Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-Car videos of an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 08:13 AM
steveC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In-Car videos of an auto?

Curious if anyone has any in-car DE videos who drive automatics. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

the only one I know of is the video of the C6 testing at Nurburgring

http://homepage.mac.com/bramwellt/TiVO_C6.mov
Old 06-18-2005, 08:55 PM
RandyVettes
Life's Short. Drive Hard.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'09

I have a few from my A4 C5 at Road America. What are you looking to see?
Old 06-19-2005, 07:15 AM
steveC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RandyVettes
I have a few from my A4 C5 at Road America. What are you looking to see?
Trying to decide whether swapping to a 6 speed is worth it. Seeing if I can make anything out of the driving characteristics of an auto on a road course. Not looking to road race full time or anything, just want to have fun a few times a year. I'm hearing different views on how much a 6 speed is better than an auto (whether 6 speeds are that much better or only a small edge.)

Overall, I'm not concerned with lap times but more concerned on whether it's too easy to upset the car as it shifts during a hard corner or high speed turn.

Any feedback from what to expect is appreciated!
Old 06-19-2005, 08:50 AM
RandyVettes
Life's Short. Drive Hard.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'09

I have done a few HPDE's a year for the last 4 years, always with an A4. I am generally in the fastest group and usually in the fastest 50% of cars in that group. I push the car hard. I love the A4 because I can worry about 1 less thing and concentrate that much more on my line, apex, braking, etc. My videos pretty much just show me passing a few cars but I can mail you a VHS if you want to send me an address. randyvettes@aol.com
Old 06-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Crash99
Racer

Originally Posted by steveC5
Overall, I'm not concerned with lap times but more concerned on whether it's too easy to upset the car as it shifts during a hard corner or high speed turn.
Steve,

When I DE my Auto I shift the car manually (usually only 2-3 or 3-2) so I stay in the car's powerband and so that I control the shift points. I've never had the car shift on its own in a hard corner or high speed turn. The only disadvantage w/ an auto (assuming 3.15 rear end) is we have one less underdrive gear to play with (if only it were a 5 speed auto). Remember that 5th and 6th on a 6 speed are both overdrives and are rarely used on a track unless there are some hellacious top speed straights...

I have an in-car video I edited (with some outside car footage also) that I put together for our school's car show last year that is on DVD. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send it to you. You can see me keeping up with two black 6 speed vettes, one is a ZO6 the other a supercharged C5 coupe. Although they are faster in the straights, with a little better feel for the course and better brakes I close quickly in the twisties and hold my own overall.

Crash

Get notified of new replies

To In-Car videos of an auto?

Quick Reply: In-Car videos of an auto?