Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Head unit restarting while driving??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:37 AM
lancedolan
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Head unit restarting while driving??

Setup
  • Stock C5 with Bose system
  • Following installed 3 weeks ago:
    • JVC kw m740bt head unit
    • This PAC wire harness
    • This antenna Adapter
    • Power and ground are soldered, but I was new to soldering so it's a clump of solder all in one location on the wire.
    • Other wires use crimp style connecters.
    • All wires WELL shrink wrapped, except one has a tiny bit of exposed copper.
Symptom

This happened today.
  • Drive and listen to music without issues
  • Head Unit restarts arbitrarily
    • It doesn't lose power. No period of blank screen! It goes from on and running to -BOOM- JVC Welcome Screen.
    • Restart is NOT effected by bump in the road. Happens during smooth ride, doesn't happen during pothole.
  • 10 or 20 seconds later it will restart again
  • After several restarts it said "Please park your car in a safe location and turn the ignition OFF and ON again." Doing so restarts the head unit.
It worked perfectly every day except one random restart last week and these issues today.

Cause?

Well, this is where I'm hoping you guys can help!? I'm a COMPLETE novice, but willing to get my hands dirty trying anything.

Here are my ideas....
  • It's overheating normally. No solution. (Outside was ~70° every day since installation, today hit 100°)
  • My Bose speakers provide less Ω ohm resistance than the head units requires, causing it to overheat.
    • No idea how to test or fix.
  • My crappy soldering skills are causing poor draw through power and ground? Redo properly maybe?
  • Check the fuse box for corrosion
  • Head unit draws more power than stock wiring and deliver? Run custom thicker cables up to battery myself?
  • Check the battery terminals for corrosion (DONE - it's clean as brand new)
Do my symptoms scream anything obvious to experienced audiophiles or technicians? Any other ideas for how to troubleshoot?

Last edited by lancedolan; 05-29-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:17 AM
keith568
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lancedolan
Setup
  • Stock C5 with Bose system
  • Following installed 3 weeks ago:
    • JVC kw m740bt head unit
    • This PAC wire harness
    • This antenna Adapter
    • Power and ground are soldered, but I was new to soldering so it's a clump of solder all in one location on the wire.
    • Other wires use crimp style connecters.
    • All wires WELL shrink wrapped, except one has a tiny bit of exposed copper.
Symptom

This happened today.
  • Drive and listen to music without issues
  • Head Unit restarts arbitrarily
    • It doesn't lose power. No period of blank screen! It goes from on and running to -BOOM- JVC Welcome Screen.
    • Restart is NOT effected by bump in the road. Happens during smooth ride, doesn't happen during pothole.
  • 10 or 20 seconds later it will restart again
  • After several restarts it said "Please park your car in a safe location and turn the ignition OFF and ON again." Doing so restarts the head unit.
It worked perfectly every day except one random restart last week and these issues today.

Cause?

Well, this is where I'm hoping you guys can help!? I'm a COMPLETE novice, but willing to get my hands dirty trying anything.

Here are my ideas....
  • It's overheating normally. No solution. (Outside was ~70° every day since installation, today hit 100°)
  • My Bose speakers provide less Ω ohm resistance than the head units requires, causing it to overheat.
    • No idea how to test or fix.
  • My crappy soldering skills are causing poor draw through power and ground? Redo properly maybe?
  • Check the fuse box for corrosion
  • Head unit draws more power than stock wiring and deliver? Run custom thicker cables up to battery myself?
  • Check the battery terminals for corrosion (DONE - it's clean as brand new)
Do my symptoms scream anything obvious to experienced audiophiles or technicians? Any other ideas for how to troubleshoot?
you know whats crazy, I have the same issue with my brand new Kenwood DNX875S that just came out last month! also reboots on an incoming call via Blue Tooth or when I'm connected with my iPhone! Firmware release just came out, I installed but with no success. I may have to return this head unit.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:17 AM
keith568
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keith568
you know whats crazy, I have the same issue with my brand new Kenwood DNX875S that just came out last month! also reboots on an incoming call via Blue Tooth or when I'm connected with my iPhone! Firmware release just came out, I installed but with no success. I may have to return this head unit.
another update. so I replace my 875s that just was released in March with a dnx995s also released this year. SAME PROBLEM! It has to be my iPhone 6s, dealer tested with an iPhone 8 and it worked fine. so kind of weird. Another note, just spoke with Metra the manufacturer of the module to connect my steering wheel feature to radio. Found out that OnStar controls the answer and hang-up feature on steering wheel (at least this si what they are telling me) and they will never work with my interface.? Even if I re-connected my onstar they said I still would not have that feature any longer.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Either a HU malfunction or it a loose wire. Since you're adamant that it's not caused from bumps...likely a bad HU.

Get notified of new replies

To Head unit restarting while driving??

Quick Reply: Head unit restarting while driving??