Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pac-GM11 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Ricbear
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pac-GM11 Problem

Decided to put this question in it's own thread.
Installed a x930Bt in a 08 replacing the stock nav unit.

x930bt
kenwood amp with focal speakers by Dennis
PAC RP5-GM11
Reverse Camera.
OnStar
Steering wheel controls
Removed Bose amplifier
Did bypass for NAV input and DVD Dennis shows in another thread.
Did not cut the brown loop on the RP5 yet.

The unit works great, thanks to Mark, the amps trigger like they should.
Blue tooth works muting the HU. Reverse works.

Here is the problem. When I place a call with OnStar the HU is shutting off instead of muting. It turns back on when you press the OnStar call button again to terminate the call. No sound for the call can be heard when this happens. Need to get OnStar working correctly before I button it back up.

Otherwise it works great including the steering wheel controls and chime.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:42 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricbear
Decided to put this question in it's own thread.
Installed a x930Bt in a 08 replacing the stock nav unit.

x930bt
kenwood amp with focal speakers by Dennis
PAC RP5-GM11
Reverse Camera.
OnStar
Steering wheel controls
Removed Bose amplifier
Did bypass for NAV input and DVD Dennis shows in another thread.
Did not cut the brown loop on the RP5 yet.

The unit works great, thanks to Mark, the amps trigger like they should.
Blue tooth works muting the HU. Reverse works.

Here is the problem. When I place a call with OnStar the HU is shutting off instead of muting. It turns back on when you press the OnStar call button again to terminate the call. No sound for the call can be heard when this happens. Need to get OnStar working correctly before I button it back up.

Otherwise it works great including the steering wheel controls and chime.
That's correct. I just went thru this "problem" my self, however that's the way the harness works. The head unit powers off when you make a Onstar call. I couldn't stand this among other things and took out my Kenwood after three days and returned my '13 GS back to stock with the oem Bose.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 PM
Ricbear
Racer

When the unit shut off were you able to hear the OnStar thru the speakers? I am not getting anything. I can live with it shutting off the HU if I can at least get sound from OnStar
Old 01-13-2015, 10:01 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricbear
When the unit shut off were you able to hear the OnStar thru the speakers? I am not getting anything. I can live with it shutting off the HU if I can at least get sound from OnStar
This was a couple of months ago and I'm trying to think back. I was so pissed with the whole setup and the way it worked i'm sort of blocking it out of my head. From what I remember I'm pretty sure it did work or whats the sense..
Old 01-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Ricbear
Racer

Originally Posted by red2012

This was a couple of months ago and I'm trying to think back. I was so pissed with the whole setup and the way it worked i'm sort of blocking it out of my head. From what I remember I'm pretty sure it did work or whats the sense..
Maybe Dennis will see this and give some in sight
Old 01-13-2015, 08:37 PM
Ricbear
Racer

Talked with Dennis and cut the brown wire as suggested. Even hooked it up like the instructions with the mute wire after undoing the bypass and.......still no sound and Hu shutting off when hitting the OnStar button. This thing is pissing me off.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:51 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

If the HU is powering down when onstar is used, then you're losing the 12v trigger to your amp, so you're not going to hear anything that's being sent through the amp.

I'm not sure if the RP5 functions the same as the old GMAH24 did, but THIS THREAD details how the GMAH24 was wired for onstar.

If the RP5 is routing the onstar sound through the amp, which is turned off, then you could rig up a relay and a few diodes to make the amp stay powered if accessory power is on when you use onstar. The diagram below would be the basic idea, but you'd put the amp trigger on the line labeled 'wiper' and switched power on the line labeled 'B3'.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:26 AM
kustomkaraudio
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that Mark is onto something here, I don't think that the deck shutting off is your problem though. Since you removed the Bose amp, the GM-11 is trying to send On-Star audio to the Bose amp and then out to the speakers.

Try moving the harness to the " Non Amplified Factory Audio " port on the module. Then cut the white and white/black wires and hook them up to a speaker ( your cars center speaker is probably not being used )

You can reference the instructions for the Pac Audio OS-2 and then look at option #2 ( essentially the same instructions that Mark referenced )

I have not personally used this module , in this configuration, but no reason it shouldn't work, because the RP5-GM11 is basically a OS-2C, OS-2C Bose and SWI-RC in on box.

Good Luck, hopefully this works out great for you.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:18 PM
Ricbear
Racer

When I had the stock unit I used a GMADD harness with the amp mod to run the Kenwood amp to the Focals, disconnected the center channel, bypassing the Bose amp.
I would get the chimes and the OnStar thru the front focals.

The only difference that I did was remove the GMADD harness and stock radio, add the RP5 and changed the stock nav to the X930, connecting the existing kenwood, and nvx amp to the appropriate front, rear, and sub RCA outputs, and now get nothing as mentioned. Since the Bose amp was not being used I removed it.
I have the x930 wired to the RP5 harness, then the RP5 plugged to the two GM harnesses.

KustomKaraudio - I have tried the amplified and the non amplified harness location. I even connected the left and right RCA that is on the RP5 of the RCE to the AUX 2 of the pioneer and cannot get anything either way.

Mark - When pressing the OnStar call button you can hear a distinctive click in the RP5, then the pioneer will go black screen, I have checked the amps during this and the power lights are still on. As soon as you turn off the OnStar call then the unit will come back on and play. It is almost like there is no sound passing thru to the amps when the system shuts down.

Kustom, Mark. I do not have a center channel speaker anymore. I modified the speaker to use the frame for a bracket to hold the GPS antenna. Which works great by the way.

I undid the mod the address input that Dennis has on the forum board, and even cut the brown loop on the RP5 and nothing from OnStar, I connected the yellow mute to the brown outer wire and no sound. I have since put the mod back together, and connected the brown loop back up. The one thing that I have not tried is using a y connector for the RCAs on the RP5 directly to the amp connections to see if I get sound.

Kind of at wits end with this, all works great, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, and nav, except for the sound from the OnStar, I really do not want to have the center channel hooked up and muddy the sound from the focals in the front. just cannot figure out why the system is not muting an playing like the instructions say it would. It leads me to believe something may not be right in the RP5.

Last edited by Ricbear; 01-21-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:49 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

I am getting ready to wire up my RP5-GM11. I am not using any of the factory audio components.

The documentation from PAC for this is bad.

From what I can tell reviewing the C6 pinouts posted by markcz, the audio out of the OnStar module is on connector C2. The PAC doc does not indicate where this audio signal is fed and what to do when bypassing the factory amp.

Thanks

Gary
Old 02-03-2015, 12:39 AM
kustomkaraudio
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
I am getting ready to wire up my RP5-GM11. I am not using any of the factory audio components.

The documentation from PAC for this is bad.

From what I can tell reviewing the C6 pinouts posted by markcz, the audio out of the OnStar module is on connector C2. The PAC doc does not indicate where this audio signal is fed and what to do when bypassing the factory amp.

Thanks

Gary
If you reference my original post, and treat your RP-5 like a old OS-2 it should work. One thing you might over thinking a bit, is that the RP-5 will power the out board speaker ( hence using the disconnected center speaker )
Old 02-04-2015, 01:15 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kustomkaraudio
If you reference my original post, and treat your RP-5 like a old OS-2 it should work. One thing you might over thinking a bit, is that the RP-5 will power the out board speaker ( hence using the disconnected center speaker )
Which wires off of the RP5 has the audio out for On Star, the white white/black on the 24 pin connector?

Gary
Old 02-04-2015, 03:49 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
Which wires off of the RP5 has the audio out for On Star, the white white/black on the 24 pin connector?

Gary
I'm having trouble getting pages to load at work tonight, but it looks like white and white/black are the ones to use

Originally Posted by kustomkaraudio
Try moving the harness to the " Non Amplified Factory Audio " port on the module. Then cut the white and white/black wires and hook them up to a speaker
Old 02-04-2015, 10:44 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by markcz
I'm having trouble getting pages to load at work tonight, but it looks like white and white/black are the ones to use
Thanks Mark. I figured that the Left Front output would be passing the On Star audio. Just I don't expect it to be amplified.

I am taking pictures of my install and will put together a install post when done.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Pac-GM11 Problem

Quick Reply: Pac-GM11 Problem