Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remove Subwoofer "Boom"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 09:03 AM
MrHix
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Remove Subwoofer "Boom"?

Hi,

Is there any way to remove the very low frequency "boom" from the stock subwoofer and keep the smooth lows? Adjusting the Bass seems to remove the entire low frequency spectrum.

Thanks,

MrHix
Old 12-31-2018, 09:05 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

It depends on what kind of stereo you have.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:10 AM
MrHix
Instructor

All stock.

MrHix
Old 12-31-2018, 09:20 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry, can't help you much there, that was the first thing I pulled out when I got my Vette, I installed a Pioneer system in mine, much better sounding and adjustability.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:27 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Sounds like a Bose system.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:41 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DWillys
Sounds like a Bose system.
I still have the Bose in mine and the Pioneer really brings out the sound with them, plus (like I mentioned) you have much more adjustability over the different frequency levels to where you can adjust them to just the way you like.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:53 PM
MrHix
Instructor

Sorry,

It is a 2019 GS, 2LT.

Thanks folks.

MrHix
Old 01-01-2019, 11:05 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

For a 2019 there's little you can do without spending some $s. The Bose system is designed to work with the speakers/electronics that came with your C7. You can try some adjustments (there are several posts on the forum) that may get you to where you're happy. If not, a subwoofer may help though that really doesn't solve the boomy bass/muddled mids/screechy highs that are part of the Bose system (my personal opinion, may not apply to you). Going beyond a subwoofer gets to be complicated and expensive. This post explains a little: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6&postcount=18
Old 01-10-2019, 08:56 AM
MrHix
Instructor

For all you audio engineers out there: Can I get rid of the "boominess" (new word for MWD?)/"thumping" by modifying the subwoofer box? Would closing off the port or making more holes in the enclosure keep most of the normal bass sound?

MrHix
Old 01-29-2019, 03:59 PM
Coyote58
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure. You can stuff the port with a towel or sock and see if that improves the sound. If it does and you are ok with sealed, leave the port plugged and line most of the interior of the box with something like Sonic Barrier from Parts express. Then use polyfill to lightly stuff the enclosure. Nothing wrong with a sealed subwoofer. I would much rather have a sealed box than a mis matched driver in a ported box. If you want to try to keep the port open, again line the box with sonic barrier, then try some folded up batting or a towel that is folded and placed inside the box behind the subwoofer driver. You can then experiment with your equalizer tuning to see if the boominess gets better or goes away. Good luck with it.
The following users liked this post:
MrHix (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 04:08 PM
MrHix
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coyote58
Sure. You can stuff the port with a towel or sock and see if that improves the sound. If it does and you are ok with sealed, leave the port plugged and line most of the interior of the box with something like Sonic Barrier from Parts express. Then use polyfill to lightly stuff the enclosure. Nothing wrong with a sealed subwoofer. I would much rather have a sealed box than a mis matched driver in a ported box. If you want to try to keep the port open, again line the box with sonic barrier, then try some folded up batting or a towel that is folded and placed inside the box behind the subwoofer driver. You can then experiment with your equalizer tuning to see if the boominess gets better or goes away. Good luck with it.
Thanks for the info!

MrHix

Get notified of new replies

To Remove Subwoofer "Boom"?

Quick Reply: Remove Subwoofer "Boom"?