Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Kenwood DNX6990HD

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 PM
BobMercer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kenwood DNX6990HD

I have the Kenwood system installed in a '12 1LT Coupe and have been reasonably pleased with the reception and performance of the system, with two exceptions. The first annoyance is that the sound level goes down for no apparent reason. I usually have the system in Navi mode and the volume indicator pops up showing a lower volume, and will continue to do this until I raise the volume back to its original setting. It never increases the volume, only decreases.

The other annoyance is that the Navi screen changes from 3D "heading up," to 2D for no apparent reason. I must then touch the return arrow to return to the 3D view.

I'm guessing that the two problems are somehow related, but don't have a clue what's causing the malfunction.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bob
Old 08-01-2012, 04:37 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

If you don't get a good answer here try asking/searching at http://www.kenwoodforums.com/

Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
BobMercer
Advanced

Default Kenwood

markcz,

Thank you for the link to the Kenwood Forum. I've read most of the posts that relate to the DNX6990HD, but so far I have been unable to find a similar problem. Perhaps it's unique to my installation and not a common occurence. Could be a loose connection or just a bad unit.

Another observation that I made last evening is the GPS image wiggles a bit while the vehicle is motionless. Never noticed that on any other Garmin.

Bob
Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 PM
rossz06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Something to try

I don't have a direct answer for you but it sounds to me like a bad connection. Could be a bad ground or a pushed pin on a connector. I would check all of your connectors for a pushed pin or a connector that is not properly mated. I know this is not easy but that what your symptoms sound like to me. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:48 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

do you have steering wheel controls and are they hooked up to kenwood. if so a simple reprogram may take care of your volume issue
Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 AM
BobMercer
Advanced

Default Kenwood

Thank you both for your suggestions.

pentavolvo, you have hit on the likely source of the problem. I do have the steering wheel controls with an adapter to connect to the Kenwood. The solution appears to be to simply adjust the volume with the steering wheel controls, and the "volume lowering" malfunction seems to stop. I will keep an eye on the problem to confirm the solution that I observed toward the end of a ride on Saturday. If that does not stop the problem, what is the source of the reprogramming for the adapter?

The problem with the GPS screen changing was apparently caused by my touching the screen while increasing the volume with the dial.

Bob
Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by BobMercer
what is the source of the reprogramming for the adapter?
You'd need to take apart the dash, get the model number of the SWI, find the instructions online, then push a few buttons.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 PM
BobMercer
Advanced

Default Kenwood

markcz,

Thank you for the info.

Bob
Old 08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
BobMercer
Advanced

Default Kenwood

Well I thought I had discovered a simple solution to my volume problem by merely using the steering wheel volume control to change the volume. Sadly, I found on a ride today that the volume lowering problem is still ocurring at very random intervals.
Sometimes I will go for 5 miles or more and no volume change, then I will get 5 or 6 changes in 2 miles. No rhyme or reason to the volume lowering. I'm really getting a bit sick for having spent over $1K for a problematic system.
Apparently the steering wheel control interface is causing this random event and requires removing the Kenwood to get to the module to reprogram it?
I had considered having a HUD install, but will not do it until I can get this problem solved, if that is possible.
Really disappointed with aftermarket performance of the Kenwood.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 PM
BobMercer
Advanced

Default Kenwood

The problem of the mysterous volume change has been resolved. The steering wheel interface from Metra Axxess was the apparent source of the random volume decreases. It has now been replaced by a unit from Pac Audio which is performing flawlessly.

Nice not having to repeatedly increase the volume to counteract the glitch.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood DNX6990HD

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX6990HD