Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Suggestion for a Headunit from DD Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:29 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
So I have a DSP, it ia temporarily wired. When I get to install my Alpine i will not wire the DSP and see how it sounds. I will then mount the DSP where I want it and wire it in

Unfortunately I need to get my foot fixed and I will not be able to move around easily for the 6 weeks (Approx) then I might be able to work on the car. I might find time to remove the Dash pad this evening
That would be great to hear your thoughts on it once you get a chance to get all of that hooked up!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

I cannot wait to be able to install it all.. I am so busy this week and next Wednesday I get my foot fixed which will lay me up for a while
Old 11-01-2017, 02:51 AM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceBum

You basically ran your mouth before doing even one iota of research.

Since you disparage "features," you probably have an Alpine entry-level to mid-level radio in your dash.

You see a post from someone mentioning a high-end Pioneer and you subsequently start your reply with a sentence that sounds like it's from an adolescent with a chip on his shoulder.
C'mon, grow up Kyle.

Now, allow me to briefly reply to the rest of your post, wherein you extolled the merits of Alpines as if they're the best thing to come along since night baseball.

Alpines of today do not have the same quality that they once had, say 20 years ago.

Go out to a serious audiophile forum and submit a post full of the Alpine hyperbole that you put in your post to me...and they'll laugh you to scorn.

Regards,
-Ward
The following users liked this post:
carls2004 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward Cleaver

Alpines of today do not have the same quality that they once had, say 20 years ago.
While I believe that to be true, that statement can also be applied to Pioneer, Kenwood, Eclipse (no longer in US), Nakamichi (no longer in US).

If my Nakamichi single DIN had bluetooth and I could accept calls on it.. It would still be in my car. It sits on a shelf and I cannot let that one go..

Everyone has opinions, back in the 90s, most my friends had Pioneer, They sounded fine, I just did not care for the ergonomics and layout. I was running an Eclipse ECD-413. Everyone has their own tastes and experiences

I bought the Alpine INE-W960, Testing it with Computer speakers I know it will sound good in my car. I bought it used about $250. looks great and if I truly don't like it I will buy something else
Old 11-01-2017, 02:34 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
While I believe that to be true, that statement can also be applied to Pioneer, Kenwood, Eclipse (no longer in US), Nakamichi (no longer in US).

If my Nakamichi single DIN had bluetooth and I could accept calls on it.. It would still be in my car. It sits on a shelf and I cannot let that one go..

Everyone has opinions, back in the 90s, most my friends had Pioneer, They sounded fine, I just did not care for the ergonomics and layout. I was running an Eclipse ECD-413. Everyone has their own tastes and experiences

I bought the Alpine INE-W960, Testing it with Computer speakers I know it will sound good in my car. I bought it used about $250. looks great and if I truly don't like it I will buy something else
Oh, man The Naks were awesome back in the day. I'm not really seeing the alleged bashing of Alpine the other poster is referring to, almost the opposite:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...head-unit.html

I thought this was an interesting thread also, which comprises a list of what is generally accepted as junk, questionable, good, and high end car audio equipment. I still see Alpine on the high end list for head units and signal processors:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=337891
Old 11-01-2017, 03:20 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
Oh, man The Naks were awesome back in the day. I'm not really seeing the alleged bashing of Alpine the other poster is referring to, almost the opposite:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...head-unit.html

I thought this was an interesting thread also, which comprises a list of what is generally accepted as junk, questionable, good, and high end car audio equipment. I still see Alpine on the high end list for head units and signal processors:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=337891
Your 2 link's really dont say to much for choosing ....First link just shows most want feature's and most said they had pioneer and kenwood.... And the second link shows other brand's on the list with the Alpine's.. and it is from 2012

Last edited by carls2004; 11-01-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by carls2004
Your 2 link's really dont say to much for choosing ....First link just shows most want feature's and most said they had pioneer and kenwood.... And the second link shows other brand's on the list with the Alpine's.. and it is from 2012

this is the entire problem with deck choice and car audio in general

on one hand you have people who buy on the spec sheet and want certain features. this is their prime consideration

on the other you have people trying to recreate a home hi-fi system and may or may not care about said features

two of the best decks on the planet have no features to speak of at all, the mcintosh and sony rsx-gs9

if someone mentions decks now my first question is what they want out of it.

many of us have went to alpine because they are reasonably good sounding and have various features we use in day to day life. kenwood did step up the game with the 9904s which is another decent day to day choice.

the twofold problem i see is #1 some people have more particular hearing than others and #2 in a car the entire car affects the stereo. everything from the deck to the sound dampening and driver placement affects the sound you hear. it can get expensive if you even do a mid level install

there is also a 3rd problem and that is high end car audio is dying just like high end home audio in america. it's very niche. most people want features and low cost
carls2004 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racebum

on one hand you have people who buy on the spec sheet and want certain features. this is their prime consideration

on the other you have people trying to recreate a home hi-fi system and may or may not care about said features

two of the best decks on the planet have no features to speak of at all, the mcintosh and sony rsx-gs9

many of us have went to alpine because they are reasonably good sounding and have various features we use in day to day life. kenwood did step up the game with the 9904s which is another decent day to day choice.

the twofold problem i see is #1 some people have more particular hearing than others and #2 in a car the entire car affects the stereo. everything from the deck to the sound dampening and driver placement affects the sound you hear. it can get expensive if you even do a mid level install

there is also a 3rd problem and that is high end car audio is dying just like high end home audio in america. it's very niche. most people want features and low cost
Not to go off subject,, But i think the high end home audio has or is dying faster than car.. But thats just my thought... Home audio aim's for WOW 100 watts per channel when you actually get 35.. lol. Unless you can afford VERY top end price tag.. That why i keep my Yamaha RX-V1800, as it works and i cant afford new top end.. And im in small apartment anyways .

Last edited by carls2004; 11-01-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:19 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

I agree to an extent, but turntables and LP's have been making a nice comeback as of late with a younger generation developing an appreciation for the old school analog experience. I still spin LP's at home all the time. Love that sound.
carls2004 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 05:22 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

I agree to an extent, but turntables and LP's have been making a nice comeback as of late with a younger generation developing an appreciation for the old school analog experience. I still spin LP's at home all the time. Love that sound.
I agree on the L.P and turntables.
I was thinking of receiver's..
Old 11-02-2017, 02:37 PM
racebum
Race Director

oh they totally are. vintage is in with the hip teens and early 20s. i'm just not sure if high end audio is. i think the cost is a big part of it. companies like mcintosh, dynaudio etc. they know they are the best and charge accordingly. it prices fine gear outside the realm of normal people.

audio appreciation in general would be nice though. we have a local hi fi store than is booming. www.echohifi.com they get a lot of traffic. really no one else to compete with them anywhere near by so there is that.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:54 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

oh they totally are. vintage is in with the hip teens and early 20s. i'm just not sure if high end audio is. i think the cost is a big part of it. companies like mcintosh, dynaudio etc. they know they are the best and charge accordingly. it prices fine gear outside the realm of normal people.

audio appreciation in general would be nice though. we have a local hi fi store than is booming. www.echohifi.com they get a lot of traffic. really no one else to compete with them anywhere near by so there is that.
The market has definitely narrowed in terms of high end audio, not sure which has more between home or car but both have suffered. One thing I will say though, even back in the heyday of high end audio, it was basically out of reach to the middle class then as it is now. A basic high end audiophile caliber system in the early 90's would check in at about $100K. Even an upper middle class income doesn't usually have that kind of cabbage lying around. I think there could be a resurgence at some point, but we need more companies like Emotiva that produce gear that rivals the much more expensive but at a price point that puts it within reach of the masses. The high end world has really done a horrible job at marketing and reaching potential customers, also. You have to really look to find the real high end stuff and the brick and mortar locations to actually audition and purchase said gear are very few and far between. In my original hometown (25,000 people) there were two fairly high end stores (I managed one) and now there are none. In my present hometown (50,000 people) there was one main higher end store but it closed 5 or 6 years ago. I have to travel to a much more metropolitan area to find the stuff I like to listen to.

For me, it was always a dream to own some truly nice gear, so now that I have more income, I am slowly piecing together a nice high end system. It has taken me 25 years to do it though and I am still not satisfied. Call it an addiction!!!
carls2004 (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 02:14 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

The market has definitely narrowed in terms of high end audio, not sure which has more between home or car but both have suffered. One thing I will say though, even back in the heyday of high end audio, it was basically out of reach to the middle class then as it is now. A basic high end audiophile caliber system in the early 90's would check in at about $100K. Even an upper middle class income doesn't usually have that kind of cabbage lying around. I think there could be a resurgence at some point, but we need more companies like Emotiva that produce gear that rivals the much more expensive but at a price point that puts it within reach of the masses. The high end world has really done a horrible job at marketing and reaching potential customers, also. You have to really look to find the real high end stuff and the brick and mortar locations to actually audition and purchase said gear are very few and far between. In my original hometown (25,000 people) there were two fairly high end stores (I managed one) and now there are none. In my present hometown (50,000 people) there was one main higher end store but it closed 5 or 6 years ago. I have to travel to a much more metropolitan area to find the stuff I like to listen to.

For me, it was always a dream to own some truly nice gear, so now that I have more income, I am slowly piecing together a nice high end system. It has taken me 25 years to do it though and I am still not satisfied. Call it an addiction!!!
Hey i havent heard anyone lately mention Emotiva.. Thanks... Now im looking at my rear surround's that i was thinking of selling.. (used very little) Emotiva ERD-1bi/di polar speakers

Last edited by carls2004; 11-04-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:14 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by carls2004
Hey i havent heard anyone lately mention Emotiva.. Thanks... Now im looking at my rear surround's that i was thinking of selling.. (used very little) Emotiva ERD-1bi/di polar speakers
it's a great bang for the buck brand. kind of took over where adcom left off. emo is the entry to real home amplifiers
carls2004 (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 10:17 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Howdy gang... yup... I am kinda back. Same bogus who put the C4 audio faq together.

A few observations....

1. Audio took a major dump about 2001. When the trend to hotrod Civics ended, so did car audio. The final straw was in 2008 when the economy took a bigger dump.

2. In 2000, there were at least 2 good car audio mags, and every sport compact car mag had some section on car audio.

That's all gone now... and thanks to better factory audio, and factory audio that can't be enhanced easily, has all but forced audiophiles underground.

The number of audio shops has been sliced to the bone. The good places are gone, and the only places left are selling cheap, large sub boxes to kids who have little cash... Who care nothing about sound quality.

Which leaves us with this post... there are limited options anymore. Alpine hasn't made a good head unit since the 7998 and that was nearly 15 years ago. Pioneer (DEX-99RS) makes the best head unit on the market, but at $1200, not many ppl are buying.

I went through this debate back in May when I needed a new head unit for my 2006 coupe. After much debate, much research, I ended up with the Kenwood 9903S (the 9904 wasn't out yet). It sounds great, has all the features I needed and wanted and has the right specs to round out a full audio system.

My next debate is what front stage... Morel, Focal... ugh... and I am leaning at 3-ways.

I have decided on a BK Butler tube driver. A new version is due out by Christmas. 2x150. I have a Focal 2 channel that will run the rear stage, a pioneer 800 watt mono (1 ohm stable) to drive the 13" JL Audio (13TW5v2-2).
Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
My next debate is what front stage... Morel, Focal... ugh... and I am leaning at 3-ways.
I would recommend a three-way using Audiofrog, Dynaudio, or Morel.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:35 PM
racebum
Race Director

Howdy gang... yup... I am kinda back. Same bogus who put the C4 audio faq together.

A few observations....

1. Audio took a major dump about 2001. When the trend to hotrod Civics ended, so did car audio. The final straw was in 2008 when the economy took a bigger dump.

2. In 2000, there were at least 2 good car audio mags, and every sport compact car mag had some section on car audio.

That's all gone now... and thanks to better factory audio, and factory audio that can't be enhanced easily, has all but forced audiophiles underground.

The number of audio shops has been sliced to the bone. The good places are gone, and the only places left are selling cheap, large sub boxes to kids who have little cash... Who care nothing about sound quality.

Which leaves us with this post... there are limited options anymore. Alpine hasn't made a good head unit since the 7998 and that was nearly 15 years ago. Pioneer (DEX-99RS) makes the best head unit on the market, but at $1200, not many ppl are buying.

I went through this debate back in May when I needed a new head unit for my 2006 coupe. After much debate, much research, I ended up with the Kenwood 9903S (the 9904 wasn't out yet). It sounds great, has all the features I needed and wanted and has the right specs to round out a full audio system.

I have decided on a BK Butler tube driver. A new version is due out by Christmas. 2x150. I have a Focal 2 channel that will run the rear stage, a pioneer 800 watt mono (1 ohm stable) to drive the 13" JL Audio (13TW5v2-2).
have you ever heard the pioneer 99 prs? it's the best pioneer ever made but it still sounds like pioneer. i'd much rather have the mcintosh deck or the sony gs9. that sony especially is a bang for the buck deck in high end. really pleasant tonal balance

if you do a proper 3way system like the elate 603, they can sound absolutely amazing but the source unit, music file and most often overlooked amplifiers have to be up to the task. it would also be far far easier and less costly to use the elate 602 in an active 2 way system

1. sony gs9 $1500
2. morel elate 603 $1999 retail, $1500 street price
3. audison thesis quattro $ at least 2500, they are all special order
4. consumer level audison AV quattro 4ch amp $1000 street price
5. audison bit one dsp $549
6. JL audio 10 or 12w6v3 $400-500, sealed qtc 707 alignment
7. jl 600/1v3 subwoofer amplifier $600

that gets you a semi active front stage, high end gear. it gets costly and the amps are large. if you use some class D amp like a JL HD you won't get anywhere near the sound. if you want the elate's to sing you have to feed them with real amplifiers. zapco c2k, phoenix gold ZPA, audison AV at a minimum for that brand. i have heard the elates on an audison thesis and also heard them on a JL HD class D. night and day.....night and day. the brilliant depth and striking realism are gone on the class D. the JL HD is also one of the better class d digital amps a person can buy

if you use the passive crossovers you may have to experiment with resistor values to get the balance right between the 3 and potentially build zobels if you get bleedthrough on crossover points. i can't speak for the elate but there is bleedthrough on the hybrid 602. woofer reaches up higher than it should add a zobel to the woofer and like magic the tonal balance of the set improves greatly

this will be a costly adventure.

high end car audio is still here and low end car audio is actually better. it's just no where near as popular as it was in 1995-2001. it's very niche now. some of the prestige is also gone. the big made in the USA fosgate amps, show cars with 24 subwoofers. you don't see it much anymore.

Last edited by racebum; 11-04-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestion for a Headunit from DD Mods

Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

A few observations....

It seems like the Alpine/Pioneer/Kenwood debate is never ending. Even back in the day, there were die hard Pioneer guys that would come in the store and puff their chest out and claim their Pioneer sounded way better than Alpine. Sooooo....we would go out and listen and then listen to a comparable Alpine head unit. To me, the Alpine always sounded better. I think it is just how we perceive sound and all differ to some extent. I heard so many good things about Pioneer in present day that I bought one but sure enough, it didn't sound good to me. I would like to audition the Kenwood though especially if it is reported to have a bit warmer sound but for now I am tickled with the sound of the Alpine.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:03 PM
bogus
Team Owner

have you ever heard the pioneer 99 prs? it's the best pioneer ever made but it still sounds like pioneer. i'd much rather have the mcintosh deck or the sony gs9. that sony especially is a bang for the buck deck in high end. really pleasant tonal balance

if you do a proper 3way system like the elate 603, they can sound absolutely amazing but the source unit, music file and most often overlooked amplifiers have to be up to the task. it would also be far far easier and less costly to use the elate 602 in an active 2 way system

1. sony gs9 $1500
2. morel elate 603 $1999 retail, $1500 street price
3. audison thesis quattro $ at least 2500, they are all special order
4. consumer level audison AV quattro 4ch amp $1000 street price
5. audison bit one dsp $549
6. JL audio 10 or 12w6v3 $400-500, sealed qtc 707 alignment
7. jl 600/1v3 subwoofer amplifier $600

that gets you a semi active front stage, high end gear. it gets costly and the amps are large. if you use some class D amp like a JL HD you won't get anywhere near the sound. if you want the elate's to sing you have to feed them with real amplifiers. zapco c2k, phoenix gold ZPA, audison AV at a minimum for that brand. i have heard the elates on an audison thesis and also heard them on a JL HD class D. night and day.....night and day. the brilliant depth and striking realism are gone on the class D. the JL HD is also one of the better class d digital amps a person can buy

if you use the passive crossovers you may have to experiment with resistor values to get the balance right between the 3 and potentially build zobels if you get bleedthrough on crossover points. i can't speak for the elate but there is bleedthrough on the hybrid 602. woofer reaches up higher than it should add a zobel to the woofer and like magic the tonal balance of the set improves greatly

this will be a costly adventure.

high end car audio is still here and low end car audio is actually better. it's just no where near as popular as it was in 1995-2001. it's very niche now. some of the prestige is also gone. the big made in the USA fosgate amps, show cars with 24 subwoofers. you don't see it much anymore.
I am well aware it is an expensive proposition.

I have heard the Pioneer, but it was in a show car with tons of bass, so I didn't get a sense of the sound quality... that is the biggest problem with car audio shops taking a crap, there are no places to hear half the gear.

As for listening, have you ever heard a Butler Tube Drive amp? It's up to the task, trust me on this. Pure Class A, with a pair of vacuum tubes to clean up the MOSFET front end. Works very nicely. I had one many years ago, the next version would be #4; I have v1...
Old 11-05-2017, 04:04 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
I would recommend a three-way using Audiofrog, Dynaudio, or Morel.
I will check out AudioFrog and Dynaudio. Thanks!