Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Maisto C7 repaint

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:51 AM
2000 Vette Guy
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Maisto C7 repaint

I just purchased a Maisto diecast of a C7 coupe. I am planning to repaint the model to Shark Grey to match the C7 I just purchased. Does anyone have any secrets or mistakes they can share before I start. I would only like to do this one time without any problems. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:27 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Diecast Repaint

Just a few pointers:

Pay close attention to your disassembly sequence and how parts fit together. Separate and wrap parts that could be damaged as you remove them.

Many of the parts like the windshield and hatch glass snap into place using long and short tabs. Remove gently without using sharp tools at the short tab ends of these parts.

Remove items like spoilers and mirrors for a more professional job.

You will need a Dremel tool to grind off the metal material that stakes some parts in place, like the headlights.

Strip off or rough up the original paint to give your new paint a good surface to bite onto. I bead blasted my Maisto Corvette body to achieve a good base for new paint. Degrease and prep the body to remove dust and oils just as you would on a full-size car.

I made a wire support from a coat hanger and attached it to the body to chassis mounting studs/screws as a support to turn the body while painting the underside of the hood, undersides of the doors, etc.

If you use standard automotive touch-up spray, you will also need to apply clear over the color coat.

Most of all, be patient. Not all of this effort can be expected to be completed and produce good results in just a couple of hours. Good luck.

Last edited by snomuncher; 06-16-2017 at 06:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2000 Vette Guy (06-16-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 08:11 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I repainted a 1/16 scale die cast and a 1/64 scale die cast, in
Daytona Sunrise Orange.
Take your time!

Old 06-17-2017, 10:43 AM
nhisfan
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

Sno has some excellent pointers, not much I can add to that...
Here's the 1/24 Maisto 'dash buddy' I made for my DSOM '16.
Come on Maisto, where are the 1/18 C7 convertibles???

geo

Get notified of new replies

To Maisto C7 repaint

Quick Reply: Maisto C7 repaint