Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Manual Extraction of CDs

Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 AM
BURS
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Extraction of CDs

Has anyone ever tried to manually extract CDs that are stuck in your radio? I have a 2005 coupe with the in-dash 6 CD changer (Bose) and the unit isn't working properly. The display works but shows a "pwr error" or "cd initialising" message and there is no audio coming from the unit (either in media or radio mode).
Would like to retrieve my music collection, so some suggestions would be appreciated.
Also, as this unit is toast imo, should I go buy another stock unit like the above or go after market? I'm just looking for a replacement deck...not a complete audio overhaul.

BURS
Old 08-16-2015, 08:59 PM
BURS
Cruising

ttt.....anyone??
Old 08-16-2015, 10:55 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

As far as I know if the player will not eject the cd my pressing the eject buttons you will have to remove the unit and open the case to manually eject the disc. Even if the unit won't play the CD it should eject it. Is the display lit? Check the fuse make sure there is power to the unit as the first step.
If you want.to replace the unit check with Dennis at http://www.doubledmods.com he is running a special on everything you need all pre-wired. Dennis is a forum vendor and a great guy. There is a thread in this section about the special.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Check out this thread. If you have to remove your stock unit this will help.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html
Old 08-17-2015, 11:41 AM
BURS
Cruising

I removed the unit a week ago, it's in pieces on my garage floor.

The unit had power, the fuse looked fine, the display was working, but as said in my op, error messages were appearing such as "pwr error" and "cd initialising". No audio from the radio or the cd player.

With the unit out of the car, I can't seem to figure out a way to manually eject the DVDs.

The unit is probably never going to work again. The problem is..... when I decide to go throw the unit down on the pavement (in anger) to beat my way into it, it will destroy the CD's

Any suggestions?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:29 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Well sad to say no I don't really know what to say, the only time I had a issues like this it was pretty easy to get the CD s out with the unit open. It was not a C6 unit thru. I just unattached a locking lever and I could force the unit to spit them out. Wish I could help. Call Dennis at Double D he is a great guy and may be able to help you get the CDs out even if you don't buy anything from him.
Good Luck
Old 08-17-2015, 01:29 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
As far as I know if the player will not eject the cd my pressing the eject buttons you will have to remove the unit and open the case to manually eject the disc.
I've never done it, but that's what I was thinking also.

Once out of the car it should just be plastic tabs and screws to disassemble the HU.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:09 PM
BURS
Cruising

I managed to get the CDs out of the unit without taking the bloody thing apart.
Spun a gear at the right rear (I believe) of the unit until the CD door opened. Spun it some more until the first cd was pushed out of its shelf. Then pushed it out-through the rest of the way with a small, thin screwdriver.
The other CDs were bent a little in order to fit out through the door but I checked them all and they looked/worked fine.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:43 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Glad you got it out, now call Dennis and get a new Pioneer or Kenwood unit. I have a Pioneer Z120 and love it all my tunes are on SD cards which is easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Extraction of CDs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual Extraction of CDs