND a sub...
Old 04-28-2008, 10:36 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kale
you could do headphones AND a sub...
lol

i dont see why a beefy amp, front components and a sub wouldn't fit the bill.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by scott_fx
lol

i dont see why a beefy amp, front components and a sub wouldn't fit the bill.
Well a $15 set of headphones would sound significantly better and be waaay easier
Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kale
Well a $15 set of headphones would sound significantly better and be waaay easier
i agree, but if he didnt want to go the headphone route...
Old 04-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Kale
Team Owner

he could probably "hear" a loud 6.5 component set. I'd do front and rear speakers in this case.

Will he bother other racers, though?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:49 AM
0BOXOLOGY
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, given the situation if he doesn't want headphones his best option is some wave boat speakers maybe firing off of the windshield from the middle of the rear seats... they are extremely efficient and very loud on axis... and in this situation I think he is just looking for volume, not sq. and, trust me, they will be about as loud as he can get per watt, though they will do nothing, and I mean nothing for sq, staging, etc. They are basically small horns with a mid and enclosure that are meant for the water skiier to hear from the boat... they are extremely loud and need a really clean amp to be effective.

they have very little bass, so something will have to be done there as well... maybe some bass shakers for this setup will work good enough...

by no means would I recommend this setup for any other system.

Last edited by BOXOLOGY; 04-29-2008 at 12:52 AM. Reason: oops
Old 04-29-2008, 01:05 AM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

how loud can this car possibly be?? i'm going to put on my helmet and listen to my stereo right now!

ok... so i have my arai profile helmet on, it's not the quietest helmet in the world but it's a great great quality helmet. i have my stereo at below my normal listening level and i have an air cleaner canked at full flow... no problems hearing the stereo. i even have my head turned to the side so the speaker is aimed at the side of my head.

Last edited by scott_fx; 04-29-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by scott_fx
how loud can this car possibly be?? i'm going to put on my helmet and listen to my stereo right now!

ok... so i have my arai profile helmet on, it's not the quietest helmet in the world but it's a great great quality helmet. i have my stereo at below my normal listening level and i have an air cleaner canked at full flow... no problems hearing the stereo. i even have my head turned to the side so the speaker is aimed at the side of my head.
Good point. Didn't think of testing the helmet sound first. May not be that bad then.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
There is someone in town here with a C5 he uses for racing. It is turbocharged and built from bottom up for about 900 hp at the flywheel and over 700 hp on the dyno rwhp. Used for racing about 90 minutes all over 150 mph and some over 200 mph.
What kind of racing is for 90 minutes all at over 150 mph???? And WHAT pray tell, is he doing trying to listen to music while participating in this activity?????

I am a high performance driving instructor for the National Corvette Museum Driver events. I wear a helmet when I'm on the track as do my students. We use headphones to talk to each other. Some helmets, depending on the fit, you can hear fine. Others, particularly when well fitting and new, are almost impossible over the noise of the car and the fact that windows are required to be down. High frequencies are certainly out of the question.

I'd like to hear more about this racing.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Db drag?

I'll be here all night.

Get notified of new replies

To Exceptional audio ideas please

Quick Reply: Exceptional audio ideas please