Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Double Din Install w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 PM
cheemsaf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Double Din Install w/Pics

Not done yet...but I will continue to document my progress via pics. Currently everything is removed and just waiting for the parts from Dennis's DoubleDin company out in WI. Can't wait! I currently have a stock radio system that's now over a decade old (1999 ) and am now putting in the following equipment:

Pioneer Z130
Elemental Design e5.10 sub in a pre-made sealed box
Kenwood XR5S Amp
Vibe Space 6s in the front
Polk db621s in the back
& the miles of wiring to go along with it

Wish me luck...

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Here's wishing you luck with your install. Hopefully it will work great the first time you turn it on.

I have to tackle all of that myself for my 2010 coupe sometime this fall when the weather gets cooler.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by cheemsaf
Currently everything is removed and just waiting for the parts....
Have you considered installing soundproofing in the car? Rick at RAAMaudio has a great deal for considerably under $200 shipped that will make the car soooo much quieter on the inside. PM him about his 1 box & 3 yards package

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I have to tackle all of that myself for my 2010 coupe sometime this fall when the weather gets cooler.
It's about time
Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 PM
cheemsaf
Instructor

Thanks, I've now placed all the wiring where it needs to go and am figuring out how to mount the Vibe Space 6s in the front.

They have 4 pieces...the woofer, mid, tweeter, and a crossover. I'm unsure where to mount the tweeter and crossover right now, and am doing some research on it. Anyone have suggestions??

I just got the Z130 to turn on with the amp for the first time on attempt number 2. Thanks Dennis for the help!!

I'll send out more pics once I get closer to finishing. It's turning into a marathon now with the install, couple of hours a night of figuring it out.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:52 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Thanks, I've now placed all the wiring where it needs to go and am figuring out how to mount the Vibe Space 6s in the front.

They have 4 pieces...the woofer, mid, tweeter, and a crossover. I'm unsure where to mount the tweeter and crossover right now, and am doing some research on it. Anyone have suggestions??

I just got the Z130 to turn on with the amp for the first time on attempt number 2. Thanks Dennis for the help!!

I'll send out more pics once I get closer to finishing. It's turning into a marathon now with the install, couple of hours a night of figuring it out.
Space 6 in my car
crossovers are up under dash
Old 06-18-2011, 12:29 PM
cheemsaf
Instructor

Dennis, that looks very similar. I was planning on putting the crossovers in the door; I've already carved out a section in the styrofoam where they'll go; but I think under the dash looks like a cleaner install. I'll take a look. Where did you put your tweeters?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:31 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Dennis, that looks very similar. I was planning on putting the crossovers in the door; I've already carved out a section in the styrofoam where they'll go; but I think under the dash looks like a cleaner install. I'll take a look. Where did you put your tweeters?

the mid is below the tweeters
they are stackable

so you can mount the tweeters on top of the mids
Old 06-20-2011, 07:01 PM
cheemsaf
Instructor

Well, I now have the 4 speakers working, the Z130 working, and the amp working. I just used the bose covers over the Vibes and Polks, which by the way sound tremendously better than those excuse of speakers that GM put in there. I should be receiving the sub and box tomorrow in the mail. Then it's just a matter of cleaning up the mess in the pictures below and fitting the Z130 into the middle frame. Any suggestions on removing the metal frame without removing the entire dash? I've attempted to pull it out, but it's not budging beyond about 4-5 inches of movement.

Mess of wires

More mess, but it works.

The amp, all alone...waiting for the sub & box to properly mount the amp. Some of those wires are left over from my N2O days. I think I'll leave the N2O lines/wires there in case I get the itch again.

I put the crossover in the styrofoam of the door. I think I'm going to remove it and place it under the dash. It's a very tight fit when placing the door facia back on.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:34 PM
cheemsaf
Instructor

And here is where I put the GPS antenna. It picked up the signal and relocated my nav system to my house in a few seconds while the hood was closed and inside the garage (garage door open) about 6 feet from the door.

This is a picture of where the battery normally sits. I ran the GPS antenna wire back through the firewall grommet with the other upteenbillion other N20 wires. You'll also notice I had to cut into the positive terminal rubber part to get the fastener for the amp to stay on the terminal. (Seriously Chevy, why do you have to make things so complicated??) Also, you'll notice I ran my amp positive/power wire to the driver side of the car (as the RCA cables run along the passenger side). The huge 4 gauge power cable goes through a hole I drilled on the driver side just below the hood release. I already drilled this hole for the Autometer gauges on the A-pillar I installed.

I put the phone mic here (below). I figured if you're going to be talking on the phone with the top off, you're probably going to be not "hands-free" anywhere you place the mic. It looks obvious in this picture, but you don't even notice it, unless you're looking for it with the black interior.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:34 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Old 06-21-2011, 03:42 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Fyi

I put my mic right above my right knee it just sits in the joint between the tunnel and center console, is not noticeable at all and works with the top off.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 PM
cheemsaf
Instructor

Originally Posted by okie08vette
I put my mic right above my right knee it just sits in the joint between the tunnel and center console, is not noticeable at all and works with the top off.
Thanks, I'll take a look at placing it there. I received the sub and box yesterday mounted it and am cleaning up the trunk area now.

WOW!!! Talk about some throw on that woofer. It was shaking my garage and got the neighbor's attention from across the street. But that was a good thing; he's into car audio as well. I'm going to have to tune the system here shortly so I still have some hearing left.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:55 PM
1quick1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. I'll be following as I'll be doing a double din here in the future and will need to run the mic and GPS antenna as well. Everything else looks like a piece of cake.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
No issues on the other end with callers? I am still debating where to put mine and I always have my top off.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:09 PM
1quick1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hows the install going? I'm just starting to tackle mine.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

I had to cut the side tabs to fit my DD since the bezel has these 2 long tabs that stick out and needed to go into the holes where the brackets where. Did you have to do the same? I may put one in teh back but it seems pretty sturdy now.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

No but I know other have said they just flip it over. Just a little more measuring that's what I'm going to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Double Din Install w/Pics

Old 07-13-2011, 06:25 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

i have installed a number of dbl dins in different cars and have never put a rear support in and have never had anyone come back with an issue
Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 PM
20vette0107fatboy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

This is my next mod. The pioneer Z130. Hopefully I can do it. Im not doing speakers just the double din....
Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 20vette0107fatboy
This is my next mod. The pioneer Z130. Hopefully I can do it. Im not doing speakers just the double din....

you will be fine

you have me ont he other end of the phone to help out

Quick Reply: Double Din Install w/Pics