Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Now I need some help... speaker VC damage.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Now I need some help... speaker VC damage.

I want to run my Focal Utopias again... I miss them a lot. I'll put them in my DD.

Bit of a problem though,

The cat knocked one of my woofers off the desk and it landed. Ever since then, there's a ticking sound during bass notes. Otherwise it sounds fine.

Any thoughts on fixin this sucka?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:32 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes but way to tired to go over it right now buddy, it is a "laying on of hands" approach I learned from my buddies at ID

Way to brain dead to help much right now so be patient please

Rick
Old 02-20-2011, 03:59 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Much appreciated and anticipated my friend!
Old 02-20-2011, 02:38 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, I can think a bit better, it was my wife's birthday and we partied until 5 AM, dancing, killer music, food, just her, my son, our Akita and Irish Wolfhound and cat Neither of us stay up past 10 PM very often so this was a bit unusual but sure fun!

First see if you can determine if the basket is out of round. It would not take much to cause the voice coil to rub, the gap is pretty small on good speakers, it has to be.

If so possibly you can pull it back into shape which might fix the rubbing.

If not the set the speaker down, reach in with your fingers onto the back of the cone and thumbs on the front, evenly spaced on each side of the speaker.

Gently push up and down and listen and feel for the rub location.

VERY carefully, push up on one side, down on the other to torque the cone a bit so the voice coil no longer rubs. Once you know which direction to go then use a bit more force to get the VC to bend slightly.

Test it again, worse, better, same results,,,work at it until you find the sweet spot and no more rubbing.

This is very delicate work, done almost completely by touch, I have done this a number of times, always successfully.

If this does not work the VC may be bent beyond repair this way but you could separate the cone/VC/spider, etc from the basket and see if you can reshape the VC directly.

These methods can lead to a useless speaker but it already is so nothing to lose, go for it

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Now I need some help... speaker VC damage.

Quick Reply: Now I need some help... speaker VC damage.