Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

VetteNuts custom C5 waterfall sub box

 
Old 05-18-2019, 10:47 PM
  #1  
IJCOBRA
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Posts: 52
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default VetteNuts custom C5 waterfall sub box

I needed subs in my C5 Vert, but I learned with my previous Mustang convertibles that it is hard to get decent bass in a convertible. I didn't want to put them in the trunk and have them blocked by the top when it is down.

I found that JL Audio makes a Stealthbox for the C6 that puts the subs behind the seats in the "waterfall". I called them and they couldn't confirm if it would fit the C5.
JL Audio SB-GM-C6CONV/8W3v3

So I called Mark at VetteNuts and commissioned him to make a version for the C5. They happened to have a C5 Vert in their shop, so they used that to fab it up. A couple months later and this is what I have:






Obviously, the top goes in and out without any issues. I'm pretty happy with it. The subs are only 8" sealed so it's not mind blowing but definitely adds more bass than the door speakers (JL C5-650 components). Remote bass **** is a must.

It ended up costing about as much as 2 of the VetteNuts trunk corner sub boxes, which is what I probably would have gotten if I didn't get this.
IJCOBRA is offline  
The following users liked this post:
jrprich (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 03:47 PM
  #2  
jdagsxr
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Looks good but you still don't have the bass you would if you'd of kept it in the doors. I have 8 inch Deaf Bonce w-80s in my door and they hit pretty hard for door speakers. Way better then 6.5 component speakers. I also have Infinity Kappa mids and DD tweets in my doors. I went with JL Audio 5.25 C2's behind the seats. Sounds amazing and looks stock.
jdagsxr is offline  
Old 05-19-2019, 06:07 PM
  #3  
IJCOBRA
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Posts: 52
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdagsxr View Post
Looks good but you still don't have the bass you would if you'd of kept it in the doors. I have 8 inch Deaf Bonce w-80s in my door and they hit pretty hard for door speakers. Way better then 6.5 component speakers. I also have Infinity Kappa mids and DD tweets in my doors. I went with JL Audio 5.25 C2's behind the seats. Sounds amazing and looks stock.
My 6.5 components in the door seem quite bass heavy; way more than in any other vehicle Ive had them in. I suspect it is due to all the airspace in the doors.

I considered Illusion Audio 8 components and several 6x9 sets. Im still considering them. But these are fine for now. I literally have a hard time toning down the bass from the doors.
IJCOBRA is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 09:50 AM
  #4  
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member
 
Pb82 Ronin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Out back
Posts: 2,787
Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts
Default

Looks good OP.

Just my opinion, but I don't agree putting subs in the doors of a corvette UNLESS you're able to reinforce the metal in the door. Any legit performing sub will vibrate the sheet metal to hell and back. Even a bass heavy 6.5 can cause the adapters/sheet metal to flex and move. And it sounds like a dreadful racket when it does.

IJ, do you have any tuning or EQ ability for individual speakers? Do you know what your speaker crossovers are set to? It sounds like you may have full signal going to them which means they're playing too deep. I like rolling my sub off pretty sharply at 100 Hz and having the mids pick up roughly at 80ish Hz. You don't want the woofers and subs playing the same frequencies as you'll hear the "bass heavy" scenario you're dealing with.
Pb82 Ronin is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 11:43 AM
  #5  
IJCOBRA
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Posts: 52
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin View Post
Looks good OP.

Just my opinion, but I don't agree putting subs in the doors of a corvette UNLESS you're able to reinforce the metal in the door. Any legit performing sub will vibrate the sheet metal to hell and back. Even a bass heavy 6.5 can cause the adapters/sheet metal to flex and move. And it sounds like a dreadful racket when it does.

IJ, do you have any tuning or EQ ability for individual speakers? Do you know what your speaker crossovers are set to? It sounds like you may have full signal going to them which means they're playing too deep. I like rolling my sub off pretty sharply at 100 Hz and having the mids pick up roughly at 80ish Hz. You don't want the woofers and subs playing the same frequencies as you'll hear the "bass heavy" scenario you're dealing with.
Fronts are high passed 80hz 24db/octave. Subs are low passed same specs. I've adjusted the frequency and slope all over and the doors are just bass heavy. Some resonate frequency or something I suspect from such a large volume of air behind the doors.
IJCOBRA is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 12:32 PM
  #6  
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member
 
Pb82 Ronin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Out back
Posts: 2,787
Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts
Default

Try bumping the high pass to 100hz and have the subs meet that on the low pass...see if that helps or hurts sound.
Pb82 Ronin is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 04:21 PM
  #7  
IJCOBRA
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Posts: 52
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin View Post
Try bumping the high pass to 100hz and have the subs meet that on the low pass...see if that helps or hurts sound.
It just gives me more vocals out of the subs. They are right behind my head. Probably wouldnt hear it if they were in the trunk.
IJCOBRA is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:07 PM
  #8  
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member
 
Pb82 Ronin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Out back
Posts: 2,787
Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts
Default

True...the other thing you can do is shallow your roll-offs from the woofers at 100hz...or turn your gain down.
Pb82 Ronin is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 11:18 AM
  #9  
mikebrooks
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If you have an equalizer, what is it lower frequency settings (20,31,40,60,80)? If any of those settings are set to +6db or more than the average overall curve, your crossover may still send some bass to the door speakers depending on crossover slope which I see is at 24db octave. You may consider reducing your 40-60 frequencies on the eq by 2db & that may make a noticeable difference in the amount of bass that is being sent to the door speakers. Good to see some sound guys in this thread. I am passionate about it & have been heavily involved in the industry for the last 32 years. Good luck.
mikebrooks is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 04:52 PM
  #10  
IJCOBRA
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Posts: 52
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikebrooks View Post
If you have an equalizer, what is it lower frequency settings (20,31,40,60,80)? If any of those settings are set to +6db or more than the average overall curve, your crossover may still send some bass to the door speakers depending on crossover slope which I see is at 24db octave. You may consider reducing your 40-60 frequencies on the eq by 2db & that may make a noticeable difference in the amount of bass that is being sent to the door speakers. Good to see some sound guys in this thread. I am passionate about it & have been heavily involved in the industry for the last 32 years. Good luck.
I run flat EQ settings. Im crossing over at 100 HZ now and it seems better.

I replaced the JL 8W3V3 subs with Pioneer shallow mount 8s. They are made for smaller boxes and it sounds more linear now.

It really is just no contest tho. My Jeep SRT-8 has 4 old tank-like Slash amps, 0 gauge wires, big 3, 10 farad cap, 2000+ watts RMS, 11 channels, Logic7 surround sound processor, 14 speakers including a center channel (all speakers except rears are actively crossed over), fiberglass a-pillars, center channel pod and reinforced door panels with 8 midbasses, 3 bass control ***** (bass, mid bass, Epicenter), and 13.5 subs in a giant ported box. It sounds pretty good.
IJCOBRA is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 05:52 PM
  #11  
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member
 
Pb82 Ronin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Out back
Posts: 2,787
Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by IJCOBRA View Post
I run flat EQ settings. Im crossing over at 100 HZ now and it seems better.

I replaced the JL 8W3V3 subs with Pioneer shallow mount 8s. They are made for smaller boxes and it sounds more linear now.

It really is just no contest tho. My Jeep SRT-8 has 4 old tank-like Slash amps, 0 gauge wires, big 3, 10 farad cap, 2000+ watts RMS, 11 channels, Logic7 surround sound processor, 14 speakers including a center channel (all speakers except rears are actively crossed over), fiberglass a-pillars, center channel pod and reinforced door panels with 8 midbasses, 3 bass control ***** (bass, mid bass, Epicenter), and 13.5 subs in a giant ported box. It sounds pretty good.
Umm...ya think? You're audio spoiled like me. Took me over 15 grand to get my ZO6 to sound better than my truck that runs 1 amp and everything passive.
Pb82 Ronin is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VetteNuts custom C5 waterfall sub box


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: