Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 Backup Camera not displaying image

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 12:04 AM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C6 Backup Camera not displaying image

So here's my dilema, guys, I installed a backup camera today. Or at least made the attempt. I searched for a solution all day but haven't come up with anything. I have a double din pioneer AVH-1700 with the pac module, and the Backup camera I bought was an Auto-Vox cam1 HD. I mounted the camera, connected the red wire from the cam to the green wire on the reverse light, and the black to black. Then ran the RCA cable to the head units video in. The RCA cable had a pigtail wire that needed to get connected to the reverse signal wire. So I connected that pigtail wire to the green wire on the PAC module and the purple/white wire on the HU. So as far as I know, I connected everything properly. Went to turn the car on before sticking the HU back. Put it in reverse after changing a setting on the HU to enable rear view camera, but I only get a blank screen with a caution sign that the image may be reversed. I then put it back in neutral, then reverse again and the same thing happens. Just a blank screen with the warning. So my first thought is that maybe the camera is bad. So luckily I had another that I bought to install in my father's truck. So I pulled it out, and connected the camera to the existing wiring. And the same problem continues. So it's most likely not the camera. I'm hoping I can get some insight into something I might of overlooked.

I need to get someone to check the camera tomorrow. is it possible to have the head unit think there's a camera connected to it even if the camera might not be turning on?
I'm sure the camera is getting power since this morning I had my wife come out to the garage to see if both reverse lights came on. She said both reverse lights were lit, so that's my reasoning as to why power has to be going to the camera.

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:14 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Try relanding your ground wire for the camera.

Since the HU is auto-switching you obviously have the + connected right, so only other reason for the camera (if good) to not come on is a bad ground connection.

Also, are you sure you plugged the RCA into the right plug behind the HU?
Old 07-11-2016, 08:14 AM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

Thank you, i'll definitely redo the ground connection.

As for the RCA, I'm pretty sure I have it in the correct plug.
I only had between V. OUT & V. IN, and since I need the camera to feed into the HU, I plugged it into the V. IN.

I'll rewire the + and - connections when I get off work, thank you.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:02 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If the V-In RCA was yellow that's the wrong one.

Rear camera plugs in to a Brown RCA. It could just be an RCA plug on the back of the unit instead of an actual cable.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderxkx (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

Originally Posted by markcz
If the V-In RCA was yellow that's the wrong one.

Rear camera plugs in to a Brown RCA. It could just be an RCA plug on the back of the unit instead of an actual cable.

I feel like such a fool now, lol. Here's a pic of what the rear of my HU looks like, didn't even see another available plug the way I was holding the HU. I do have it plugged in into the yellow V. IN RCA.
I'll switch the RCA cable to the brown plug and hope it works properly.
Kinda wishing I had my tools to just do the switch during my lunch hour.

Thank you so much, you've been so helpful with every question I've posted in this sub.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:34 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Old 07-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

Found someone here at work with the sockets needed to remove the console and HU.
Switched the RCA from the camera, from the V.IN on the HU to the brown plug.
Finally got the image to show up! Thanks so much Markcz.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Backup Camera not displaying image

Quick Reply: C6 Backup Camera not displaying image