Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Why is auxbox needed for C5 radio aux inputs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:25 PM
BTrey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is auxbox needed for C5 radio aux inputs?

Does anyone know why an auxbox, pxdx or similar is needed to use the aux inputs on a C5 factory radio? Why couldn't I order a PXHGM4 harness, cut off the end which plugs into the pxdx and solder on a mini-headphone jack or cable to connect to an external device? I'm not looking for control or charging capability, just a way to feed an external source into the radio.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:58 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

The gizmos simulate a changer being installed. The radio doesn't have an aux input that can just be selected. You need to have something there that makes it think a changer is connected and playing, then substitute the new audio for what should be coming from the changer. Does that make sense? I guess the radio is just too 'smart' to try to play something that it doesn't know is there

If you have an actual changer already installed you can do something similar to what you're asking, click here for that schematic.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM
BTrey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simulating CD changer

Yes, I suspected that there must be some sort of signal to tell the H/U that a changer is attached, but I doubt that it's any sort of complex signal. It's most likely simply a voltage or a ground applied to a specific pin, maybe a resistance between two pins. I strongly doubt that it's anything so complex it requires $75 or so worth of electronics to pull it off. The problem is figuring out what it is. Anyone ever opened up an auxbox or one of the other devices? Pics of the inside, if anyone has them, would be wonderful.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:03 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

its more complicated then you think

check out ls1tech there is a how to add an aux input by doing some splicing inside the radio it also works on the vette
Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Other than the audio & power wires there's only one serial data wire that the radio and changer use to communicate with each other. Check out the schematics here to see for yourself.

Sometimes you even have to jump through hoops to get the radio to 'recognize' a stock changer. The aftermarket units make it even more finicky.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is auxbox needed for C5 radio aux inputs?

Quick Reply: Why is auxbox needed for C5 radio aux inputs?