Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Kenwood HU- Hiss at low volume

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:53 AM
BlueC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Kenwood HU- Hiss at low volume

Advice, please.

I just finished installing a new Kenwood DNX9960 Head unit, and new Boston Acoustics 2-way 3.5" front speakers into my 2007 coupe (non-Bose). There was always a slight hiss with the old factory unit. It was especially noticeable in ACC mode with the volume very low.

Now that the new Kenwood HU is installed the hiss is louder. It is coming from all of the speakers and doesn't need to have any music playing to get the hiss. However, when I put it in standby mode, the hiss goes away.

I have read a lot about people putting a ground loop isolator into the system or grounding the HU directly to the battery, does this seem like it will fix it? Does the ground loop isolator fix the alternator interference if it is in ACC mode?

I was also thinking that the factory Delphi amp might be bad (or not grounded well) because it doesn't create a hiss until the power control wire from the HU was hooked up. Of course there was no sound prior to it being connected, but this makes me think that it is a problem with the amp.

I also clipped the RCA connectors from the GMCO module and spliced the speaker wires (per PAC's instruction). After doing that, I read on the CF that it is best to use the RCA connections, oh well. I don't think this is causing the hiss because it wouldn't be consistent in all of the speakers.

Thanks for your help, this is driving me nuts!

Last edited by BlueC6; 08-02-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:17 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

solder rca plugs back in and get ground loop isolators it will be silent

Quick Reply: New Kenwood HU- Hiss at low volume