Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

06 C6 - Added Steering Wheel Controls, No Response?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 04:12 AM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 06 C6 - Added Steering Wheel Controls, No Response?

Well, I'm finally throwing in the towel and asking the Vette audio experts out there for help!

The basics:
2006 C6 A6 (BOSE/ No Nav/ no radio controls)

installed OEM Navigation PN: Denso 15791220 468100-5600
and had the Nav flashed to car (~6 months ago)

Added a new 2012 steering wheel w/ radio controls
added new 2007+ Clock Spring
followed guide posted here, essentially just adding 3 wires from the clock spring to the back of the radio
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-upgrade.html

I followed the guide quite closely and, despite this, I can't seem to get the steering wheel controls working! As well as the button lights are working but don't shut off? I was fairly certain I tapped into the lamp control on the HVAC as the guide said.

I wasn't sure if I had to get the Nav re-flashed or updated in order to enable the controls?

It is functioning as it was, and is happily disobeying my wheel controls

I can't imagine the pinouts being different for any of the connectors by year.

Any advice?

Last edited by VetteofSD; 01-27-2016 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:04 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

What year car is the radio from?

I'm pretty sure that the Nav unit had to come from a car that originally had steering wheel controls in order for it to recognize the buttons in the new car.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:22 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

I'm not too sure, I bought it on ebay for cheap about 6 months ago. When I was buying it, I considered the future idea of getting the wheel controls so I looked up (on the forum) what radio PN the buttons worked with. I found a few different threads with that part number so I felt confident it should work. From what I've read, this PN radio should be 2007 I believe.

Last edited by VetteofSD; 01-27-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:33 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Assuming the radio works, it might be something in your wiring.

Unplug the big radio plug, put a meter on ohms and measure between pins A6 & A7. You may need to straighten out a paper clip and put the leads on them. Push the Volume Up button, meter should read about 1270 ohms.

If that's right, maybe the radio isn't putting out +12v on A6. To check that you have to find the purple/white wire in the clockspring while the radio is on.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:04 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Originally Posted by markcz
Assuming the radio works, it might be something in your wiring.

Unplug the big radio plug, put a meter on ohms and measure between pins A6 & A7. You may need to straighten out a paper clip and put the leads on them. Push the Volume Up button, meter should read about 1270 ohms.

If that's right, maybe the radio isn't putting out +12v on A6. To check that you have to find the purple/white wire in the clockspring while the radio is on.
Hi sorry for the delay. Hmm well I'm getting 1270 from the volume up, 1274 to be precise, as well as a resistance response from each control. It looks like the wiring is okay. Damn..not sure what the issue is.

Any other ideas? At this point it very well could be the navigation unit but I was so certain I had the right one!

Also thank you very much for the help by the way! Part of what makes this forum great
Old 02-02-2016, 09:09 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Just in case, if anyone else can confirm, this is the correct navigation unit for wheel controls? The picture is from my current unit
Old 02-02-2016, 10:54 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

See if the radio is putting out the +12v on A6, if not then that's your problem. Of course, I really don't know if the non-SWC radios also have +12v on A6
Old 01-24-2018, 07:10 PM
Tj25
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

i recently upgraded my 06 wheel to a 12 wheel with radio controls.
My car has a bose system with pioneer avic-z110bt installed by previous owner using pac bose os unit

I used the rp5-gm11When i was installing the new wheel with the 07+ clockspring. Instead of buying a new harness i spliced the 3(red,brown,purple) radio wires aside to tackle steering wheel controls later.

Set the pac unit to 7 for pionner and hooked up the 3.5 to the HU
Called pac customer service and a techinician told me to connect the 3 wires to these wires as follows.

At the pac connector connected to the 24 pin car plug. I tapped into these wire colors

Brown SW to 12v i choose yellow in my car
Red SW to green/white on pac unit
Purple SW to red on pac unit

All is working no further programming needed.

Hope this info helps to all trying to upgrade their wheels to 07+ wheels

Last edited by Tj25; 04-19-2018 at 11:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 06 C6 - Added Steering Wheel Controls, No Response?

Quick Reply: 06 C6 - Added Steering Wheel Controls, No Response?