Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

audio upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:21 PM
xSpeedracerXx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio upgrade questions

ok, i know there are other threads about some of this, as I've been reading up on this..... but i can't find those threads again, so please bear with me.

I want to upgrade my factory Blose nav system with a modest system. I will start with a new double DIN HU...probably something from Alpine or Kenwood Exelon.. mainly for better sound quality, complete iPod/Pandora interface/control and Bluetooth. don't really care about nav that much.

next will be speakers (and here's where the questions start). I have read a couple threads of some who have put JL 8s and even MBQuart shallow 10s in the doors, but can't find them again to see how they ended up sounding. I'm not against going with good components, but as I autox and HPDE my car regularly, not having a sub/amps in the hatch would be a big benefit. unless they were very easily removable-but even then, doing this almost every weekend would get old. so, I'm looking for decent bass without having to add a sub box/ rear mounted amp.

which brings me to the amp question- other than the Arc Audio, are there any good amps that will fit in the factory Blose compartment in the foot well? I have zero experience with this brand, and will not buy anything without hearing it first or knowing someone who has them. I know, I know, just how I am

comments? ideas? rude statements?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

are is a great amp you have nothing to fear. what i woudl do is the arc 4 channel with components in the doors and a sub in back. just lift the sub box out for the track
Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Quart 8's in the doors, and while theyre good for mid bass, the system really needs the 10" sub to fill out the bottom end. Without doing a lot of work on the doors, getting good bass out of door mounted speakers would be tough.

Haven't used the Arc minis, but it's hard to not believe the great rep they have.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

+1 for removing the sub box for the track

I do some eventing also and wanted to save weight. Put the stealth box in the back with a sub and just pop it out on event days. I did this for years with my firebird, takes less than 1 min to remove/install. Then use the Arc or Kenwood 5S amp mounted in the rear. If you put some nice 6" components in the door the weight will almost be a wash if you pull the sub box.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by xSpeedracerXx
and even MBQuart shallow 10s in the doors, but can't find them again to see how they ended up sounding.

which brings me to the amp question- other than the Arc Audio, are there any good amps that will fit in the factory Blose compartment in the foot well? I have zero experience with this brand, and will not buy anything without hearing it first or knowing someone who has them. I know, I know, just how I am

comments? ideas? rude statements?
I'm the one who "tried" MB Quart shallow 10s in the doors

I wouldn’t recommend it for reasons I posted in the novel of a thread I started today called “subwoofer adventures (c6 convertible)".

However, I’ve been very impressed with the Arc Audio 125.4 mini amp, the sound quality is good and it's powerful despite what its size may suggest.

Last edited by v8rx7com; 03-05-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the Arc Mini amps, I built my system with them and then decided I had to make them available to everyone that wanted to have the best small amp on the planet. Now I have full Arc Audio based systems, subs, speakers, processors, amps and my own line of high grade, low weight, install materials, sub enclosures, deadening products to do what these cars need and deserve and for great systems prices. Fully warrantied of course as I am licensed by Arc for Vette systems.

Examples: Posting a new thread in a few minutes, been a busy day, sold another system and shipped a ton, really, of deadening products today

Rick
801-829-4997
Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 AM
xSpeedracerXx
Intermediate

thanks guys! I'm going to do more research on the Arc minis. read one post where there were 2 amps used in an over/under configuration with no issues as of last posting. and just looked at the Vettenuts sub box as well. definitely opens up more options.

one more question-where is everyone getting the adapter plates for the door speakers? haven't found anyone selling them outright yet.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I offer complete Vette audio packages, Alumalite speaker baffles (4.5 oz, wrapped in Ensolite) , filler plates for the huge access holes in the doors, 11 oz, channels to stiffen the doors, tweeter mounts, less than an oz, amp mounts for the KS mini amps, full systems using any Arc Audio gear you want to run, fully warranties, great prices, give me a call if you wish

Many Vettes are out there with two KS Mini amps in the stock C6 location.

Thanks
Rick
801-829-4997
Old 03-06-2012, 02:29 PM
xSpeedracerXx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by v8rx7com
I'm the one who "tried" MB Quart shallow 10s in the doors

I wouldn’t recommend it for reasons I posted in the novel of a thread I started today called “subwoofer adventures (c6 convertible)".

However, I’ve been very impressed with the Arc Audio 125.4 mini amp, the sound quality is good and it's powerful despite what its size may suggest.
you said they sounded good at 'modest' levels, but not higher ones, did you mean good at in-town driving but not at highway, top down speeds? just curious.

what all are you running now? nice sub box btw!

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
I offer complete Vette audio packages, Alumalite speaker baffles (4.5 oz, wrapped in Ensolite) , filler plates for the huge access holes in the doors, 11 oz, channels to stiffen the doors, tweeter mounts, less than an oz, amp mounts for the KS mini amps, full systems using any Arc Audio gear you want to run, fully warranties, great prices, give me a call if you wish

Many Vettes are out there with two KS Mini amps in the stock C6 location.

Thanks
Rick
801-829-4997
do you have a website?

thanks again for all the input!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I have never had the time to put the Vette systems on my site, I think about it sometimes but my core business keeps me working long hours everyday, the audio stuff is for my fun time helping others get great systems for great prices, ones that fit the Supercars we own

I tried the subless system at first, Morel 9's, not enough bass, far to many resonance issues even after massively modifying the doors, not worth it.

I also have the lightest weight C6 sub enclosure on the market, full fiberglass, hand laid, with the Arc 10 sub list is $599, intro sale for $449 shipped in cont US! I need to post a thread on it sometime

Rick
Old 03-06-2012, 04:12 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
I tried the subless system at first, to many resonance issues even after massively modifying the doors, not worth it.

What he is saying in laymen terms …. things inside of the doors and door panels will buzz and make all kind of weird noises as volume increases. This was also my experience, and I also agree its not worth the work for what results you get.

Especially with the “drop in” subwoofer enclosures that are available for the hard top C6 ..... I’m not as impressed with the “drop in” subwoofer enclosures available for the C6 convertible … but that is just my opinion based on what “I” wanted (avoid using the trunk)

you said they sounded good at 'modest' levels, but not higher ones, did you mean good at in-town driving but not at highway, top down speeds? just curious.
what all are you running now? nice sub box btw!
Thank you for you the compliment on the sub box

As far as my statement “they sounded good at modest levels” ....... I could turn it up slightly louder than the stock Bose setup … but not that much louder before experiencing resonance problems and the subs bottoming out (but I blaim the "bottoming out" problem on using a non-free-air sub).

Right now (until I change it) I’m using the same amp (2 channels of the mini Arc Audio at a mono 4 ohm load) with the same subwoofers (MB quart) in the new box I built ….and its a night and day difference

The easiest way to describe the point I’m trying to make is:

I’ve heard crappy speakers sound good in a well built enclosure (box), but I’ve never heard good speakers sound good in a crappy enclosure.

In my door sub experiment, I put mediocre speakers (new era MB Quarts) in a really crappy enclosure (the doors) and I wasn’t really surprised in the results.

Last edited by v8rx7com; 03-06-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

I do have a question for Rick (RAAMaudio)

Have you tried your Arc 10 subs in an enclosure in around .5 cubic foot?

“Or” have any suggestions for a good 4 ohm 10 that will work in a .5 sealed enclosure … I want to add a mini 500.1 Arc amp … but it looks like the 500.1 runs best at a mono 2 ohm load?

The subs I currently have are 4 ohm DVC and I would want to upgraded them anyway if I was to run a Arc 500.1

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

thanks guys! I'm going to do more research on the Arc minis. read one post where there were 2 amps used in an over/under configuration with no issues as of last posting. and just looked at the Vettenuts sub box as well. definitely opens up more options.

one more question-where is everyone getting the adapter plates for the door speakers? haven't found anyone selling them outright yet.
My install post in FAQ above <CLICK HERE> used Arc XDi804 & 805 amps, and they fit with some nudging as I posted, but there are the other Arcs that fit as drop-in (from Kedar's most excellent post <CLICK HERE>) where he used brackets from RAAM
Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I have installed the Arc 10 in .60 enclosures in the past and they did quite well. A .50 is a bit small but the general issue is a lit less low end extension, most music does not go that low anyway, higher power handling as well.

I usually have both the D2 and D4 subs in stock and 500.1 amps always in stock unless like now just sold the last one but more should be here tomorrow.

The XDi amps are tempting for watt per dollar and are the latest and greatest of the chip amps but they just do not quite sound as good as an AB or as in the KS Mini amp, Class H (AB amp with an analog switching power supply) I have tried many D class amps and always stick with AB or H but I keep hoping one day Class D will do it for me.

BUT, I play only really high quality recordings where amp choice is more critical, I am starting to download audiophile tracks so I can just pick the music I want, not the whole album, etc but it is pretty expensive(though much cheaper than some of the actual disks, I have one that cost me $100 but it is the absolute best test disk I have ever heard, I use it all the time for demo use, blows peoples minds

If you mostly play average recordings from an Iphone, etc, not quite so important, I offer the D class amps, just do not stock them and only sold a few ever as I love those little KS Mini amps, they are incredible for their size

I am here to answer your questions whenever you want to call me.

Thanks
Rick
801-829-4997

Get notified of new replies

To audio upgrade questions

Quick Reply: audio upgrade questions