Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Suggestion for a Headunit from DD Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:05 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Suggestion for a Headunit (and Equipment)

I have been thinking about getting rid of my Off brand Android Headunit..

I like it it, but for the limited amount I drive my Corvette, I don't need all that functionality

I do like the creature features of the touch screen.. I am thinking of the following:
Kenwood DDX9703S or Kenwood DMX7704S. If there are more suggestions..

Features I would like

- HD Radio
- Maps (I use an iPhone, but prefer Google maps, which I am out of luck on Car Play)
- Ease of integration with my Phone, Although I know you still need to 'plug it in'
- Decent sound quality

How do I store music on either of the units I mentioned, meaning, if I get in the car for a quick trip, I will not physically connect my phone, will that be an issue? Currently the radio in my car has everything I need, with exception of maps, meaning I would need to Hot spot my phone, which I can do, but also thought of a Wifi HotSpot dongle.

Current radio does not have HD radio or good RBDS, sadly enough I mostly use the radio, or with the phone I would use Apply music or such.

Just trying to determine my best solution.

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 12-01-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:52 PM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought the DMX7704s from Dennis. This unit does not have a CD/DVD player in it if that is important to you. Just an FYI there.

Dennis recommended it over the 9903s due to a sound quality issue he's had intermittently on the 9903s with an ipod. I'm sure he could explain further but I have no issues with my 7704s. Dennis told me he recently replaced the 9903S with the 7704s in his Jeep and is happy with it. That was good enough for me!

-HD radio: it's in there. Normal radio works fine but we do not have HD radio stations around my area to give you any feedback on that. (There's a website you can check to see who has HD stations around you.)
- Maps: sadly, no google maps and no Waze on carplay. I hear the android version has a beta right now but no luck for us apple users. Apple maps works fine. It's no where near as good as Waze IMO but it's sufficient. We used it all the way form Erie, PA to Bowling Green, KY and back with no issues. It's just not as "friendly" to use and of course doesn't have the user warnings of Waze. Also, the head unit has it's own GPS antenna to take some of the load off of your phone's GPS and improve resolution. If you ever used your phone as a GPS you know the thing gets VERY hot. When connected my iPhone 6S was not as hot as when using GPS by itself in Waze. Not a scientific test but just a casual observation.
-Ease of integration with iPhone: Easy. No other way to put it. As with most units (except an Alpine that I know of) to use Carplay you have to plug the phone in via the lightning connector to a USB port.
-- side note: there are two USB ports with this radio. Only one can be used for Carplay.
If you do NOT plug your phone in, it will discover via bluetooth and will play music etc via bluetooth from your pocket. I read that you can have multiple bluetooth devices connected at once. It will allow two phones connected simultaneously and allow either to pick up a call. As soon as you plug it in to the USB plug (the carplay plug) the bluetooth will be disabled- it notifies you on the screen.

Incase the logistics matter to you: On our trip my phone was connected via the USB to carplay. It was the soucre for the apple maps nav. My phone doesn't have any music on it.
All of our music was on an iTouch. ONLY ONE APPLE DEVICE WILL BE RECOGNIZED by USB. Plugging in the iTouch by the second USB shows a warning that only the first device is recognized. It will still charge the device though. The iTouch was then plugged in via the 1/8" AUX jack for the sound. It will play the second device through this while also running Carplay (with NAV) on the first device. It sounds a little wonky but it works just fine.

-Sound quality: I'm not a great audiophile but I bought the whole rock in a box deal from DD Mods and with some sound deadening (especially inside the doors) from both "sounddeadenershowdown" and the foam kit from "vettenuts" the car is quieter, cooler, and sounds amazing to me. THe unit has so many sound adjustments I'm still trying to learn what it all does.

In addition to our two i-Device strategy above, you can simply store a bunch of music on a USB stick and just plug that in and use it. Technically, the quality will probably be better than an iPod since you can store the music up to some pretty high quality formats. THe unit will read just about anything.

Another note- out of pure laziness I use Pandora a lot when by myself. It works great through Carplay. You can even "like" or "dislike" songs right on the touchscreen.

-the cameras: I thought the cameras would just be a novelty but they work very well both front and rear. The 7704S also will work with Kenwoods new fancy dashcam recorder thing if you are into that. I don't have it so no opinion to offer there.

One more thought- You can put your own background screen on the unit. I found a thread on this site with some cool corvette background in the correct format and now have a cool crossed flags background that looks like the unit came from the factory!
Now If only I could figure out how to change the initial splash screen......

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions. I have this specific unit but many others like Rob and Marc were an immense help to me when I installed my stereo (and they didn't even know it!) I found almost everything I needed by searching this section of the forum to gut the interior of my brand new (to me) Corvette and replace every piece of stereo equipment.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:00 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Thanks that helps.. My daily ride has HD so I know what I can get..

Sounds like it is a nice finished product as is should be.. I have modded my android a bit so I have not fully decided what to do. I know if I got a wifi dongle I think my current unit will suffice..

Still trying to decide the best plan of action..
Old 06-13-2017, 07:30 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

should be able to get a 9903s for $520-550 if you shop around and haggle. if you're sold on kenwood that's probably their best deck at the moment.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:07 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Not sold on Kenwood.. looking for options and opinions. Thanks for the info on the 9903. But I am guessing it is an older model based on the numbering scheme.. the DMX7704s is new this year correct?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:37 AM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep. I ordered it before Dennis even had them in stock at the end of March. He shipped everything out as soon as he got them in.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:53 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Just some food for thought, but if you are not sold on Kenwood and sound quality is important to you, considering an Alpine would be a good choice. I had a high end Pioneer (Avic-7200) and swapped it out for an Alpine INE-W960 and the difference in sound quality is incredible. I have not heard the new Kenwoods but am told they sound a little better than the Pioneer but not as good as Alpine. Just my .02.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:16 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Not sold on Kenwood.. looking for options and opinions. Thanks for the info on the 9903. But I am guessing it is an older model based on the numbering scheme.. the DMX7704s is new this year correct?
9903 is one step above the 9703 as is the newest linux OS deck. 5v pre outs auto android etc. retail is fairly high but more than a few sellers wheel and deal. my local car audio store has them at 549 for example

the 9903s and the GPS version of the same are now their two flagship decks

however...i'd also get that alpine 960 unless you just can't live without auto android. the 960 is just a better sounding pre out

Last edited by racebum; 06-14-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:42 PM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 183 Likes on 89 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had Dennis install a Kenwood Excelon DNX893s last summer and I'm loving it. Lots of connectivity. Google it to get all the details.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:16 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The new replacement 6.95" radios from kenwood are expected to ship next month.
So ask me once I get the info lol
Old 06-15-2017, 07:37 AM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I considered the DMX7704s but 2Way X'Over High pass filter stops at 250 Hz.
Even the cheapest Kenwood double dins have a 2Way X'Over Tweeter filter 1k/1.6k/2k/3.15k/4k/5k etc.
I will run an active setup with 6 channels Tweeter, Midrange, Subs.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:41 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
I considered the DMX7704s but 2Way X'Over High pass filter stops at 250 Hz.
Even the cheapest Kenwood double dins have a 2Way X'Over Tweeter filter 1k/1.6k/2k/3.15k/4k/5k etc.
I will run an active setup with 6 channels Tweeter, Midrange, Subs.
good to know on the crossover. the 9903s or the 9703 both seem good and have a nice good price too..

For Crossover duty, i do have a MiniDSP 6x8 waiting to be installed
Old 06-15-2017, 12:14 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

DDX9904S and DDX9704S suffer from the same x-over problem.
I considered the MiniDSP.
I want to put together the rest first, then move from Deck DSP to outboard DSP.
What other speakers /Amplifiers are you using?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:57 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Currently:
Front:
Arc Audo KS300.4
CDt Tweeter and 4" on a passive on 2 channels
CDT 6.5 Active Xover on amp on other 2 Channels

Rear:
Arc Audio KS 300.4 Bridged
Pair of Elemental Designs EU700s active xover on amp

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 06-15-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:01 PM
racebum
Race Director

good to know on the crossover. the 9903s or the 9703 both seem good and have a nice good price too..

For Crossover duty, i do have a MiniDSP 6x8 waiting to be installed
there are 2 really annoying things about kenwood you need to know about however. at least with the 9903s, 9703 is likely the same as it's a lower model

1. the volume stops at 15 and you have to manually tap it one at a time to go over

2. with auto android connected the noise floor increases substantially. this means you have an unnatural amount of hiss in the music. most noticeable at lower volume levels

then there's alpine which sounds considerably better, has no design flaws, a real parametric eq and most functions you will use day to day

Last edited by racebum; 06-15-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:33 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

So I have an iPhone currently.. not sure it makes a difference. I need to tweak my android unit a bit, it might just stay in the car
Old 06-15-2017, 06:00 PM
racebum
Race Director

So I have an iPhone currently.. not sure it makes a difference. I need to tweak my android unit a bit, it might just stay in the car
if you have an iphone the alpine ilx-107 is slated to be released very soon. it will be the most up to date iphone integration and get this. wireless ! no other deck i know of has wireless tethering

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestion for a Headunit from DD Mods

Old 06-16-2017, 09:04 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

My Iphone 6s works awesome with the Alpine. I am using the Alpine adapter cable that plugs into USB port and the lightning connector on phone. The Alpine head unit then controls the iphone and shows album artwork and the whole nine yards. Very pleased with this head unit. Not as many features as Kenwood or Pioneer but sound quality is far superior.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:47 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I will have to find a place locally that has them when I am ready and check them out first had.. I am working on my Android unit, sounds decent but there are a couple gaps i need to 'fix' if I am able to do that I might wait. looking at the ILX, I like it, especially the relay module you can add to it
Old 06-18-2017, 10:22 AM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Decisions, decisions. Now I am considering the AVH-2300NEX. It has the tweeter crossover points I want. No one is stocking them, atm. Also the Pioneer AVH-X491BHS.