Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 02:45 PM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need help with speakers

03, C5
I’m planning on upgrading HU. My priorities are two camera hook up and navigation.
I don’t have an iPhone, use my phone for phone calls only, don’t know a thing about all of this other stuff you guys talk about on here. I think I’ve read the last 2-3 pages of threads.
I need to know if it makes sense to change speakers when I get the HU or will OEM Bose speakers be OK. I’ve got the door panels off working on replacing door relays so would be a good time.
I wear hearing aids, not sure if I can detect much difference in sound quality however now would probably be a good time to replace the speakers. I did install a total insulation package which cut down on the wind and road noise a lot. But it is a convertible.
Crutchfield doesn’t show many options. Where should I look for replacements if you think it wise to do and any recommendations! Thanks
Old 12-31-2017, 07:05 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Sorry, can't help you but your Avatar looks great!
Old 01-09-2018, 04:52 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

you could go to an audio store and see if you can tell the difference between speakers. only you really know that one

built in nav and a backup camera in a good low cost package would be the alpine w960

avg price $500-550ish on amazon and ebay
Old 01-09-2018, 09:51 PM
Gutch94
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm planning out a HU replacement project for my '06 with Bose. After reading all the pros & cons, I decided to leave the Bose speakers in the car for now. From what I've read, it's a royal pain to replace the 8" woofers -- you need to find a thinner model speaker (smaller magnet?) to fit in the door, and then cut out a flange to mount the speaker on, and then mount that assembly to the door.

With that in mind, I decided to just replace the head unit to see if that provided enough improvement in sound quality to eliminate the need for new speakers.

Btw, I went with the Kenwood DDX9704s for the head unit. Provides connections for front and back cameras, plenty of output power, a 13 band EQ, and capacitive touch display with variable angle adjustment to help combat sun glare. The display features might be something to consider for your vert.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, I’m looking at the Kenwood DNX893Sv. It has two camera hook up but also has the installed navigation I want. I may just get it and see how it so7nds with the Bose speakers.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:30 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Impropercrane
Thanks, I’m looking at the Kenwood DNX893Sv. It has two camera hook up but also has the installed navigation I want. I may just get it and see how it so7nds with the Bose speakers.
another great choice if you don't mind paying a bit more. with the current sale it is in the best buy category right now

it only has one quirk, at least i think it does. all kenwoods i have used stop at vol15 and manually require pressing to go above that. you can't just hold + and get louder

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with speakers

Quick Reply: Need help with speakers