Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Even Exoto is hurting these days

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 AM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Even Exoto is hurting these days

Exoto is having a second 50% off sale this year I guess the economic hard times are hitting them also.

use this CODE: HOT-50-08 on your purchase to get 50% off

Last edited by 69mako; 07-11-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:46 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

website will get pounded again im sure to the point of stoppage.

Im waiting for carlisle to cruise the tables there for some toys
Old 07-11-2008, 08:54 AM
0Z06Joe@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by EVIL_C5
website will get pounded again im sure to the point of stoppage.

Im waiting for carlisle to cruise the tables there for some toys
Carlisle FTW............
Old 07-12-2008, 09:03 AM
124parkdrive
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69mako
Exoto is having a second 50% off sale this year I guess the economic hard times are hitting them also.

use this CODE: HOT-50-08 on your purchase to get 50% off
Exoto has been their own worst enemy for many years with the owner causing more of his troubles than anything else. Their customer service practices but them at the bottom of the barrel.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Any vettes besides the one?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:34 PM
SMJBA
Burning Brakes

Code:
Exoto has been their own worst enemy for many years with the owner causing more of his troubles than anything else. Their customer service practices but them at the bottom of the barrel
Within the limitation of being in public domain could you please expand on this ... Thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 124parkdrive
Exoto has been their own worst enemy for many years with the owner causing more of his troubles than anything else. Their customer service practices but them at the bottom of the barrel.
when I bought a Mercedes C-9 and parts were off it they would even take the time to tell me where they went properly. Luck me a forum memeber took his time to show me where the went in photos.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SMJBA
Code:
Exoto has been their own worst enemy for many years with the owner causing more of his troubles than anything else. Their customer service practices but them at the bottom of the barrel
Within the limitation of being in public domain could you please expand on this ... Thanks
You would need to do a search about Exoto and then key in on the owner. He is one piece of work.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:38 PM
SMJBA
Burning Brakes

I will...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by SMJBA
Code:

Well, even though this isn't Corvette die cast related, let me give you my $0.02 worth about Exoto.....

I'm a BIG Chaparral fan, ever since my younger days of going to Watkins Glen, and seeing them in person in the mid 60s. As many of you know, Exoto hooked up with Chaparral Cars, and licensed the rights to produce the complete line of racing Chaparrals in 1/18 scale.

I was very excited, as I had previously purchased an Exoto "Mecom Racing" Corvette GS, so I was familiar with their quality and detail. The first Chaparrals to come out were the 2B-2C cars of '65-66. I immediately purchased one, but just one, as A) for die casts, they're pricey; and B) the details between the '65 and '66 cars are minor, so having just one is good enough.

Exoto then announced their upcoming 2E winged cars. At this point, Exoto still wasn't selling directly to collectors, so I put in a "pre-order" (at $189) for one through a die cast dealer in Chicago. 1.5-2 YEARS later, I get an e-mail from the dealer saying that they're no longer handling Exoto...too many delays and customer complaints. "What about my "pre-order" status", I ask. "Sorry", they say....

By now, Exoto is selling directly, so I call them, and explain that the store in Chicago cancelled my "pre-order", and ask if there something they can do. "Sure", they say, "We'll get you back on the "pre-order" list, but it will now be $239"......

Another year goes by, no 2E as promised....HOWEVER, they have the 2E "gift set" finally in stock, where you get a complete 2E car, as well as an additional "rolling chassis".....for $349. OK, I'm hooked, I know, as I really want a Chaparral set. So I cancel my order for just the 2E, and purchase the gift set, since Exoto's sales rep says she has NO IDEA when the single 2Es are coming in. About 5 weeks later, I get an e-mail announcing the arrival of the single 2E cars!! Thanks a lot!!

Just prior to that, Exoto announced the 2F coupes. They naturally show the "prototype" cars, without numbers and sponsor decals, and the cars with "racing livery" due sometime in the future. I simply ordered a prototype, and got the "livery" decals from an Australian hobby supplier.

All the while Exoto is introducing the the 2F cars, they announce the 2D coupes, one of my favorites. Naturally, I put in a pre-order for one. Now, GET THIS....... That was 4 YEARS ago!! They still haven't released it, but have already put in a price increase on it. I'm just waiting for the fireworks to start on that deal, cause I have my 4 year old paperwork in hand, AT THE ORIGINAL PRICE, and I'll be on the phone to the California Attorney General and/or the Federal Trade Commission if they try to jack the price on my order.....That's assuming they EVER get it on the market!

Recently, however, as 69 Mako pointed out, they're running 50% off sales on just about everything in stock. Yes, I fully well realize that A) whenever you buy something, you take a chance it might go "on sale" in the future; and B) die cast cars aren't an essential for life. They're one of those "luxury items" that we automotive guys like to indulge in. However, I personally think that what Exoto is doing is very insulting to their customers. I seem to recall that their original hype, a few years back, was that certain runs of their models were a limited production item, and were projected to be a run of 2500-5000 units world wide. Now, they've suddenly have all this "excess inventory" on hand, and it's going out the door at "fire sale" prices.

SMJBA, does that answer you question...within the limitation of public domain, of course!!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They have one on sale now for 50% off winged coupe.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:07 PM
SMJBA
Burning Brakes

It sure does...thank you for taking the time to write this post...I understand why it is easy to get dealing with them now.

I have 7 Exoto and 8 Motorbox (all Corvette) but they all came from e-bay or Scale18 which for the latest is a 100% sure trouble free dealer.

On the same vein I (guess like many other here I am on the AA 63 Coupe and Vert pre order list for what...2.5 years now...So I can somewhat relate.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:17 AM
silverbird
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

A four year wait!!!!
I recently put in a pre-order for the Foyt/Gurney 1967 GT40 Le Mans winner.
Looks like I'm in for a looooong wait myself
Silverbird
Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

This has got me thinking...Is there any way possible that this ENTIRE thread could be copied, pasted, and sent to Exoto? I'm not too computer savvy, otherwise I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
This has got me thinking...Is there any way possible that this ENTIRE thread could be copied, pasted, and sent to Exoto? I'm not too computer savvy, otherwise I'd do it in a heartbeat.
just send them the link at the top un the URL bar. they dont need to be a member to read the posts.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:08 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EVIL_C5
just send them the link at the top un the URL bar. they dont need to be a member to read the posts.

I did it the day before yesterday.

And they immediately responded....NOT!

Get notified of new replies

To Even Exoto is hurting these days