Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Customize Start Up Screen on 2017 Kenwood

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Pump77
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Customize Start Up Screen on 2017 Kenwood

I recently finished installing a Kenwood DNX994S in my 2006 coupe.
Searched a bunch to find out how to customize the Startup (Boot, & sometimes referred to as "flash") screen (not the "Background Screen"). Finally found clear instructions on How To Do It at
https://goo.gl/YVLC6m
If I understood it correctly this works for all the new 2017 units.

As others have posted, the image has to be 800 x 480 pixels, 16bit R5G6B5.
BTY a good free image translator to produce 16bit format is GIMP. Use the "File: Export as" tool, select "Windows bmp" file type and then "advanced "options to specify 16 bit R5G6B5

I used Windows Paint.net to create image, then GIMP to translate to 16 bit.
This is what I changed mine to
The following 2 users liked this post by Pump77:
CaPilotMark (02-05-2018), Vet Interested (02-03-2018)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:28 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

Good job! I also had that link, but the steps did not work for me.
Kenwood sent me a txt file that worked.
The following users liked this post:
jrprich (06-09-2018)
Old 09-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Pump77
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Kenwood Customize USB drive contents

The USB drive contains 2 files
The first one is the bit map image file named image1.bmp
The second one is a text file named OpeningCustomize.txt

image1.bmp is the image that you want to customize to
OpeningCustomize.txt is a text file containing the following(shown in red only for identification purposes):
Opening Customize
[FILE]image1.bmp
[VERSION]9876
~END

The text file appears to be a inline command file to link the image file name to the actual .bmp image fle name. I suspect that you could change the second line to read: [FILE]yourname.bmp
and the then name the bit map image file as yourname.bmp and it would still work. But I didn't test it so why mess with success?

Last edited by Pump77; 09-06-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Has this been accomplished on a C7 yet w/ MyLink Radio?

My friend did this on his factory BMW, got a pic of his wife and kids, every time the radio burst on... TIA.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:14 PM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm glad to see success with this. I have that exact link stored for when the car comes out it's hibernation. I have changed the background screen to the crossed flags but I want to change the bootup screen too.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:35 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

The attached tread deals with Pioneer systems but it may give you some ideas what we have done to our Pioneer's. As I'm not a computer expert, I don't know if you could copy some of these and change the format to work with your Kenwood systems. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ds-thread.html
Old 02-01-2018, 04:41 PM
Bill Treible
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the kenwood DNX994s. i tryed several time to do this and still NO LUCK. everytime still comes up with the red screen in the middle NG...
i have a 8gb flash drive
i tryed doing this on photoshop.
ive saved the file name to image1.bmp
ive added the opening customize file to the flash drive
still no luck....

is there a better sight to do this for Dummys? meaning me! lol

ive tryed several time to follow youtube videos NO LUCK! and even Carbon Car systems. still NO LUCK!

'what am i doing wrong that everyone else can do it?

thank you for any help....

Last edited by Bill Treible; 02-01-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Pump77
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Bootup (start up screen)

Are you sure the image is 800 x 480 pixels, 16bit R5G6B5. Any other file format will not work.

A good free image translator to produce 16bit format is GIMP. Use the "File: Export as" tool, select "Windows bmp" file type and then "advanced "options to specify 16 bit R5G6B5

Since my install, I developed a another start up image that I like better.

SMaster (08-29-2019)
Old 02-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Bill Treible
4th Gear

Pump- could you do me a favor i tryed i dont kn ow how many times and cant get it...

Can you send pic for pic on how and what your doing??? maybe im not doing it correctly. could you send pics on how and what your clicking on???

thank you!

i know it sounds like alot but i would really like to learn... its easier to see step by step what your clicking on and what comes on the screen...
Old 02-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Pump77
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Go to this web site
http://carboncarsystems.com.au/diy-c...-screen-image/
Follow instructions to a t.

You stated that you had an 8GB usb. It must be formatted FAT32 (This might be your problem as many large, over 4GB, are not FAT32.)
And have nothing on it except two (2) files. The first one is image1.bmp (the bit map image file which must be 16bit R5G6B5 format), and the second one is OpeningCustomize.txt. Note: only R5G6B5 will work no other type of bit map will work as that is all that the Kenwood recognizes at that point. If the image size is not 800x480 pixels results are unpredictable.
If you view the directory of the USB you would see only:
Image1.bmp
OpeningCustomize.txt

The file, OpeningCustomize.txt, contains the following 4 lines of text:
Opening Customize
[FILE]image1.bmp
[VERSION]9876
~END
If you are getting a red screen it means your image bit map format is not as specified above or the usb is not formatted FAT32. I.e., the factory default splash screen is getting changed, but the image on the USB is not being read correctly.

Hope that this helps
Old 02-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Bill Treible
4th Gear

Yes sir- thats the site i been trying to use.. and yes my 8gb is formatted for FAT32 ive checked that numerous times///
and the only files on the flash drive is my image and the openingcustomize.txt file
yes its at R5g6b5
and i renamed the file to image1.bmp

not sure what else it could be????
Old 02-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Pump77
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Don’t know why it’s not working. I will try to take some pics of me doing it on my unit. Email me a copy of the “OpeningCustomize.txt” & a copy of image1.bmp files that you are using and I’ll try them in my unit.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:59 PM
joezr2
Racer

I finally did this last night. First I updated to the latest firmware (October 17') then I did the steps on that carboncarsystems link above. It worked and was very easy.
The odd thing is that at first boot up, the image shows up as 4 small copies of the image across the bottom of the screen for a second, then it fills the whole screen. A little weird, but better than the "Kenwood" screen. When I feel like changing to a different image I'll see if I get the same result.

The firmware update was a piece of cake too. Check the online kenwood support site for details. Just make sure the power to the radio doesn't shut off during the update or you probably just bricked it!
Pump77 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Bill Treible
4th Gear

Originally Posted by joezr2
I finally did this last night. First I updated to the latest firmware (October 17') then I did the steps on that carboncarsystems link above. It worked and was very easy.
The odd thing is that at first boot up, the image shows up as 4 small copies of the image across the bottom of the screen for a second, then it fills the whole screen. A little weird, but better than the "Kenwood" screen. When I feel like changing to a different image I'll see if I get the same result.

The firmware update was a piece of cake too. Check the online kenwood support site for details. Just make sure the power to the radio doesn't shut off during the update or you probably just bricked it!
How would i know if i have the latest firmware on my radio?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Pump77
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Treible
How would i know if i have the latest firmware on my radio?

Last edited by Pump77; 02-25-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 02-26-2018, 09:00 AM
joezr2
Racer

Looks like Pump's got you squared away there. If you have to update it is very easy but you have to make sure the radio doesn't power off during the update.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Hunky57
1st Gear

I just had a DDX6704s installed in my 08. I have made several attempt to change the splash screen all I get is the red screen with NG in the center of it. Anyone else have this issue?

Get notified of new replies

To Customize Start Up Screen on 2017 Kenwood

Old 06-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Pump77
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hunky57
I just had a DDX6704s installed in my 08. I have made several attempt to change the splash screen all I get is the red screen with NG in the center of it. Anyone else have this issue?

The USB containsonly the two files:
Image1.bmp
OpeningCustomize.txt

Note: If your using a PC/Laptop with windows 7, 8, or 10, the default file explorer display is to hide file extensions.
So the directory view of the USB would be:
Image1
OpeningCustomize

Several people made the mistake of naming the files Image1.bmp.bmp and OpeningCustomize.txt.txt

so that upon viewing the USB directory (with Windows default file display configuration, i.e. hidden file extensions) what they saw was:

Image1.bmp
OpeningCustomize.txt

instead of:

Image1
OpeningCustomize

Last edited by Pump77; 06-04-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: corrections/clarifications
Old 08-05-2018, 10:48 PM
Marcus Rainey
2nd Gear

Default DDX9905s

Originally Posted by Pump77
I recently finished installing a Kenwood DNX994S in my 2006 coupe.
Searched a bunch to find out how to customize the Startup (Boot, & sometimes referred to as "flash") screen (not the "Background Screen"). Finally found clear instructions on How To Do It at
https://goo.gl/YVLC6m
If I understood it correctly this works for all the new 2017 units.

As others have posted, the image has to be 800 x 480 pixels, 16bit R5G6B5.
BTY a good free image translator to produce 16bit format is GIMP. Use the "File: Export as" tool, select "Windows bmp" file type and then "advanced "options to specify 16 bit R5G6B5

I used Windows Paint.net to create image, then GIMP to translate to 16 bit.
This is what I changed mine to
Im trying to get this to work on the 9905s. The image loads but it displays distorted for a few seconds then Shows really good for 2-3 seconds.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Marcus Rainey
2nd Gear

Default Instructions for DDX9905s

Instructions for DDX9905s

Since the 9905s is so new, the instructions floating around the net don’t work for it, after 2 days of trial and error I was able to figure this out. The 9905s has a High Def screen, the pixel ratio is better. So in order to get the boot image changed to what you want do as follows:

Using Pixelformer load up your image, change the image properties (set the width at 1280 and height at 720, set the target color to RGB color (24 bpp), click ok, click export, rename image to image1 (make sure it is .bmp format), when the bmp options box pops up set this to R5:G6: B5 (16bpp), click ok.

Now you have the picture formatted correctly and able to be loaded onto usb along with the OpeningCustomize .txt file. Make sure image name matches the image name in the .txt file. Put radio in Standby mode, tap the top left twice, tap the bottom left twice, tap the top left once, tap the bottom left once. This will open the menu needed. Then insert USB stick with files on it. (make sure files are placed in the root of the usb, don’t put them inside folders). Tap startup image and it will add the photo on the usb. Restart radio and there you have it.

Quick Reply: Customize Start Up Screen on 2017 Kenwood