Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Re-designing my C4 sound system -advice welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:47 AM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re-designing my C4 sound system -advice welcomed

1988 targa Vette.
Several years ago I got some good advice from this forum, in particular Kale, and I put together a simple sound system.

I've heard so much better systems lately and my head unit just died, which prompts me to start again.

Sorry for the long post but I could use some advice from the pro's -

I want loud clean sound. I don't want to loose any space in the cargo area.

I have a 500 watts pmp amp mounted above the passenger footwell and 6x9's in the doors and rear.

Picrures of the amp mounting and head unit here http://robhealey.com.au/Corvette/projects/377/

The volume has been OK but the sound lacks range, it's not ultra high and of course is missing what a sub gives.

The head unit had an 8 band graphic EQ which could improve the sound but I never got it really good - I'm a musician and understand sound frequencies etc.

My Logitech PC sound system has an 'active' sub whatever that is and ten little 2" speakers and it sounds good. So I can see I must have a sub. But my rule of not loosing any space includes not using one of the storage bins- yep I'm making it hard on myself!

Having had the vette for some time, I now think that the door speakers are so low they are no good for highs, and that the rear speakers reflect on the glass hatch and they are the place for the mids and highs.

I'm wondering if somehow I can mount a sub behind the dash?? My vette is converted to right hand drive so things are not standard behind there!!

Otherwise maybe have subs in the doors, but they'd have to be 6x9 size and not intrude too far into the door, the ones there are a close fit with the glass when the window is down.

I also think I need some tweeters, probably on the window pillars?

I would welcome any thoughts and advice on all that.

Last edited by Stingraynut; 06-03-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 AM
snoopdan
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my suggestion is this. Put componant's in the doors. What I did is I took off the bose speaker locations and mounted a thin wooden plate behind the door panel to accomodate a 6.5" midbass and mounted the tweeters in the doors too. I have CDT EF componants, powered by a Memphis 2x150 amp...and let me tell you, it screams. I wouldn't bother with putting 6x9's in the back, rather fabricate some plates that cover the stock 6x9 location and put 8" subs back there. Maybe some Tang Bands, Trubass, or Sundown E8's.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:39 AM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the ideas, I still think the speakers in the doors are too low down and get muffled by our legs. Are your tweeters higher up?

I have identical 6x9 speakers in doors and rear and when I run the fader from one end to the other it is the rears that give more mids and highs (not enough though)

Everything I have ever read on the C4 forum says 'Don't bother with putting speakers in the dash top"- so there must be a good reason, but it seems like a good place for speakers, where they will reflect off the glass back into the cockpit.

Any comments on that?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:36 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Time to get rid of the 6x9's. Install some components in the doors, mount the tweeters up on the dash by making some speaker pods for them. Below is a how to on the pods, they will work great, I did this in my car. It really raises the sound stage. Then put your subs in the rear speakers compartment, two 8"er's will fit w/ no problems. If you need some pictures, just let me know.

Randy

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...eter-pods.html
Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Hi RandyJ75 - thanks for the info, that tweeter pod is a great idea.

A hundred people can tell me something before the light globe lights up!! and your post is the one thats done it!!

I have never really thought what 'component' means- I've now done some research and it all makes sense. Using full range speakers is a compromise and what I am hearing from them is a compromise. All the good systems I have heard in the last 3 years were component. Thats the way to go.

One bummer is that I cut the doors to fit the 6x9's, but I can make a plate or whatever to cover the hole and make a new hole for the component mid range speakers.

I still think the door speakers get muffled by our legs - any thoughts on that?

What about 8" subs in the doors and mids in the rear and tweeters on the windscreen pillar? or does that make for a weird sound stage?

And why does everyone say not to use the dash speaker holes?

Most head units have 52 watts per channel, is that enough to drive the mids/tweeters and I use the amp for the subs?

Should I buy all same brand subs,mids, tweeter? Do they come with a crossover?

this is something i don't know much about.

If you have pictures, please send me the link.

Thanks for illuminating me!! I'm on track, now got to sort out what speakers to get etc - being in Australia we don't always have the same brands as you do.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Stingraynut
Hi RandyJ75 - thanks for the info, that tweeter pod is a great idea.

A hundred people can tell me something before the light globe lights up!! and your post is the one thats done it!!

I have never really thought what 'component' means- I've now done some research and it all makes sense. Using full range speakers is a compromise and what I am hearing from them is a compromise. All the good systems I have heard in the last 3 years were component. Thats the way to go.

One bummer is that I cut the doors to fit the 6x9's, but I can make a plate or whatever to cover the hole and make a new hole for the component mid range speakers.

I still think the door speakers get muffled by our legs - any thoughts on that?
Yes, they do especially the highs. That's why you need to raise the sound stage w/ the tweeter pods.

What about 8" subs in the doors and mids in the rear and tweeters on the windscreen pillar? or does that make for a weird sound stage?

I would think it would, plus 8" subs will never fit into a Corvette door.

And why does everyone say not to use the dash speaker holes?

You can use them for your tweeters, you would just need to wire them out of phase. But I would still use the pods, it will give you the ability to adjust the sound stage.

Most head units have 52 watts per channel, is that enough to drive the mids/tweeters and I use the amp for the subs?

No, it is not. A HU only supplies 52 watts of PEAK power, not continuous power. For great sound, you will need an amp, but you don't have to go crazy w/ power; 50 to 75 watts is plenty.

Should I buy all same brand subs,mids, tweeter? Do they come with a crossover?

Mids, tweeters and crossovers are sold as a set. Polk, Focal, Hertz, Rainbow are all good brands, and have all kinds of prices. I had Elemental Designs subs in my car, and really liked them. The best thing for you to do is to go to an Audio store and listen to different brands of speakers, as every ones taste is different.

this is something i don't know much about.

If you have pictures, please send me the link.

Thanks for illuminating me!! I'm on track, now got to sort out what speakers to get etc - being in Australia we don't always have the same brands as you do.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To Re-designing my C4 sound system -advice welcomed

Quick Reply: Re-designing my C4 sound system -advice welcomed