Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

1/18

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:48 AM
georgehafe
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In 1, 2, 6, 8 Veteran

Default 1/18

Is it just me or have Corvette 1/18 scale prices gone through the roof. I am looking at Racing corvettes and they are all $150+
Old 04-17-2018, 01:07 AM
one18Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by georgehafe
Is it just me or have Corvette 1/18 scale prices gone through the roof. I am looking at Racing corvettes and they are all $150+
I used to collect 1/18 scale diecasts. I left the hobby years ago. I sold my collection except for a few. When the C7 came out a few years back I thought I'd pick one up. Then I saw the price of them. I won't pay that much for a down market product. And certainly the higher end models are just too expensive. I can't believe how ridiculously priced they have become.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 AM
mountie55
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea.... I've seen 1/18th collecting, 2 different ways.... Mostly like hoarding! (Ha)..... But if they see something cool.... it's a hobby.
I can bet if the size of die-casts were , like 3 feet in size, they wouldn't collect as many!

On the other hand, I was involved in motor racing and I became friends with racers. So, when I saw a die-cast of a car they drove or built, ..I would buy it and bring it to them to sign. They really enjoyed it!! On one occasion I bought 2, and gave it to them. I bought the Exoto Daytona Coupe #5.
I brought it to Dan Gurney's shop. He loved the new die-cast. He signed it. I also found a couple Hot Wheels AAR 'Cuda Trans Am. I showed it to Dan and He didn't know it existed! He signed mine & the other was a gift to him. Later I got my friend Bob Bondurant to also sign the Daytona Coupe, since they both drove it.

I have a couple Exoto Grand Sports driven by my friend Dick Guldstrand, that he signed. ( He passed away in 2015).... I worked for him for a while...

Anyway, some die-casts are valuable when you have a personal attachment to them. Sometimes buyers will pay a lot, if they also feel that way.
Especially when they are signed by the driver!! I have a few signed.... But I think it is time for someone else should have them.
( My office shelves are limited)....
Attached Images   

Last edited by mountie55; 04-17-2018 at 09:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
georgehafe (04-20-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:03 PM
one18Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Yeah I pretty much hoarded for a time. I had over 500 cars at one point. Eventually I became a more focused collector until I left the hobby altogether. It became way too expensive. I haven't bought a car in almost ten years. I would still like to get a C7/C7R at some point. Another problem I have though is I will want them in different colors and race liveries. Nice cars, btw.

Last edited by one18Vette; 04-17-2018 at 04:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by one18Vette:
georgehafe (04-20-2018), mountie55 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:34 PM
mountie55
Advanced

one18Vette.... Yea... pricey.... The #5 Cobra Daytona is retired & valued at about $1,400.....Triple- Signature Edition w/ Shelby, Gurney & Bondurant (retired) is a whopping $6,000 !!
( The late)Gurney & Bondurant are friends of mine.... ( I hung out with Bondurant & Driving school for about 7 years in Sonoma).... Lord knows what a "value" my #5 could be.... with their signatures?
Guldstrand was a WONDERFUL guy!! Great race stories!! FUNNY as hell!!
That #10 Sunoco is priceless. ( But I also had Dick sign the Exoto Prototype Grand Sport back in '99, when we moved his Jefferson Blvd. shop to Burbank)

( I am inspired to show better pics)....
Attached Images     

Last edited by mountie55; 04-17-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: forgetful
georgehafe (04-20-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:45 PM
one18Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by mountie55
one18Vette.... Yea... pricey.... The #5 Cobra Daytona is retired & valued at about $1,400.....Triple- Signature Edition w/ Shelby, Gurney & Bondurant (retired) is a whopping $6,000 !!
( The late)Gurney & Bondurant are friends of mine.... ( I hung out with Bondurant & Driving school for about 7 years in Sonoma).... Lord knows what a "value" my #5 could be.... with their signatures?
Guldstrand was a WONDERFUL guy!! Great race stories!! FUNNY as hell!!
That #10 Sunoco is priceless. ( But I also had Dick sign the Exoto Prototype Grand Sport back in '99, when we moved his Jefferson Blvd. shop to Burbank)
That is awesome you got to know and hang out with real legends. I had no idea Exoto made the Grand Sport. I remember finding them in 1/43 but not in 18 scale. You're quite lucky to have those cars and more so the stories behind them.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:00 PM
mountie55
Advanced

The neat thing about them, is they are "car guys" just like you & me. Easy to talk to & optimistic in life.

But the stories...... man-o-man....

I have a crazy/ funny story Dick told me..... Wanna hear it? ( I know this is "off-topic".... But it's about a "Chevrolet".....)

But, it is a "memorabilia" - memorable moment....

Last edited by mountie55; 04-17-2018 at 05:02 PM.
georgehafe (04-20-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:28 PM
one18Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

The neat thing about them, is they are "car guys" just like you & me. Easy to talk to & optimistic in life.

But the stories...... man-o-man....

I have a crazy/ funny story Dick told me..... Wanna hear it? ( I know this is "off-topic".... But it's about a "Chevrolet".....)

But, it is a "memorabilia" - memorable moment....
When I was a kid I got to meet and spend some time with Dale Earnhardt Sr. and that is exactly how he was. One of the greatest men I've ever met. And sure, I'd like to hear a story.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Thunder80
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 100 Posts

Some very nice Cars. Yes I think the prices have went high, just as anything. I collect plastic. I was waiting for a reissue to come out earlier this year. It's out, but I can't find it at a reasonable price. It's out here for a price 3 or 4 times store price. I guess someone bought cases of the Vett I will keep looking for the ones I can pay for. Yes prices are up, in some cases way up.
georgehafe (04-20-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:30 PM
Thunder80
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 100 Posts

I just went to Exoto sight they are coming out with 1966 Exoto Corvette Sting Ray
competition, the price is up there. $598. last 5 final sale. I see what you mean. Nice models of great cars, but you need some $$$
georgehafe (04-20-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:05 PM
mountie55
Advanced

Originally Posted by one18Vette
When I was a kid I got to meet and spend some time with Dale Earnhardt Sr. and that is exactly how he was. One of the greatest men I've ever met. And sure, I'd like to hear a story.
This must have been...... around 1997 / 1998. Dick received a call from a friend. He said a neighbor of his friend was getting up in age and She wanted to sell her home. ( Somewhere in the North Hollywood / Burbank area).. She had a detached garage with an apartment above, behind her house. She had a renter living in the apartment back in the early '70's. ( A war vet I believe)...
The renter left & never returned. The guy left a "Chevrolet" in the old garage, covered up, and this old lady wanted it removed.....The car was sitting there for over 25 years(?) " Just get rid of it", She said.
So, Dick's friend told the lady, " I know a guy that knows Chevrolets & I'll have him come over and remove it.....
Dick didn't have any idea what the "Chevrolet" was, but He brought $400 bucks, just in case.....

Dick goes over to check out the car....... He opens the old detached garage door.... removes the car cover....

Dick couldn't believe his eyes!! Go figure ( Dick said to me)...... It was a pristine 1967 Corvette! Red w/ a white convertible top & white interior....
Of all people to check out this mystery car, and end up with a Corvette. Dick told her he only had $400 bucks for the car, she said "That was fine as long as it is gone".
........ Dick, as he is telling me this story..... He then opens up the kitchen door at his home, into his garage to show me !!

Funny, Huh? I remember taking a picture of the 'Vette in the garage... I am trying to find the photo I took....

( My avatar, to the left... shows Dick's / customer's - 50th Anniversary 'Guldstrand Edition' 'vette in his driveway) BTW

Last edited by mountie55; 04-17-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:27 PM
one18Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by Thunder80
I just went to Exoto sight they are coming out with 1966 Exoto Corvette Sting Ray
competition, the price is up there. $598. last 5 final sale. I see what you mean. Nice models of great cars, but you need some $$$
Wow... $598? That... well for an Exoto thats fairly high but not unheard of. I remember CMC's going for around that a few years ago.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 PM
one18Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

This must have been...... around 1997 / 1998. Dick received a call from a friend. He said a neighbor of his friend was getting up in age and She wanted to sell her home. ( Somewhere in the North Hollywood / Burbank area).. She had a detached garage with an apartment above, behind her house. She had a renter living in the apartment back in the early '70's. ( A war vet I believe)...
The renter left & never returned. The guy left a "Chevrolet" in the old garage, covered up, and this old lady wanted it removed.....The car was sitting there for over 25 years(?) " Just get rid of it", She said.
So, Dick's friend told the lady, " I know a guy that knows Chevrolets & I'll have him come over and remove it.....
Dick didn't have any idea what the "Chevrolet" was, but He brought $400 bucks, just in case.....

Dick goes over to check out the car....... He opens the old detached garage door.... removes the car cover....

Dick couldn't believe his eyes!! Go figure ( Dick said to me)...... It was a pristine 1967 Corvette! Red w/ a white convertible top & white interior....
Of all people to check out this mystery car, and end up with a Corvette. Dick told her he only had $400 bucks for the car, she said "That was fine as long as it is gone".
........ Dick, as he is telling me this story..... He then opens up the kitchen door at his home, into his garage to show me !!

Funny, Huh? I remember taking a picture of the 'Vette in the garage... I am trying to find the photo I took....

( My avatar, to the left... shows Dick's / customer's - 50th Anniversary 'Guldstrand Edition' 'vette in his driveway) BTW
HA! Some guys have all the luck! That would never happen to me. I used to have a 50th ann. Guldstrand Ed. Corvette just like your avatar. Slightly smaller of course!
Old 04-18-2018, 01:52 AM
one18Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

testing something didn't work

Last edited by one18Vette; 04-18-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:11 AM
one18Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

All I can see is a little white box with a bent corner. Can anyone see anything else?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 AM
mountie55
Advanced

All I can see is a little white box with a bent corner. Can anyone see anything else?
Only the tiny little page in the corner.... what is your test?
Old 04-18-2018, 02:46 PM
one18Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Only the tiny little page in the corner.... what is your test?
Its a picture of my C7R in Dale Earnhardt's/RCR race livery. It is on the Forza hub and my gallery but if I post the link or embed it, it doesn't work. Can't save the pic or host it either.

Get notified of new replies

To 1/18

Old 04-18-2018, 03:16 PM
mountie55
Advanced

Its a picture of my C7R in Dale Earnhardt's/RCR race livery. It is on the Forza hub and my gallery but if I post the link or embed it, it doesn't work. Can't save the pic or host it either.
I found, "drag & drop" seems to be most reliable. ...... Maybe try 'right-click' / save image? To retrieve the photo?
If you can get to the photo again.... ( That little page at upper left of your post ?).... we all have that. I don't even know what that is... yet
Old 04-18-2018, 03:28 PM
one18Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

I found, "drag & drop" seems to be most reliable. ...... Maybe try 'right-click' / save image? To retrieve the photo?
If you can get to the photo again.... ( That little page at upper left of your post ?).... we all have that. I don't even know what that is... yet
It won't do that. I can post the link to my gallery but I don't think anyone can view it unless they are a member of the Forza hub. I 'll try and post it anyway. Let me know if it works. Gotta get the link.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:31 PM
one18Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

nope. oh well.

Last edited by one18Vette; 04-18-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 1/18