Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Distortion with OS-2C-BOSE

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Orange06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distortion with OS-2C-BOSE

I received my Pioneer 8400BH and OS-2C-BOSE from Double D Mods yesterday and decided to install the head unit with the factory Bose system to tide me over until I can get to the whole system upgrade. The head unit works and the Bose amp turns on to power the speakers, but if I go over 25% on the volume, the sound gets really distorted.

I connected the speaker outputs of the head unit to the speaker inputs of the OS-2C-BOSE as indicated by the instructions. I didn't see any mention of using a low-level signal, and there were no RCA connectors to get the preamp signal from the HU. The only volume control I see on the OS-2C-BOSE is the Onstar volume adjustment.

Did I wire something wrong?

Also, can I simply ground the green wire from the head unit instead of connecting it to the parking brake, or is there a more involved procedure required to bypass the brake detection?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Orange06
Advanced

I took the car to run an errand last night after posting, and the distortion went away. This setup has been really strange.

When I first plugged everything in, the head unit would not power up. I grabbed my old stereo and harness and plugged it in and it fired right up. Tried the new one again, nothing. Went inside to get the manual to see if I had to reset it or something, then came out and plugged it in again and it came on.

But there was no sound. The current version of the OS-2C-BOSE supposedly fixed the issue of not sending enough trigger power to turn on the Bose amp, but I had no music. I connected a speaker directly to the output of the HU and got sound, but nothing through the car. So, I went out and bought a relay to do the trigger signal fix, and when I came back I had sound without changing anything.

But I had the distortion. It was dinner time by then, so I put everything back together. Later I took the car out and the distortion was gone, but the power top wouldn't go up. I thought I had blown a fuse. I got home and tried the top one last time, and it went right up.

Very odd.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

low battery from messing around with stereo and dome lights being on will cause all sorts of issues
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Rickmd
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Low battery could be the problem. However, if I disconnect the battery with the top down, I must recycle the windows down and up ( or up and down), to get the top to respond. A low battery could cause the top to lose the position of the windows and thus refuse to operate until the windows have been re-indexed.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Orange06
Advanced

Ah, that makes sense. I did put the windows up on the way home, then put the top up when I got home.

Get notified of new replies

To Distortion with OS-2C-BOSE

Quick Reply: Distortion with OS-2C-BOSE