Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 CarPC install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:00 PM
kasper-pA-
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '14, '15

Default C5 CarPC install

Alright, this is where I will be updating and posting pics etc of my install... or attempt at an install

I've built the PC and shoved it all in to the case. Will post a pic of it tonight.

Specs for the carpc:
ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe
4GB RAM (DDR3)
64GB SSD Crucial C300
M2ATX PSU
Voom-PC2 enclosure

I have a few questions on the wiring if anyone could shed some light for me.... I'm in over my head as far as audio wiring and config is concerned, PC's no problems.... audio... well... ugh...

I will be upgrading my "Big 3" this week. I'm solid on that. From that to the AMP/PC I am a little confused. I'll run through what I think I need to do, and hopefully someone can correct me or make suggestions:

Run a 4AWG cable (with inline fuse close to battery) from positive terminal through firewall to a distro block (maybe mounted under passenger footwell?)

Ground a distro block to ground in passenger footwell area?

Run 8AWG wire from POS distro block to AMP and another to the CARPC PSU. (do i need inline fuses here on both?)

Run 8AWG GROUND from distro block to AMP and another to CARPC PSU

Ok, so I am very confused as to whether to run a cable to the fuse (22 or 23?) under passenger footwell, or into ignition (brown wire? I think I read)

Can I run a optical(toslink) from the PC to an amp or better off running the RCA's to the AMP?

Will be running a USB cable into the glove box for a 4port USB hub, also a apple usb cable to either in the console or somehow integrated with the bezel being made...

Dennis @ Double D Mods will be creating my bezel (going with Light Oak Half Wrap for a 7" touch screen)

Will also be getting his advice on speaker replacements and AMP, and whether or not a sub will be needed?

debating where to mount amp and carpc, either both (if they fit) on the back wall of the coupe, or amp behind passenger, carpc on back wall, or make a box behind the seats in the cargo area to house both, but protect both....

ok thats it for now, will have a pic of the carpc on tonight, and will start taking out the interior to start the sound dampening this weekend....
Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Most C5 have a 3 wire pigtail in the upper left corner of passenger footwell area. Yellow wire is switched with ignition. Click HERE for schematic of those wires.

If you want to retain R.A.P. feature (on until door opens), get a GMRAP gizmo.

For power wire fuses, install smallest fuse you can get that's larger than expected draw of equipment it supplies, and install it as close to the source of power as possible. On big 4g wire fuse will be at battery, for smaller 8g wires put fuse as close to distro block as you can. have you considered just running two 8g wires to the battery?

Optical link is overkill unless you have super high end amp/speakers and completely uncompressed music on the PC. Unless you're doing a complete 5.1 surround setup I'd stick with RCA's.

Center tub in C5 is PERFECT for a sub, and back wall is very popular for mounting amps.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

what size amp(s) or model amp(s) are you planning
Old 03-23-2011, 01:31 PM
kasper-pA-
Burning Brakes

Default Pics of the CarPC case

the case is roughly 8" x 12"
the MB has bluetooth and WIFI built in which is a plus. 2 external USB 3.0 and four external USB 2.0 ports.

Last edited by kasper-pA-; 03-23-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: MB rear ports
Old 03-23-2011, 01:33 PM
kasper-pA-
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
what size amp(s) or model amp(s) are you planning
I talked to Dennis @ Double D Mods this morning and he is suggesting a kenwood 5 channel amp (don't have the model in front of me now), it's small and has lots of power. He also suggested a pair of Polk SB651's for the rear and a pair of Vibe Space 6's for the front. A sub to be added in later. All with 4 AWG wire.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:01 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

what size fuse or power does the pc draw
Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 PM
kasper-pA-
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
what size fuse or power does the pc draw
It idles between 28 - 34w. Watched a 1080p movie and saw it hit 47w for a second
Old 10-26-2017, 01:57 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey do you still run this setup?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 CarPC install

Quick Reply: C5 CarPC install