Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT or Kenwood DNX7140

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Raccer69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT or Kenwood DNX7140

Ok I have a '09 2LT non bose and am wanting to install an in dash GPS and these are the two I am trying to decide between. Pioneer AVIC Z110BT or the Kenwood DNX7140. What are some of the Pros/Cons of each. As for the rest of them system I plan on keeping my factory speakers for now and adding an 8" sub and an amp. Also I will want to retain my XM so I know I will have to get the add on module for that.
Thanks for the input..
Old 12-20-2009, 04:26 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Raccer69
Ok I have a '09 2LT non bose and am wanting to install an in dash GPS and these are the two I am trying to decide between. Pioneer AVIC Z110BT or the Kenwood DNX7140. What are some of the Pros/Cons of each. As for the rest of them system I plan on keeping my factory speakers for now and adding an 8" sub and an amp. Also I will want to retain my XM so I know I will have to get the add on module for that.
Thanks for the input..

I myself love the Kenwood

But
the Pioneer Z110 has more features than the 7140 does

I have all the Pioneer and Kenwood as a package for your car complete with all items needed for install as well.

http://www.doubledmods.com/DOUBLE-DI...-UNITS_c12.htm
Old 12-20-2009, 06:03 PM
FrameWise
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raccer69
Thanks for the input..
Both are very good units, I went with the AVIC Z110BT for mainly two reasons, 4 volt preamp and the AVIC seemed to have a faster interface.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:23 PM
tspero
Advanced

I also went with the Z110BT in my 2010 1LT (non-Bose) coupe. I'm very satisfied and it's full of functionality. I hid the USB & iPod connectors in the glove box, the GPS receiver under the dash (invisible) and the bluetooth mic in the corner of the window behind the sun visor. I've included a couple pictures.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-22-2009, 02:29 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the AVIC 700 BT, so mine is older, but from what I can tell they haven't fixed my main complaint with the new units. #1, you can't upload multiple (read thousands) of POI's necessary to make speed trap and red light camera services like phantom alter work. #2, there isn't any time distance, speed, etc type of data available on most GPS. #3 iPod connectivity and voice recognition is slow at best. I think the Pioneer is better built, but their lack of even parity much less innovation in added features is disapointing and talking to their business development groupd leaves you wondering.

The quality of the blue tooth hands free phone is stunning. Very good even in the noisy vette.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

having installed a number of both kenwood gets my vote. The menus for changing settings and adjustments are a bit trickier on the kenwood, but the ipod controls are way faster, and in my opinion the unit it self is faster, not to mention its garmin based nav
Old 12-22-2009, 04:09 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put the Pioneer in our 3500GMC dually, if you knew what I got it for you, hmmmm

I have to build the audio cables and get my amps here to finish the install.

Arc Audio Mini amps like I have in the Vert and if I like the Pioneer unit I will get one for the Vert next.

Rick
Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pioneer is also Garmin based nav but don't let that fool you. My Garmin Nuvi 660 has way more functionality than my AVIC F700BT. I like the unit, and it is slow on iPod especially if you don't limit how often it updates the voice recognition library. I almost never use the voice commands by the way.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:19 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by grantar2
Pioneer is also Garmin based nav but don't let that fool you. My Garmin Nuvi 660 has way more functionality than my AVIC F700BT. I like the unit, and it is slow on iPod especially if you don't limit how often it updates the voice recognition library. I almost never use the voice commands by the way.

The Kenwood is Garmin based
Old 12-24-2009, 02:11 AM
MSO4
Racer

Originally Posted by tspero
I also went with the Z110BT in my 2010 1LT (non-Bose) coupe. I'm very satisfied and it's full of functionality.
I was playing with both the Z110BT and the 7410 at Fry's Electronic today. I noticed that the buttons are super small. Even on the OEM Bose stereo I find it difficult to change channels using the preset buttons (and those buttons are 2-3x bigger than the ones on the Z110BT). By this I mean when you're driving over bumps isn't it difficult to press those little buttons?

The only one with large buttons is the 6410. And that one even comes with a rotary volume button. I will say that the Z110BT screen is impressive! Way better than all the Kenwood ones. Maybe the next generation Kenwood will have that screen.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:05 AM
tspero
Advanced

Originally Posted by MSO4
I was playing with both the Z110BT and the 7410 at Fry's Electronic today. I noticed that the buttons are super small. Even on the OEM Bose stereo I find it difficult to change channels using the preset buttons (and those buttons are 2-3x bigger than the ones on the Z110BT). By this I mean when you're driving over bumps isn't it difficult to press those little buttons?
There's only 8 buttons on the unit, and I guess they need to be small due to the screen being huge. I'll admit, during the first week I was getting confused between the volume and track change buttons, but after that I was able to use it instinctively without looking at the buttons. I believe there's also an adapter you can purchase to link it up with your steering wheel audio controls. I choose to skip that adapter, however.

For what ever it's worth, the Z110BT is also extremely easy to hack (bypass) to allow DVD movies to play (for the passenger of course) and navigation routes to be entered while the car is in motion. You might check to ensure this is easily possible with the Kenwood since needing to pull the parking brake every time you want to add a route is a pain! I've also received a number of amazed comments when a passenger saw a DVD playing on that big 7" screen with Dolby Digital sound while we're cruising around town... It's spectular!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:56 AM
MSO4
Racer

I've also received a number of amazed comments when a passenger saw a DVD playing on that big 7" screen with Dolby Digital sound while we're cruising around town... It's spectular!
I agree, comparing the screens between the Z110BT and the Kenwood is like comparing a new LCD TV versus an old tube TV. For that much money I'm surprised Kenwood can't come up with a better screen. Originally I was going with the Kenwood but that Pioneer screen is just amazing. And it's only about $100 more than the Kenwood after the rebate.

I'm still a little hesitant because I use nav a lot and I'm so used to the Garmin nav and all its features. I'm not sure how good the Pioneer nav is. So far I've heard that the Z110 does not display speed limit while you drive. I use that feature a lot when using my Garmin nav. I also like the fact that the clock on the Z110 is bigger than the Kenwood.

I think you can hack the Kenwood by using the chasis as a ground instead of the brake and be able to use the DVD while driving.

I'm definitely planning to use the steering adapter with either unit. It's only $50 and I think it's a definite must. Although I don't know how good that thing is.

Maybe I'll go back to the shop and check out the Z110BT again today. I like the Kenwood but the screen looks like a dinosaur.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:12 PM
MSO4
Racer

So I just found these videos (2 parts) on the Z110BT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaCdq...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2fGD...eature=related

All I can say is, WOW!!!

I love the voice command on the navigation. Just say the city, street, and number. One thing I don't like when I use my Garmin Nuvi is that you have to manually enter that info. If you do this while driving, it's quite a chore. So now I'm leaning toward this unit.

A question for you guys, do I need another cable for the iphone/ipod? What about HD radio, does it come with it or do I need to guy an antenna or something?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Raccer69
Advanced

From the research I done on the Z110BT you can add HD but have to buy the HD box and you have to by a seperate cable for the IPOD.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:49 PM
MSO4
Racer

Ok found it. The unit cost about $100. But it seems that the sound is pretty weak so I'll skip HD radio.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:05 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

fyi to who posted about hackin the kenwood its easier on a kenwood then the pioneer fyi
Old 12-25-2009, 02:40 PM
MSO4
Racer

I believe there's also an adapter you can purchase to link it up with your steering wheel audio controls. I choose to skip that adapter, however.
Did you by chance hook up an iphone/ipod to your Z110BT? I like to put one under the armrest console.

I ordered the pioneer Z110 last night and was about to purchase their iphone cable (CD-IU50V). However, the illustration shows that cable being 0.5m or 1.6ft. That doesn't seem long enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT or Kenwood DNX7140

Old 12-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Vegas Vette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts

I have two Z100BT's one in my C5 Z06 and one in my DD could not be happer. I know there are the Kenwood lovers on here but for the price you cant beat it. With all the hype about the 9140 it was a huge let down IMO I really think Kenwood could have done better.

So I just found these videos (2 parts) on the Z110BT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaCdq...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2fGD...eature=related

All I can say is, WOW!!!

I love the voice command on the navigation. Just say the city, street, and number. One thing I don't like when I use my Garmin Nuvi is that you have to manually enter that info. If you do this while driving, it's quite a chore. So now I'm leaning toward this unit.

A question for you guys, do I need another cable for the iphone/ipod? What about HD radio, does it come with it or do I need to guy an antenna or something?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:04 PM
tspero
Advanced

Did you by chance hook up an iphone/ipod to your Z110BT? I like to put one under the armrest console.

I ordered the pioneer Z110 last night and was about to purchase their iphone cable (CD-IU50V). However, the illustration shows that cable being 0.5m or 1.6ft. That doesn't seem long enough.
I have the iPod connector on my Z110. It runs very easily into the glove box. I'm not sure if it would be long enough for the center console, however.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Raccer69
Advanced

I ordered one off of that well known auction site and the cables on it are at least 6 feet long. It has this part number on it. GCCD-IU50V

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT or Kenwood DNX7140