Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speaker Recommendations, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 05:02 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLX
I know it sounds weird, but the 10W6V2 with 500 watts RMS (JL 500/1 amp) wouldn't seem to pressure load the cabin of my C6 the way it did the previous M3 and Mustang LX that it was in. Setup and amp gains were right on, so I chalked it up to cabin design of the C6 and cancellation. The more centrally mounted 15" seems to do what one would expect from a proper subwoofer setup. It now moves hair, pantlegs and the rear view mirror with ease.
could be cabin gain and driver placement. i also had an old 1987 5.0 when i was much younger. car was stupid easy to get bass response in. a pair of infinity 12s would blur your vision and this was a basic 90s era 9mm xmax 150w driver
Old 11-30-2017, 02:48 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
head unit is big

i think you would be happier going alpine or sony. both are a much more balanced sound. pioneer has that forced roll off on the top end and kind of off sounding midbass and muffled midrange. i have heard one through a dsp that improved drastically but am not 100% sure what else was done to that system

the big SQ car audio dealer in my town of portland oregon only uses sony or alpine and actually keeps the other brands around to flip through so people can A+B pioneer, kenwood etc

i liked alpine and sony. agree with the owner, kenwood wasn't bad, better than pioneer. there were very drastic changes in sound and i even was able to tweak the eq and play with the settings to my hearts content
This. In my time as a car audio enthusiast (1985 to present day) I have owned at least a dozen different Alpine head units, one Sony, and one Pioneer (7200). The Sony was a single din cd player circa 1990 and it was cheaper built but by god it sounded pretty good. Every single Alpine head unit I have owned sounded very good to exceptional, not a stinker in the bunch. The one Pioneer I purchased almost a year ago sounded exactly as Racebum has described. I was convinced it couldn't be this high dollar Pioneer and was going to start swapping out other components. I was talked into swapping head units and wow, my speakers came back to life and sounded just like I remembered them sounding with a prior Alpine head unit. Although I do want to upgrade to a better Alpine model soon, what I have right now sounds great. Just what I was after. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I have pretty well trained ears from years of listening to lots of different gear low end to high end and if you have the ability to hear that difference, and you may not even know you have it, The Alpine will sound completely different than the Pioneer. I am not knocking Pioneer, I just don't like the way they sound to me. A lot of guys love them and I get it, they have great specs, great feature set, and look gorgeous in the dash but just didn't do it for me in the SQ department.

Last edited by 02BlownZ06; 11-30-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Speaker Recommendations, need help!