Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 PM
hugetime1
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator question

I have a 2008 Z06 and just bought a 300 amp alternator. Has any one else done this. did you have to change the stock charging cable? is it a big job?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

You don't have to, it should be OK as is, but it would be a good idea to do 2 of the "big 3". Run new wires (in addition to OEM) from alt + to battery + and from engine block to frame. Use wire that's at least 4 gauge and its a very good idea to put a fuse on the + wire, I put a 250 amp fuse on my 2 gauge wires. IIRC the bolt holes in the block are 8mm threads (front right corner near Tstat has a few that are easy to access).
Old 09-07-2012, 01:08 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Something else just FYI, my 270a alt holds the voltage at a constant 14.8v regardless of rpm. All of the OEM equipment can handle it just fine, but aftermarket LED bulbs tend to burn out pretty quick. I had to put resistors in the turn signal wires to keep my switchback bulbs from blowing in under a week

Get notified of new replies

To alternator question

Quick Reply: alternator question