Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AVIC D3 Bad Radio Reception

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
IDM
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AVIC D3 Bad Radio Reception

Hi guys I think I remember reading to run the main harness ground to the chassis instead of to the factory wiring? Is there anything else that can be done? My reception is terrible to the point of songs sounding terrible with a system.

Thank you.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

If you're not using the oem amp you can reconnect the D3 trigger wire to the oem amp trigger to energize the antenna booster. If you're already doing that, and it still sucks, many have reported success with an aftermarket amplified antenna
Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 PM
IDM
Le Mans Master

Hi Mark you remember me.

I have an aftermarket amp. Does grounding to frame help at all??

Can you please be really specific on this like color wires I will need to connect together?
D3 trigger wire to the oem amp trigger
Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by IDM
Hi Mark you remember me.
I usually remember the names and avatars, but putting a system (99.9% of which I've never actually seen in person) with the name without something to jog my memory is getting pretty hard to do

Connect the solid blue wire from the D3 to the dark green wire at pin 8 of the main big black plug. Assuming you have a coupe, that will power up the oem antenna booster whenever you select a radio channel. You'll also need to verify the settings on the D3 so that it's turning on the juice for a power antenna.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 PM
IDM
Le Mans Master

Thanks for your help, I pulled out the headunit and found the solid blue wire on the avic d3 to be hooked up to a green wire. There were 3 green wires on the plug though, this one was between an orange and pink wire with an empty space/pin in between each wire. Is this right?

I then went into settings and found that antenna was on radio vs power and I switched that to power. Would you think that switching this setting should make the difference?

The reception seems to get bad as I put my hand around the radio or move around in the car as well as driving in parking garages.

I read about grounding better, is that something I can do to try to fix this too?

THanks a million!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:08 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

C5 prints are here, look at the plug pinout for C1, you want the wire for amp/antenna. Looks like you have the right one.

The radio settings of radio vs power shouldn't matter in this case, you only need it powered when listening to the radio, but having it on all the time won't hurt.

Good results have been reported with one of these. I actually have one, but haven't installed it yet (I almost never listen to local radio).
Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 PM
IDM
Le Mans Master

Thanks so I'll put this in line and connect to the same blue wire?

I really appreciate the help, have ordered it. The reception is really terrible, it's hard to believe that they would sell a headunit this expensive that cant pick up local stations right
Old 09-18-2011, 12:21 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Yes, use the same blue wire to power it.

It's not the radio's fault, plastic cars don't make for good antennas

Get notified of new replies

To AVIC D3 Bad Radio Reception

Quick Reply: AVIC D3 Bad Radio Reception