Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 G-Force Harness Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 10:51 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default C5 G-Force Harness Questions

Looking at these models to pass through my sport seats via the AZ Speed and Marine bar.

http://www.saferacer.com/prose6pthcah.html

or

http://www.saferacer.com/prose6pcahas.html

1) Which one is better and why?

2) Do I want "pull up" or "pull down" lap belts? I know this is probably personal preference, but this is my first harness so I could use some advice.

3) Is this the best anti-sub for my stock seat?

4) I need the G-Force clip in points for the BK lap kit, right?

Thanks In Advance
Old 09-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=BQuicksilver]Looking at these models to pass through my sport seats via the AZ Speed and Marine bar.

This one. It has the wrap around shoulder belts. The other one is bolt in. You will need to purchase 4 of the clip in parts for the lap and sub belts.

or

1) Which one is better and why?

2) Do I want "pull up" or "pull down" lap belts? I know this is probably personal preference, but this is my first harness so I could use some advice.
Shoulder belts are all pull down. The lap belt is the one with the choice. I have the pull down, but think the pull up would be easier. With the pull up, the door and the seat don't get in the way of tightening the belt.

3) Is this the best anti-sub for my stock seat?
Don't really know about that. I've read that this is the best type so the boys don't get smashed too badly in and accident.

4) I need the G-Force clip in points for the BK lap kit, right?
Yes. Two for the lap belts and two for the sub belt.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks for the great reply! Just few questions left.

Originally Posted by Snidley
This one. It has the wrap around shoulder belts. The other one is bolt in. You will need to purchase 4 of the clip in parts for the lap and sub belts.

or

Can't you add clip in ends to the other one? I was asking more about the H in the upper straps. These will be passed through the sport seat I believe unless passing them around the seat is safer. Not disagreeing with you, just want to make sure you knew the difference I was concerned with and that I'm using sport seats.

Also, can anyone double-check that these will work at all in a C5? Hopefully the measurements aren't totally off.

Originally Posted by Snidley
Shoulder belts are all pull down. The lap belt is the one with the choice. I have the pull down, but think the pull up would be easier. With the pull up, the door and the seat don't get in the way of tightening the belt.
Again, thanks! I agree, my only concern would be if there was too much bulk in the middle with pull down uppers and pull up lowers. If it's not an issue I think that question is done.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=BQuicksilver]Thanks for the great reply! Just few questions left.

Can't you add clip in ends to the other one?
The bolt in ends can be replaced by the clip in ends. Doing this to my own set.

I was asking more about the H in the upper straps. These will be passed through the sport seat I believe unless passing them around the seat is safer. Not disagreeing with you, just want to make sure you knew the difference I was concerned with and that I'm using sport seats.
I alo have the sport seats. You don't need the H strap with the sport seats. Pass the belts thru the openings and you are all set. The H strap is a necessity if the belts have to go around the side of the seat.

Also, can anyone double-check that these will work at all in a C5? Hopefully the measurements aren't totally off.
They all have alot of adjustment.

Again, thanks! I agree, my only concern would be if there was too much bulk in the middle with pull down uppers and pull up lowers. If it's not an issue I think that question is done.[/QUOTE)
There shouldn't be too much bulk around the latch of in your lap because the ends of the belts where they mount can be adjusted so that the belt at the adjuster where you tighten them will have only a couple of inches hanging loose. I have the pull down lap belts and I usually have to adjust only one side. If you don't move the side against the console, you can latch the belts and then tighten the lap belt by the door. If you leave the door open a little, it easy to do. Just don't leave the door all the way open or you won't be able to reach it after the belts are tight.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by BQuicksilver
Thanks for the great reply! Just few questions left.

Can't you add clip in ends to the other one? I was asking more about the H in the upper straps. These will be passed through the sport seat I believe unless passing them around the seat is safer. Not disagreeing with you, just want to make sure you knew the difference I was concerned with and that I'm using sport seats.

Again, thanks! I agree, my only concern would be if there was too much bulk in the middle with pull down uppers and pull up lowers. If it's not an issue I think that question is done.
Since you are passing through the seat do not go with the H. Pull up lap belts are probably better since with pull downs you have no room for tightening the straps. I have the pull down Simpsons and the only way I can get the belts tight is to have the adjuster all the way at the latch end. This puts the flat piece of metal of the adjusters right across my upper thighs which isn't the most comfortable arrangement. With the B-K mounts the belts only need to be about 8 inches long on each side.

Bill
Old 09-24-2005, 01:07 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Went to the first link and it says 6pt and then shows 5 pt. FWIW I got a Crow http://www.crowenterprizes.com/ go to
products and then scroll down and there is a Corvette specific 6pt. system for the sport seats and the pass through. Only issue I see is if you are tall like me you need the mounting point low to keep a fairly straight line from mount to shoulder. I don't think you would want the belt either pulling the seat up or down.

specific model:
http://www.crowenterprizes.com/shop_...asp?sku=1114-C

As to the pull down on lower belt, you have no leverage with your arm close to the body so it is difficult to get tight. With the pull up, if push comes to pull you can get some one to lean in and pull up, which is what they do in the formula cars. Also, with the clip, then overlap of material, then loop through clip, then camlock, and same on other side I find the belt is fully cinched at the ends of the fold over stichting since the brackets sit up some on the seat sides. I'd check to see if a non Corvette specific model might be too lose.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To C5 G-Force Harness Questions

Quick Reply: C5 G-Force Harness Questions