Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! How do I hook up subs and Amp to Stock Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:48 AM
d1ngokellz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! How do I hook up subs and Amp to Stock Head Unit

I've searched the audio section and cannot get a clear simplified answer. I just bought an Amp, Subs, and a box. I installed the power and ground but when i went to hook up the RCA i noticed the stock head unit did not have the hookup (duh). I have read an couple of threads briefly talking about splicing into the rear speakers but it does not explain how. What is the simplest step by step method for install aftermarket subs and amp to the stock head unit. BTW the car is a 99 vert
Old 12-28-2008, 11:49 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

tapping the rear speakers will not work. read the c5 faq this is all discussed in there. there is a whole howto i wrote specifically involving parts u can buy locally to do this that is one page back from the last or may be 2
Old 12-28-2008, 02:31 PM
d1ngokellz
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. That was actually the guide i was following to begin with but did not understand part of it.

You say "When you splice your rcas in the common or outer ring will all get spliced to the light blue wire. Splice the positive or tip wire to the corresponding wires from above. Now you are all set for an aftermarket amp."

what is the common or outer ring? I spliced the brown wire to my white(left) RCA cable and the dark blue qirw to my red(right) RCA. I then ran these back to my amp and when i turn on the radio now nothing but static. The radio stations do not play anymore!

Any help clarifying this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:05 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

if u read my part about what to get at radioshack to do this it will help u

there are 2 wires for left rca and 2 for the right rca, its not as simple as wrapping it around ur rca end, get the pieces i link to radioshack
Old 12-29-2008, 12:45 AM
d1ngokellz
Advanced

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
if u read my part about what to get at radioshack to do this it will help u

there are 2 wires for left rca and 2 for the right rca, its not as simple as wrapping it around ur rca end, get the pieces i link to radioshack
I ended up pulling the old female RCA plugs from an old head unit and soldering the Brown to the white RCA and the Bark Blue to the red RCA, I then took the other wire from the RCA and ran it to the Light Blue wire. Everything seems to work great now, thanks for the help.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

glad u got it working, i really need to take some pics next time i do it to help ppl out

Get notified of new replies

To Help! How do I hook up subs and Amp to Stock Head Unit

Quick Reply: Help! How do I hook up subs and Amp to Stock Head Unit