Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a lighter exhaust neg effect downforce at highspeeds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 03:45 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does a lighter exhaust neg effect downforce at highspeeds?

I am looking into getting a titanium exhaust for my C5. I have heard that they are 25 lbs lighter than stock. Would that weight difference effect downforce in the rear of the car say at 150 MPH? Also do they flow better than stock? I know stocks flow pretty well and I would not be gaining much HP, just a different sound. Any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2005, 04:26 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Short answer, no.

Long answer, maintain the correct rake in the ride height adjustment and the aero will result in more than the 25lb difference.

I would not personally waste $$$ on titanium. I'm assuming you are referring to a Z06 exhaust you're looking at and to be honest I can BARELY tell the difference in the sound.

Ti sounds sexy (when talked about) but if you are really looking for a different sound go with a standard aftermarket exhaust.

It depends what you're looking for I guess. Many of the aftermarket setups are slightly lighter simply due to loosing the humongous mufflers.

But to answer your original question no, I don't think it will affect downforce to the point you'd notice.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow01
Short answer, no.

Long answer, maintain the correct rake in the ride height adjustment and the aero will result in more than the 25lb difference.

I would not personally waste $$$ on titanium. I'm assuming you are referring to a Z06 exhaust you're looking at and to be honest I can BARELY tell the difference in the sound.

It depends what you're looking for I guess. Many of the aftermarket setups are slightly lighter simply due to loosing the humongous mufflers.

and I know that the 2-tip stingers are something like 10-15lbs lighter than the z06 exhause (not that I'm a good enough driver for it to matter)
Old 06-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Not exactly true... the 2-tip stingers are like 2lbs lighter than the stock Ti's (which are amazingly light) and the 4-tips are marginally heavier than the stock Ti's.

Get notified of new replies

To Does a lighter exhaust neg effect downforce at highspeeds?

Quick Reply: Does a lighter exhaust neg effect downforce at highspeeds?