Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to instruct "non-heel/toe-er"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:20 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now to make it even worse, most of my past race cars (Datsuns) had very weak syncros so you not only needed to H&T, but each down shift required a double clutch, as described by our trucking friend above, in order to keep the transmission in one piece throughout a race weekend. Now I do that out habbit, but my guess is that my transmission will show much less wear than you "just - throttle blippers".
Old 11-23-2005, 08:10 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the blur
when I first started.. I couldn't get it.. so I did the second best thing.
I was slow, so it didn't matter, I was a novice.

I braked EARLY, very early. Then I would take my foot off the brake, downshift, blip the throttle, release the clutch, Then brake again. IT worked, I was not destroying the clutch, not screeching the rear wheels. The instructors could NOT figure out what the H@ll I Was doing, but it didn't matter. All they felt was the double braking.

Now I can heel and toe, but I'm probably doing more damage to the drive train now because I am not 100% proficent at it.

also, I COULD NOT LEARN on the street. You have to be hard on the brakes to get the pedals to match up properly... at least for me. So my entire learing was on the track.
As another HPDE student, I find this really good advice. Practice on the street is helpful, but it's just not enough. You have to use the technique where it counts. Best way to so this is to advance your brake points and give up some speed while you learn the technique at the track. I'm going to do this next time out, and it will require some discipline, because there is such an urge to go as fast as you can when you're on the track. But as a relative novice, this is pointless, and actually counterproductive in the extreme.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:22 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, for any novices/intermediates who have trouble...I can heel/toe pretty darn good, but I have trouble in anything but racing shoes. Sneakers are actually worse than a rubber dress shoe. Sneakers are too wide. I am cheap, so I use wrestling shoes...same thing just not fire proof.

I forgot the change into my driving shoes one time and had trouble. I didn't understand what was going on, until I looked at what I was wearing.

If you are having trouble and are using sneakers, this may be part of your problem. I find the stock C5 pedals to be just fine, I also would imagine dexterity and shoe size make a difference as well. If you have small feet, I would imagine it might be more of a challenge.

Quick Reply: Best way to instruct "non-heel/toe-er"?