Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

What size speakers are in a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Jack Daniels
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size speakers are in a C5?

I have a 2002 C5 ZO6 and am going to head to Best Buy later on to look at speaker options. I suppose the guys there might know, but can anyone tell me the speaker sizes of all the speakers in the car to make sure they are pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:39 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Are you just replacing the speakers and keeping the stock radio, or is this part of the new HU you've been posting about looking for.

In a C5Z the rears are 5.25", if you keep them functional that's pretty much what you're stuck with.

Front 'twiddlers' are 3.5", but there is also a self powered 'sub' type speaker in each door that's 8". The sub can't really be replaced with an aftermarket equivalent.

What most people do is remove the sub/twiddler assembly and put in a 6.5" coax or component set on custom (or self made) plates, then add a sub in the trunk. In a C5 the center tub is perfect for a stealth sub or bazooka type tube.

If you just want to improve the sound of the stock system, new 3.5" speakers in the doors will do fine. Polk db351 and Boston Acoustic S35 are popular, but any 4 ohm speaker will do.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Jack Daniels
Pro

Thanks a bunch markcz.

Yes, this is in connection with the new HU. I need the HU for an audio-in port and I read how crummy the stock speakers are so want to replace HU and speakers as well.

But gosh is this stuff complicated.

Let me ask you this--could I simply pay to have the HU and the 3.5" speakers replaced, then down the road make the other upgrades you talked about if I want to improve the sound further? Presumably so.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:03 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

To swap out the HU and keep the stock speaker setup you'd want an ROEM-Vet1 gizmo.

Swapping the front twiddlers can be done before, during, or anytime after changing the HU.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Jack Daniels
Pro

Hey, I went to Best Buy and they said I had 6" up front, 8" in rear. That does not seem consistent mark. Were they giving me the stats for a regular C5? Or were they just smoking crack?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:37 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

They be trippin

The door subs are 8"

The door twiddlers are 3.5"

In verts and Z's the rears are 5.25"

In coupes the rears are 6.5"

Do a search, read through the C5 FAQ, Best Buy is wrong

There are a very few that are different (base model '99 FRC's IIRC), so all that being said, the only way to be 100% sure is to take apart the car and check for yourself

Get notified of new replies

To What size speakers are in a C5?

Quick Reply: What size speakers are in a C5?