Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 amp install...rear vertical wall help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 AM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 amp install...rear vertical wall help

Does anybody have write up or pics on how to install an amp to the rear vertical wall
Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Pretty much just hold the amp up in the location you want it to be, insert sheet metal screw into mounting hole, then righty tighty.

There really isn't anything behind the carpet wall to worry about hitting unless you use a 3" long screw. If you have any worries about the amp coming loose you can put a piece of hardwood behind the carpet at each screw to make sure it stays put (1"x1" square pieces will be fine), but that would be much easier to do if you remove the carpet. It's been a while for me in a C5, but IIRC it's just as easy as C6, a few push in friction pins and a few screws where the cargo net attaches, then unplug the lights as carpet comes out.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

thanks. the wall looks pretty weak so i was under the assumption that people were adding mdf behind it

Originally Posted by markcz
Pretty much just hold the amp up in the location you want it to be, insert sheet metal screw into mounting hole, then righty tighty.

There really isn't anything behind the carpet wall to worry about hitting unless you use a 3" long screw. If you have any worries about the amp coming loose you can put a piece of hardwood behind the carpet at each screw to make sure it stays put (1"x1" square pieces will be fine), but that would be much easier to do if you remove the carpet. It's been a while for me in a C5, but IIRC it's just as easy as C6, a few push in friction pins and a few screws where the cargo net attaches, then unplug the lights as carpet comes out.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

just to be clear, you're talking about the rear wall at the rear of the car, yes? If you're mounting it on the wall behind the seats, be sure to use MDF.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I did my install on my C5, I took out the carpeted piece and then made a MDF backer board that replaced it. I covered it with black carpet and used 1/4 - 20 bolts and fender washers to secure it to the back wall. I used a router to make 'channels' in the back of the board for the power and RCA wires, then kicked them out the side along the bottom and behind the side carpeted piece. At first glance, you couldn't tell that it wasn't a stock piece.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

Awesome. How did you secure the new back wall?

Originally Posted by Fasthotrod
When I did my install on my C5, I took out the carpeted piece and then made a MDF backer board that replaced it. I covered it with black carpet and used 1/4 - 20 bolts and fender washers to secure it to the back wall. I used a router to make 'channels' in the back of the board for the power and RCA wires, then kicked them out the side along the bottom and behind the side carpeted piece. At first glance, you couldn't tell that it wasn't a stock piece.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

I did what Fast did above, with a glued in piece of MDF behind the carpet and screws through the carpet for the amp. I mounted a really small amp for my tweets back there .. PS5 from Linear Power

G'luck
Fej
Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey_7106
thanks. the wall looks pretty weak so i was under the assumption that people were adding mdf behind it
You can, the only down side is that it causes the rear panel (carpeted part) not to sit properly. Your best bet IMO would be to use bolts instead of screws and go completely through the fiberglass. Then put a washer and nylon locking nut on the other side (removal of the reverse light plate here helps a lot)
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey_7106
Awesome. How did you secure the new back wall?
Ughhh... 1/4 -20 bolts and fender washers?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 amp install...rear vertical wall help

Quick Reply: C5 amp install...rear vertical wall help