Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with intermittent power up issue on C5

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 05:42 PM
SoAlVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Help with intermittent power up issue on C5

I recently purchased and installed in my 2000 C5 vert an Alpine CDE-153BT receiver from Crutchfield along with the Metra Corvette-Bose XSVI-2004 Bose Interface for 97-Up. The issue I am having is with the interface(I think). Sometimes it powers right up, within 5 seconds, when I turn on the key. Sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds to power up. I contacted Crutchfield, and they gave me this reset procedure for the Metra:

ACC power won't turn on, off or no audio? With the battery connected, remove the XSVI (or just disconnect from the car at the radio harness). Turn the car off, open the door to kill R.A.P., then shut the door and let the car go to sleep. Plug the radio/XSVI back in, and the accessory output should go low. Then turn on the car and wait about 30 seconds for the XSVI to find the car.

Not sure what "the accessory output should go low" means.

Anyway, I tried this and was still having the same issues, so Crutchfield sent me a replacement Metra. I am having the same issues with the new one. Sometimes it comes right on. Sometimes 10 - 15 second delay, a couple of times it has had an almost 30 second delay.

If I turn the stereo off manually, shut the car off, then turn the car on, and turn the stereo on manually, it comes right on. So the problem seems R.A.P. related.

Anyone had issues like this before? Very frustrating.

It will always come on, just have to sit there and wait on it sometimes.

By the way, the stereo never loses it's memory.

Can the R.A.P. be bypassed. What would be the issues there?

I also have Sirius hooked up to it and my stock AM/FM automatic antenna, both work fine.

Last edited by SoAlVette; 09-05-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:23 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

It could be that the radio is slow to respond to the trigger. You can connect a meter (or even just a light bulb) to the trigger wire so you can determine if it's the XSVI or the radio that is the problem.

You can skip the XSVI RAP trigger and just use normal switched power from the footwell if needed.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:39 PM
shward1
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

SoAlVette - Any update on your issue?

I just did the install yesterday in my 2004 Z06 and am experiencing the same behavior.

I am using the XVSI-2004 with a Kenwood KDC-X998 HU. The install went off without a hitch, but HU turn on is some times delayed and dependent on how long car is turned off.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:15 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

If the car is running but the radio isn't turning on, then the issue is almost certainly the XSVI if it works "sometimes". I'd get a new one if it's under warranty, or just wire the radio trigger to a stock sitched power wire in the footwell.

If you can find the 3-wire accessory pigtail, the yellow wire is switched.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with intermittent power up issue on C5

Quick Reply: Help with intermittent power up issue on C5