Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 Stereo Upgrade In the Works

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 04:43 AM
NastyC5
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: C5 Stereo Upgrade In the Works (FUN4JT)

JT
I will be over on Saturday my flamed brother :cool:
Old 06-15-2002, 05:07 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Whew, a can of worms? Rule of thumb re: stereo's, cars and women, we all have different opinions and taste, go with what please's you....

Well said JT.

FUN4JT I'll be over some time tommorow I will call Perry and see when the best time is. Can't wait to see them flames. The flame brothers will have there first meeting :cool:

Nrage I think you where a little harsh on NewVetteLover. Everyone does have a opinion of how powerful a amp need to be power a sub. Personal IMO I agree with him that 50x4 is a little week for a complete stereo but if you like it thats great. At sound off that's why have different divisions based on total number of watts. I have heard some great stereos that have only about 200w total for the whole system. Me personally I like to have more power and flexibity for crossing over speakers.

NewVetteLover I am with you. Any post is really a IMO it is the internet and this is a forum. I am sure Nrage thinks he has one of the top systems that he can get for the money. Ie. "Nrage- This system was designed, installed, and analized by award winning audio professionals..." Basicly all that tells me is that he spent way to much for his equipment and install. I am sure his system sounds nice but when you can think for your self and design your system your self generally your results are better. A amp and 4 speakers is a basic system I doubt there was that a ton of thought laid out in that system from the award winning professionals.

Everone else. I have played around with the sound staging in a C5 "IMO :rolleyes:" the best set up is to have 6 1/2 mid woofer with no tweeters in the rear that way it keeps your sound stage up front where it should be and use the 6 1/2 inch rear for ambience just as FUN4JT said

My last system in my C5 was a

Kenwood Z828 head unit
2 Ken Kac729 amps "100x2" 1 bridged mono for the rear sub 1 stereo for the front subs
1 Eclipise 4 channal amp "40x4" for the front mid range tweets and rear speaker
1 Sony electronic crossover just used for the rear sub.
2 8 inch MB quartz Subs in the front doors cross over at 140
2 4 in Mb quart q mid range speakers in the front doors crossed over at 160 and above
2 Mb Referance tweeters in the front doors
2 Mb referance tweeters in the front vents on the pilars
2 Mb quartz 6 1/2 mid/woofers in the stock rear locations Cross over at 1
60 and above
1 Kick Comp Vr 12 inch sub in the rear center storage compartment Crossed over a 80hz and below

This system was by far one of the best systems I have had in my C5's "I have had 3 C5's with a system in each". I know Kenwood amps are not the top of the line and this time I will have a Mcintosh amp to work with instead. Crossing over each speaker is a imporant part of maximizing power and clairity IMO.

My current system that came with the car sucks IMO. I will be changing it as soon I can. The guy that owned the car before me invested some big $$ "From some award winning audio professionals to get a medicore sound" although it blows away the stock BOSE system

Alpine Headunit 7963 and changer
Mb quart Q 6 1/2 components in the doors
Mb quart Q 6 1/2 components in the rear speaker locations
2 10 inch MTX subs in the center storage area in the rear
1 Mcintosh 6 channel 50x6 amp. :cool:

I will be keeping the Mb quartz and the Mcintosh amp everything else is going

[Modified by Wicked C5, 9:53 AM 6/15/2002]
Old 06-15-2002, 08:43 AM
NastyC5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: C5 Stereo Upgrade In the Works (NewVetteLover)

I would suggest, if you havent already bought the stuff ... dont do the rears ... most say they are useless ...
:confused: You can here my MBQuart rears loud and clear.
As far as amps I chose Xtant :cool:
Subs: two 10W3's in a custom ported box :eek:
:cheers:
Old 06-15-2002, 01:51 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: C5 Stereo Upgrade In the Works (Wicked C5)

Everone else. I have played around with the sound staging in a C5 "IMO " the best set up is to have 6 1/2 mid woofer with no tweeters in the rear that way it keeps your sound stage up front where it should be and use the 6 1/2 inch rear for ambience just as FUN4JT said
:yesnod: Those flames look sooooo good. We need pics!

[Modified by JoeyG, 11:52 AM 6/15/2002]
Old 06-15-2002, 02:37 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C5 Stereo Upgrade In the Works (NastyC5)

I would suggest, if you havent already bought the stuff ... dont do the rears ... most say they are useless ...

:confused: You can here my MBQuart rears loud and clear.
As far as amps I chose Xtant :cool:
Subs: two 10W3's in a custom ported box :eek:
I have *heard* that for pure sound quality ... the rears should not be installed ... I have listened to systems w/ or w/o rears in different C5's and the difference was very very small .... in the end to me it came down to saving the $200 on the speakers ....

Putting the rears in is a great idea when installed correctly ... but I have heard 1 system (I friend of mine) who installed a big (5K) system in his car ... and he screwed it up by putting rears that are just as powerful as the fronts ... so you do actually tell a major difference ...
Old 06-15-2002, 04:34 PM
michfull
Advanced

All these systems sound great! Can you guys post pictures of your subwoofer installs? I'm interested in the 2 10" and the 1 12" installs. How do these sound compared to the 10" JL stealth box?
thanks!
Mike
Old 06-15-2002, 10:49 PM
AP
Team Owner

Default Re: C5 Stereo Upgrade In the Works (michfull)

All these systems sound great! Can you guys post pictures of your subwoofer installs? I'm interested in the 2 10" and the 1 12" installs. How do these sound compared to the 10" JL stealth box?
thanks!
Mike

Pics are required if you post on this board :lol: ... just wait ..
Old 06-15-2002, 11:56 PM
Lashtal
Le Mans Master

Whew, a can of worms? Rule of thumb re: stereo's, cars and women, we all have different opinions and taste, go with what please's you....

Well said JT.

FUN4JT I'll be over some time tommorow I will call Perry and see when the best time is. Can't wait to see them flames. The flame brothers will have there first meeting :cool:

Nrage I think you where a little harsh on NewVetteLover. Everyone does have a opinion of how powerful a amp need to be power a sub. Personal IMO I agree with him that 50x4 is a little week for a complete stereo but if you like it thats great. At sound off that's why have different divisions based on total number of watts. I have heard some great stereos that have only about 200w total for the whole system. Me personally I like to have more power and flexibity for crossing over speakers.

NewVetteLover I am with you. Any post is really a IMO it is the internet and this is a forum. I am sure Nrage thinks he has one of the top systems that he can get for the money. Ie. "Nrage- This system was designed, installed, and analized by award winning audio professionals..." Basicly all that tells me is that he spent way to much for his equipment and install. I am sure his system sounds nice but when you can think for your self and design your system your self generally your results are better. A amp and 4 speakers is a basic system I doubt there was that a ton of thought laid out in that system from the award winning professionals.

Everone else. I have played around with the sound staging in a C5 "IMO :rolleyes:" the best set up is to have 6 1/2 mid woofer with no tweeters in the rear that way it keeps your sound stage up front where it should be and use the 6 1/2 inch rear for ambience just as FUN4JT said

My last system in my C5 was a

Kenwood Z828 head unit
2 Ken Kac729 amps "100x2" 1 bridged mono for the rear sub 1 stereo for the front subs
1 Eclipise 4 channal amp "40x4" for the front mid range tweets and rear speaker
1 Sony electronic crossover just used for the rear sub.
2 8 inch MB quartz Subs in the front doors cross over at 140
2 4 in Mb quart q mid range speakers in the front doors crossed over at 160 and above
2 Mb Referance tweeters in the front doors
2 Mb referance tweeters in the front vents on the pilars
2 Mb quartz 6 1/2 mid/woofers in the stock rear locations Cross over at 1
60 and above
1 Kick Comp Vr 12 inch sub in the rear center storage compartment Crossed over a 80hz and below

This system was by far one of the best systems I have had in my C5's "I have had 3 C5's with a system in each". I know Kenwood amps are not the top of the line and this time I will have a Mcintosh amp to work with instead. Crossing over each speaker is a imporant part of maximizing power and clairity IMO.

My current system that came with the car sucks IMO. I will be changing it as soon I can. The guy that owned the car before me invested some big $$ "From some award winning audio professionals to get a medicore sound" although it blows away the stock BOSE system

Alpine Headunit 7963 and changer
Mb quart Q 6 1/2 components in the doors
Mb quart Q 6 1/2 components in the rear speaker locations
2 10 inch MTX subs in the center storage area in the rear
1 Mcintosh 6 channel 50x6 amp. :cool:

I will be keeping the Mb quartz and the Mcintosh amp everything else is going

[Modified by Wicked C5, 9:53 AM 6/15/2002]
Wicked C5: Who is our area (I'm just over the hill from you) can you recommend to install a full system in a Vette? I have most of the components but still need a Sub-box made...

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-16-2002, 12:07 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: C5 Stereo Upgrade In the Works (Lashtal)

Wicked C5: Who is our area (I'm just over the hill from you) can you recommend to install a full system in a Vette? I have most of the components but still need a Sub-box made...

Thanks in advance!

I honestly can't recommend anyone. I do most of my own work. NastyC5 does have someone that is real good but I forgot what the guys name is. He is in Hayward/Union city. The guy does great work but he is $$$. Nasty lives in the same city as you. I am sure he would be more then willing to show you his car so you get a sample of the work. He is the only one that I have seen that I am impressed with.

[Modified by Wicked C5, 8:09 PM 6/15/2002]
Old 06-16-2002, 12:12 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04

I installed my Kenwood Z828 deck that made a world of differance over the Alpine since it has built in cross overs. Pictures coming soon
Old 06-16-2002, 01:44 AM
AP
Team Owner

I installed my Kenwood Z828 deck that made a world of differance over the Alpine since it has built in cross overs. Pictures coming soon
Is Kenwood the best ? I thought that Alpine or Eclipse were?
Old 06-16-2002, 02:09 AM
NastyC5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: C5 Stereo Upgrade In the Works (Lashtal)

Lashtal check out Sound Innovations in Hayward. Ask for Ernie (the owner) tell him Perry sent you :cheers:

JT your system is going to be sweet :cool:
Old 06-16-2002, 05:27 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04

Is Kenwood the best ? I thought that Alpine or Eclipse were?
Alpine is excellent but the deck that was in there didn't have a crossover for the subs or a sub out.

The Kenwood deck was last years second to top of the line unit and comes with a built in X over and EQ + plays mp3's. I wouldv'e have bought the Alpine but the mp3 deck wasn't avalible at the time and the Kenwood deck got good reveiws.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:26 PM
AP
Team Owner

Alpine is excellent but the deck that was in there didn't have a crossover for the subs or a sub out.

The Kenwood deck was last years second to top of the line unit and comes with a built in X over and EQ + plays mp3's. I wouldv'e have bought the Alpine but the mp3 deck wasn't avalible at the time and the Kenwood deck got good reveiws.
Cool ... so it was about the lack of some features that the particular unit did not have ... not Alpine in general ...
Old 06-17-2002, 01:04 AM
AP
Team Owner

Hey JT ... got any new pics?
Old 06-18-2002, 01:51 AM
FUN4JT
Racer

95% percent complete, just need to add a little more Dynamat and finish the
amp enclosure (cover with carpet). System kicks, don't need the Soundstream! :eek:
Still need to fine tune the system, I'm amazed at the features of the 7892.
A few more pics to follow. :D
Fun4JT
Old 06-18-2002, 01:55 AM
FUN4JT
Racer

[IMG]'http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/fun4jt//p6170016s.jpg'[/IMG]
Positioned the front tweeters on the doors with the passenger side pointed towareds the driver. The driver side is angled more parallel to the dash. Good sound stage. :D
FUN4JT

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Stereo Upgrade In the Works

Old 06-18-2002, 01:58 AM
FUN4JT
Racer

[IMG]'http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/fun4jt//p6170012s.jpg'[/IMG]
Fairly straight forward install of the HU. Do like the motorized faceplate. :D
JT
Old 06-18-2002, 01:59 AM
FUN4JT
Racer

Old 06-18-2002, 02:00 AM
FUN4JT
Racer

Quick Reply: C5 Stereo Upgrade In the Works