Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

After Market CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:44 AM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default After Market CD Changer

Can I add an aftermarket cd changer to my stock system?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techtip...=224&TopicID=1

I cannot get this link to work. Can someone answer this question? I was looking at the Pioneer CDX-FM1289 etc. Later! Frank

Last edited by fnsblum; 09-04-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:32 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

That unit would work, but you'd also need to buy a set of GM antenna adapter plugs for it (one big to small, one reverse).

Have you heard of MP3's? For less than half the cost of that changer you could get a similar interface (like this) and connect a cheap MP3 player that can hold your entire CD collection (not just 12 at a time). The same antenna adapters would be needed for any of the FM transmitter gizmos that plug in to the antenna cable.

There are other ways to get an aux input to a C5. Cor-Har + GM10-Aux is how I first did it in my '01, ipod2car is also an option if you want to buy a dockable ipod.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:40 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I have heard of MP3s. Until just recently I thought they were just portable CD players. I am 65 and not up on all the latest electronics but my #1 son is. Can you give me a brief run down on just what is involved with the wiring? Thanks. Frank
Old 09-04-2009, 09:48 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm assuming this is for a C5, even though your profile says you have a C4

The changer you mentioned or the gizmo I linked to above would both be installed the same way:

To get the tunes to the radio you just unplug the antenna from the back of the rdio and plug it into the FM modulator box, plug the cable from that box into the back of the radio (since GM uses a non-standard size antenna plug you'd also need this and this, or similar). Then tune the radio to whatever station you have the gizmo set to.

To power the new toys you need to tap into +12V somewhere.

Since we're talking about a C5, and it looks like a coupe, you would be able to do everything without removing the dash The coupe has a powered antenna module behind the drivers seat. You could connect the antenna leads there, tap into the existing green wire (with one of these) to use as your +12v for the red wire on the new gizmo, and use the ground bolt on the wall for the black wire on the new gizmo. The stock green wire at the antenna module is +12VDC and controlled by the radio, so your new toy would work whenever the radio is turned on, and only when the radio is turned on.

MP3's are simple. Put a CD into your computer, convert it to MP3 format (about 1/10th the memory space as 'audio' format), load it on to whatever player you have.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by markcz
I'm assuming this is for a C5, even though your profile says you have a C4

The changer you mentioned or the gizmo I linked to above would both be installed the same way:

To get the tunes to the radio you just unplug the antenna from the back of the rdio and plug it into the FM modulator box, plug the cable from that box into the back of the radio (since GM uses a non-standard size antenna plug you'd also need this and this, or similar). Then tune the radio to whatever station you have the gizmo set to.

To power the new toys you need to tap into +12V somewhere.

Since we're talking about a C5, and it looks like a coupe, you would be able to do everything without removing the dash The coupe has a powered antenna module behind the drivers seat. You could connect the antenna leads there, tap into the existing green wire (with one of these) to use as your +12v for the red wire on the new gizmo, and use the ground bolt on the wall for the black wire on the new gizmo. The stock green wire at the antenna module is +12VDC and controlled by the radio, so your new toy would work whenever the radio is turned on, and only when the radio is turned on.

MP3's are simple. Put a CD into your computer, convert it to MP3 format (about 1/10th the memory space as 'audio' format), load it on to whatever player you have.

as far as using the 12v that is controlled by the radio may not work, tried using it once for the switched source for an xm receiver and was no dice it drew too much power

Get notified of new replies

To After Market CD Changer

Quick Reply: After Market CD Changer