Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Latest Exoto Sale - Motorbox Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Latest Exoto Sale - Motorbox Corvettes

Well, seems our friends at Exoto are still at it. Trying to sell something, anything...

I know the Motorbox series of '67 Corvettes have been widely criticized on this forum for lack of accuracy and I take no issues with that. However they just put them on sale for less than $50 and perhaps they might be a great buy at that price. A lot of 1:43 diecasts sell for more than that.

Just thought I'd mention it. Here's the link

http://www.exototifosi.com/s/2/Produ...0&showAll=true
Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,364 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Does anybody know if they're actually releasing anything new, or are they just clearing out whatever inventory they have, in preparation for closing up shop?

I know that I'm always whining about it, but I really wanted the Chaparral 2D, both to complete my Chaparral collection, as well as my 70s CanAm collection. I ordered it over 5 years ago, haven't gotten it yet, of course, but their site is still taking "pre-orders" for various models.

FWIW, I recently recieved a new, 2010 catalog from Replicarz, a major east coast die cast/slot car retailer, and they have dropped Exoto from their line up.....
Old 01-25-2010, 05:30 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Does anybody know if they're actually releasing anything new, or are they just clearing out whatever inventory they have, in preparation for closing up shop?

I know that I'm always whining about it, but I really wanted the Chaparral 2D, both to complete my Chaparral collection, as well as my 70s CanAm collection. I ordered it over 5 years ago, haven't gotten it yet, of course, but their site is still taking "pre-orders" for various models.

FWIW, I recently recieved a new, 2010 catalog from Replicarz, a major east coast die cast/slot car retailer, and they have dropped Exoto from their line up.....
Lon, I don't know what to tell you. These guys have been around for years, as you know, and I've never been able to figure out if they have a business plan, a strategy, or just a lot of personal wealth. They tend to do some really odd things IMO.

They produce some amazing models, perhaps as good or better than anything available on the commercial market. Prices are not unreasonable for what they produce.

Why they ever thought we all needed a "Presidential Commemorative Hummer" I'll never know and it appears they still have some for sale. Even the Sauber-Mercedes LeMans cars never really appealed to me and, apparently, to a lot of other people. How long have these things been around? 10 years or more?

Then, as you point out, they put out this pre-order list of some models I can't resist. The Chaparral 2D being just one. The Brands Hatch car is a must for my own collection. The Brabham BT44 is another. Then, they come up with the Ford 999 Barney Oldfield race car. I don't even remember that one being on any future release or "coming soon" listing. It's a stunning model to be sure, but they must have difficulty selling it as they keep putting it on sale. At one price or another.

Speaking of that, their sales are beoming more and more frequent. Now those of us wanting to pick up an Exoto die-cast for our collection can't help but appreciate that opportunity, but then one sale offers a certain model for, say $99, and the two weeks later the same model is offered for $200+. Still a sale item.

I especially "enjoy" their big sales where they offer something like 50% off, but then mark the original MSRP up to far more than it used to sell for when first offerred so one can actually buy the item for about 75% of what it sold for originally.

Then there's the bundles and the other weird offers.

To the point. I really don't know if these characters are going out of business or not. I received the Replicarz catalog too but don't recall any actual mention of them no longer carrying Exoto models. Wouldn't surprise me though. I mean how would you like to be a retailer, buy a big lot of Exoto models at wholesale -say 40% off - and then have your supplier turn around and offer the same items to the general public at 50% off? I would dump them as a supplier for that reason alone, regardless if they were going out of business or not.

I have to admit, based on their rapid-fire sales notices recently that they must be in some sort of trouble and need to unload inventory. The fact they are still offering 10-year old items tells me their product planner (if they have one) should have been fired a long time ago.

They may continue, they may not. I have no insight into their plans. I would however, recommend to anyone considering ordering an Exoto model to make sure it's something they have in stock. Sorry to have to make this recommendation because I want a Chaparral 2D as well as the Brabham.

And now that I think about it, whatever happened to their announced release of the Ferrari GTO?

I love their models, but now that everything seems to be on sale - at one price or another - will be careful with my purchases.

Let me know if you hear anything further, Lon, on your 2D. I think the last catalog I recved from them showed a finished model - probably a prototype, but still a model.

Phil

Last edited by last901; 01-25-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Phil,
Somehow or other, I missed your well thought out reply to my post. I think I was having trouble with the "search my posts" function for a couple of days, and it slipped by, as I usually click on the "last 3 days" option...

Anyway, here's what happened to me with the Chaparral collection. I ordered one of the 2B or 2C cars first, and was very pleased with it. However, Exoto didn't release their models "in order" of the real cars, and IIRC, they jumped to the 2E in release, while the 2D was still a pre-order. So technically, I had both a 2D and 2E on "pre-order" status at the same time. I originally tried to order the 2E as a "single car" as opposed to car and rolling chassis set, and again, IIRC, I had the 2E ordered through Replicarz, and the 2D on pre-order through Legacy Die cast. (this is back around late 2004, early 2005)

Replicarz cancelled my pre-order on the 2E, and when I asked why, they said that because Exoto was going to a "direct marketing" mode, as witnessed by the influx of models on E-Bay, listed by a "store" in Moorpark, CA. So, I contacted Exoto directly, and ordered a 2E. Shortly thereafter, Legacy Diecast contacted me, and said they were cancelling my 2D order because they were ceasing relations with Exoto due to "customer issues and other problems". I pre-ordered a 2D form Exoto directly...

Time goes by, the 2E "sets" are released, but no single 2E, like I ordered. Yes, the "sets" are nice, but I didn't want to spend over $300 for the package deal, however a couple of months go by, no single 2Es are available, but Exoto has a "sale" on the set. So, figuring that something will definitely screw up the deal, I call Exoto and buy the "set" at the discounted (but still more that the single car) price. Two months later, they release the single 2Es.....

More time goes by, still no 2D, but the 2F suddenly appears. As usual, the "works" car, with no numbers or sponsor decals, becomes available first. Time goes by, no numbered cars arrive, so I decide "the hell with it", and order a plain car, figuring there might be a fiasco similar to the 2D. Several months later, the numbered cars arrive. I stumbled on a slot car/hobby supplier in Australia that has all kinds of racing sports car number and sponsor decal sheets, including Chaparral, figuring I could apply the numbers myself, but never followed up on it....

I contacted Exoto a couple of times, via e-mail, inquring about my 2D order, and they say. "Don't worry, you'll receive it, and you'll be impressed by our furious detail". Well, as I said, it's been 5 years and I'm still waiting. As you point out, their marketing/sales people should be fired.

I'm rather curious what happened to the orders of 2E sets that they were partnering through Car&Driver and Road&Track magazines, a number of years ago.......
Old 02-09-2010, 10:01 PM
7Vette
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish they had the green '67 Vette street machine for that price. I need the engine out of one!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 7Vette
I wish they had the green '67 Vette street machine for that price. I need the engine out of one!
If you're simply going to use the engine, what difference does it make what color the body is? Must be something I don't understand. (not unusual in itself)
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by last901
.... Must be something I don't understand. (not unusual in itself)

BTW, I was thinking the same thing, about the green car deal.....

Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 AM
7Vette
Drifting

If you're simply going to use the engine, what difference does it make what color the body is? Must be something I don't understand. (not unusual in itself)
Because the green street machine version is the only one with a blower sticking out of the hood, and that's the engine I need for a mod project.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:08 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Here's to reviving an old thread......

I was looking for some instructions I had printed out, on how to remove algae formations from my house's roof, and also found my 5 year old "pre-order" for a Chaparral 2D. Just for grins, while watching the race from Charlotte, I decided to Google "Exoto Chaparral 2D" This is what I stumbled upon:

#366222 Notice: Chaparral Cars, Inc. vs Exoto, Inc.
Posted by DelF1 on Friday Apr 02, 2010 at 06:07PM
For all you people out their who have been waiting years to see the 2D and the 2J. I feel it vital on informing you that Chaparral Cars has won a judgment against Exoto. This judgment has not been finalized at this moment. Chaparral cars filed a "Plantiff's Original Petition" on Jan 13. The petition basically says that Exoto has not paid royalties to Chaparral cars. By the way, this is public record, and the only thing I can tell you is the Cause number which is CV47225. I am not sure how you would be able to see the Petition unless you contact the District Clerk in Midland Texas.

On the 26th of Feb. a "Final Judgment" was passed which means that the Judge ordered Exoto to pay the sum of $600,000 for the value of the royalty interest owed Chaparral Cars. Not to mention $1.8 million in exemplary damages. Again this is public record. Same Cause# CV47225 under the District Court of 385th Judicial District of Midland County, Texas. I believe that Exoto will file an appeal on this Judgment, so will see what happens.

I felt this was important to inform the diecast community of the situation. It is my understanding that Exoto is continuing to go ahead with Chaparral car productions when ever that may occur. I noticed on this forum last Wednesday that a picture was posted of a box of the Chaparral 2D on Facebook, which means absolutely nothing to me. When I have the product in my hands, then I'll believe it. I would assume this would raise big questions to those of you who did preorders on the 2D, and have already paid for the preorder of the 2J. You would have to ask Exoto what their going do, but don't expect a an answer.

Very interesting, to say the least......

(It was on a site 1/18th.com, Kevin's Hobbies)
Old 05-30-2010, 07:18 PM
7Vette
Drifting

It's unfortunate that Exoto, who makes some of the finest diecast cars out there, can operate in such a half-a**ed manner. They've been that way as long as I can remember. The lemmings who continue to pre-order and buy from them obviously like being mistreated. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

It's unfortunate that Exoto, who makes some of the finest diecast cars out there, can operate in such a half-a**ed manner. They've been that way as long as I can remember. The lemmings who continue to pre-order and buy from them obviously like being mistreated. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
I don't think that "obviously like being mistreated" as you say, is quite correct. For a while, quite a bit of the diecast industry was going in the "limited edition" mode of business. If, for example, a vendor was truly going to make only 5000 units of a particular model, for worldwide consumption, that was a pretty small number. Many people, myself included, "pre-ordered" one of the cars so we could get our hands on something we truly wanted. (In the "real" world, think of the COPO Camaros, 455SD Firebirds, ZL-1 Corvettes, Talladega Torinos, etc.....They were rare, if you didn't step up quickly and place an order, you were lost....)

The problem, it appears, is that Exoto stuck their necks out and made a bad business decision. This, in turn, will probably leave a bad taste in the mouths of many diecast collectors. It has for me, and especially since the economy has gone soft, stopped me from purchasing any other diecast cars.

I also noticed that Exoto hasn't released the McLaren Can-Am cars that they were proposing....maybe they forgot the licensing fees for them too!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:02 PM
7Vette
Drifting

My point is that Exoto has been like that since the 90's, announcing cars that either take years to produce, or are never produced yet remain on their site and in their catalogs. It's been a common theme on diecast forums and at shows for years as well, yet people keep acting surprised when they pre-order a car and never see it produced. That's how Exoto stays in business, promises of cars that either take years from announcement to release, or cars that are simply never released. It's the carrot on the end of the stick that keeps them going.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:43 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been, ah, fascinated, at Exoto's apparent marketing strategy for years. Frankly I'm not sure they ever had one. They do build some truly amazing models though and I am very pleased with everyone I've been able to afford.

I am not surprised over the litigation with Chapparal Cars. I've wondered how they've managed to produce many of the models they have. In addition to the Chapparal 2D, they have also promised a Ferrari GTO which I doubt we'll ever see and I believe the McLarens have been promised even before any of the Chapparals were produced.

Their frequent sales over the last year or so have led me to suspect they are about to cease operations, yet I just received news that the Alfa Romeo 159 "is here", though photos show only a pre-production and incomplete example.

These characters are really scary and I'm pleased that the word is getting out to be cautious of pre-orders.

BTW, I see that Carousel 1 seems to have ceased production and 1320 INC appears to have merged with another outfit, making those wonderful 1/24 front-engined dragsters and early funny cars even greater collectibles, especially while prices are low.

I don't know if we're seeing the decline of some of these die-cast manufacturers because of the economy or the vast variety being offered to a limited market.

Will be interesting to watch.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:54 PM
7Vette
Drifting

BTW, I see that Carousel 1 seems to have ceased production and 1320 INC appears to have merged with another outfit, making those wonderful 1/24 front-engined dragsters and early funny cars even greater collectibles, especially while prices are low.

I don't know if we're seeing the decline of some of these die-cast manufacturers because of the economy or the vast variety being offered to a limited market.

Will be interesting to watch.
Carousel 1 started blowing out their diecast a few months ago, including their Vette coupes, for something like $60 each. Last I knew they were looking for a buyer for their company in the hopes of getting back in business.

The decline started a few years ago, it's just been hurried along by the bad world economy. For the most part, I believe the diecast hobby has seen it's "heyday" and will only be supported in the future by diehard collectors. The majority of diecast cars made represent "old" cars, meaning muscle cars, classics, older racing cars, etc. Those have a lot of sentimental value to older people, but they're just not interesting to the younger crowd who want tuners and other toyish cars. I guess we should just enjoy the hobby and take it for what it is(was). In 50 years, none of it will matter anyway!
Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

My point is that Exoto has been like that since the 90's, announcing cars that either take years to produce, or are never produced yet remain on their site and in their catalogs. It's been a common theme on diecast forums and at shows for years as well, yet people keep acting surprised when they pre-order a car and never see it produced. That's how Exoto stays in business, promises of cars that either take years from announcement to release, or cars that are simply never released. It's the carrot on the end of the stick that keeps them going.

Not to be dragging this discussion out, but I would understand your line of logic if Exoto was demanding a deposit along with a pre-order. But, they're not, so the only thing I'm out is some disappointment, due to their failure to deliver....
Old 05-31-2010, 06:07 PM
7Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Not to be dragging this discussion out, but I would understand your line of logic if Exoto was demanding a deposit along with a pre-order. But, they're not, so the only thing I'm out is some disappointment, due to their failure to deliver....
The money aspect of it is irrelevant. Exoto is the diecast hobby's version of snake oil salesman. They throw a bunch of promises out there, follow through once in a great while, but for the most part they rely on people blindly returning for another round of disappointment. I've got to give them some credit, very few businesses can "fail to deliver" so often and still hang around.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL, carrot on the stick. How true

Get notified of new replies

To Latest Exoto Sale - Motorbox Corvettes

Quick Reply: Latest Exoto Sale - Motorbox Corvettes