Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Axxess XSVI-2004: does 'illumination' wire work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 01:54 PM
Walt G
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Axxess XSVI-2004: does 'illumination' wire work?

I searched for this particular problem but didn't find anything.

I have installed the Axxess XSVI-2004 adapter in my 2004 and everything seems to work EXCEPT for the 'illumination/dimmer' control wire. I put the radio into 'auto' mode (which should make it automatically dim when that 'illumination' wire is supplying a 12v signal), but it never dims.

I pulled the console out this past weekend, and the Axxess is not providing 12v at that wire with the lights on or when it's dark. I updated the firmware (from 2.7 to 3.4) and thought for a minute that I had it... when I turned it back on before buttoning everything up I had 12v and the radio was dimmed... my lights were not on, but I was in my dark garage, so I figured maybe that illumination signal is based on the auto-headlight sensor regardless of whether your lights are on or not. So I put it all back together but that night... it didn't dim. And it has not dimmed since.

Before I tear into this again, I was hoping that someone would at least confirm that there is some chance of this output on the Axxess actually working (as in, it works on their car). I called Metra tech support but he said their computer system crashed (weeks ago?) and they basically know nothing anymore.

My radio is blindingly bright at night so I really want this auto dimming feature to work. Going into the settings every time is a pain. But if no one has seen this work from the Axxess, I'll just find a wire somewhere that is hot when the headlights are on and wire to it instead, skipping the Axxess adapter.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 PM
Walt G
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, I'm not sure if anyone has seen this illumination output work or not from the Axxess unit, but I gave up and just wired my radio's 'illumination' (dimmer) wire to the headlight-on signal wire from the stalk switch. If anyone ever searches for this and wants to do the same, it's a white wire in the big connector under the steering column. There are two white wires in that connector... this is the white wire that is NOT in the corner of the connector.

It's working fine now... radio screen dims when my headlights are on. That wire will go to 12volts if the headlights are turned on with the stalk switch or if they turn on automatically using the 'twilight sentinel' setting.

Last edited by Walt G; 09-21-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Axxess XSVI-2004: does 'illumination' wire work?