Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing OEM Nav in a Bose Equipped C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 AM
bub
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Installing OEM Nav in a Bose Equipped C6

Can someone summarize the procedure for installing GM OEM Nav into a C6 (equipped with Bose for me), or at least point me to the appropriate link?

How much of the dash do you have to tear into? What exactly has to be done with the Tech 2 and how is it done at the dealership?

I've tried searching to no avail.

Where is the GPS receiver located? I thought it was in the dash behind the head unit?

Is this the correct GM P/N for the GPS receiver antenna?

NAV antenna GM part number 15821094 lists for $64.35 (can get thru GMPartsDirect for like $45 delivered).

Last edited by bub; 08-14-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:30 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Medriver described in the other thread where the GPS antenna goes, and since he's actually removed it I'll defer to him on that.

As far as Tech II goes, the dealer goes into the car's BCM (Body Control Module) and locks the NAV unit to the VIN that's hard-programminged into the BCM for your car. I can't quote the exact procedure because I'm not a GM tech, but basically it's like digging through any computer menu system.

Other than that, removing the console has been documented more times than I can count, including in my install thread linked below in my sig. You need to pull that, remove a few more screws to pull the radio, unplug it, mount and plug in the GPS antenna, plug in the factory harnesses and you're finished except the Tech II programming.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

ive done it in an hour for a customer from start to finish... helps when the dealership is 10 min away and u kno someone there in and out
Old 08-14-2008, 03:28 PM
bub
Safety Car

Thanks for the links guys.

Does anyone have any pics, especially of the GPS receiver antennae.

I don't want to go aftermarket at this point, preferring to keep "stock".
Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by bub
Thanks for the links guys.

Does anyone have any pics, especially of the GPS receiver antennae.

I don't want to go aftermarket at this point, preferring to keep "stock".
Sorry for my delay in responding. Man, I had problems with access to the forum today.

To install the radio/head unit it is just going to be a matter of taking off the console surround and swapping out the old Bose unit with the new nav head unit. With a 2LZ you have the HUD and the correct harness that you need to integrate the nav so that will be fairly plug and play for you.

The antenna is a different story however. Unfortunately the nav anteanna is located under the dash pad and it is mounted just behind the HVAC vents and in front of the center speaker. Here is a photo from the service manual of the nav antenna mounting location.

You will need to remove the entire dash pad in order to do it correctly to factory spec. Some have given up and simply mounted the antenna on top of the dash for simplicity. Once installed you will need a trip to the dealer to have the head unit introduced to the car and registered to disable the anti-theft and have it operate correctly.

Paul
Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 PM
bub
Safety Car

Thanks Talon, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Can you post the dash pad removal pic/procedure. I don't have an '08 service manual yet.

and thanks again.

Do you have to remove the whole dash pad, or just loosen enough to get the bugger in there?

Looks like push pins secure the ant.?

Last edited by bub; 08-14-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:56 PM
bub
Safety Car

Found this pic of antennae (on right)...is the box on left XM module? Not related to nav swap right...some salvager selling w/ unit.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:09 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

left is xm unit, you can still use oem antenna just stick it on top of vents no need to rip the whole dash pad off to mount it
Old 08-15-2008, 12:33 AM
bub
Safety Car

Best descriptor I have found of mounting it in stock location for best reception...originally posted by Cernio2000 in a Nav F/S post by another party:

"When you have the head unit out, if you look to the upper left corner inside the dash you will see what looks like a pedastal. To understand how the antenna goes up there, you will need to see the antenna. It is screwed on to a flat metal plate which happens to have holes in each corner that matches up to that pedastal. The issue here is that the antenna is held in place by simple regular push pins. For the one that goes closest to the front of the car, it's a matter of giving that push pin the added amount of umph that it takes to squeeze it between the underside of the dash and the hole that it goes in to. For the front most one, there is no way in hell you will get it in there without taking the dash apart. One service manual says to drop the whole A/C assembly, the other says to pull the instrument panel cluster. I tired the latter and it was a waste of my time. What you CAN do though is simply use a zip strip in place of the push pin for the rear one. Had to take nothing extra apart and it secures it rather well, as good or better than the push pin would. Have to use a little thinking to get it in there but only took a minute or two. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to be able to grab the zip strip and tighten the zip strip up. Not that hard after you study it. "

Perhaps the only enhancement I could offer is to use some double stick tape (or maybe even velcro?) in addition to the zip tie at the back hole to minimize any lateral motion and source for noise?

Last edited by bub; 08-15-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:09 AM
bub
Safety Car

Default Bought this puppy online tonight...

GM retrofit in box...$820+$35 shipping...

Comes with nav disc v 3.0...is this the latest? Is this P/N 25852830 per the gm nav disc. site?

It's from a 2007 Z, and my research shows same P/N for 2008 (steering wheel control compatable I assume is the diff.). Great shape, only used about 8 months.

Ordered new antenna from GMPartsDirect.com for $45 delivered (gm part number 15821094 lists for $64.35 ). That puts me at $900 for a $1750 RPO. Not bad, plus I still have the factory CD if I want to go back or put that back in later on resale.

Last edited by bub; 08-15-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Chris

I got your PM, but I think everything in this thread covers things pretty well. The only other thing I could add is the 2-1/2 pages of instructions in the service manual on how to remove the entire instrument panel. I think you should avoid doing that if you can because it involves things like removing the steering wheel, etc., i.e. it looks like a quite involved process.

Talon90's picture from the manual of the antenna sitting on top of the HVAC vents shows where it goes. Your picture of the actual antenna shows the plastic push pins that go into the holes.

If you want the instrument panel removal info out of the manual let me know and I'll scan them - but I really think that you don't want to do that procedure!

The current Nav disc is version 4 (and version 5 should actually be out this month with the intro of the '09 model year).

Version 4 is actually 2 discs. The entire highway system is on either/both of the discs, but they've added a lot of POI's and the eastern part of the country is on one and the western part on the other, with some overlap in the middle.

Good luck with the insallation!

Bob
Old 08-15-2008, 12:05 PM
bub
Safety Car

Many thanks guys...

Parts are enroute, and I am making arrangements with my local dealer to do the Tech 2 work.

Again thanks for all the replies. I'll try to post pics here when I start the project.

One last bit I may need help on is removal of the '08 shift boot. It is different from my '06 (that I did last Fall) in that the chrome ring near the bottom of the **** is a bit different. I can't recall where I saw the post about that one.

Maybe someone with an '08 service manual could post the boot removal procedure at the ****?

-CKB

Last edited by bub; 08-17-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:37 AM
bub
Safety Car

Something came to mind last night while I was watching my Owner's DVD.

Will my 3 months free XM subscription work after changing out the nav head unit?

Does the XM radio ID reside in the head unit or in the separate XM module that isn't being replaced?

Not a biggie, just a curiosity more than anything else.

-CKB
Old 08-17-2008, 11:55 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by bub
Something came to mind last night while I was watching my Owner's DVD.

Will my 3 months free XM subscription work after changing out the nav head unit?

Does the XM radio ID reside in the head unit or in the separate XM module that isn't being replaced?

Not a biggie, just a curiosity more than anything else.

-CKB
The XM radio ID is built into the XM tuner, not the head unit, and it won't care which head is controlling it. The XM sub will continue just fine once you get the new unit VIN-locked to your car.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:08 PM
bub
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
The XM radio ID is built into the XM tuner, not the head unit, and it won't care which head is controlling it. The XM sub will continue just fine once you get the new unit VIN-locked to your car.
Thanks Komono.

You're money.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:35 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bub
Thanks Komono.

You're money.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes. I may try to find a unit to put in my new car sometime this winter.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:45 PM
bub
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jschindler
Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes. I may try to find a unit to put in my new car sometime this winter.
Jim:

If you elect to do this, just be sure you get a 2007-2009 unit (GM # 15791220/Denso Part # 468100-5600 {not 5350!!!} pictured above), not a 2005-2006 (GM Part # is 15292581/Denso Part # 468100-5320 for the '05-'06).

Otherwise you may lose the steering wheel controls. There is a P/N difference that began in 2007 and I can only suspect it has to do with the addition of steering wheel controls.

Last edited by bub; 09-19-2008 at 12:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing OEM Nav in a Bose Equipped C6

Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bub
Jim:

If you elect to do this, just be sure you get a 2007-2009 unit (GM # 15791220 pictured above), not a 2005-2006 (GM Part # is 15292581/Denso Part # 468100-5320 for the '05-'06).

Otherwise you may lose the steering wheel controls. There is a P/N difference that began in 2007 and I can only suspect it has to do with the addition of steering wheel controls.
I wondered about that - thanks for the advice.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:19 PM
bub
Safety Car

Another helpful resource link...

http://www.skyhighphotos.smugmug.com...8_gpHqR#P-1-15
Old 09-06-2008, 06:38 PM
tdawgdrako
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will also want to swap out my bose unit in my 06 C6 with a factory nav unit. However, when I called the dealer about getting an antena, they told me that I would also need a "special instal kit" since my car did not come with a nav receiever.

Is this true or are they giving me a line?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Installing OEM Nav in a Bose Equipped C6