Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clockwise/counterclockwise time differences?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:07 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clockwise/counterclockwise time differences?

At MSR in Sept. (my first time at the track in the Vette) going counterclockwise in 90 degree heat my lap times were in the 1:27.6 to 1:27.9 range. Then weekend before last with cooler temps (60's to 70's for highs) going clockwise I could only run 1:28.7 to 1:29.0's. Both weekends I was running VRL scuffs. On Sunday I corded three of the scuffs from Sept. so I put three new scuffs on. No difference in lap times. To make matters worse I had LG headers and a tune installed on Friday at LG so I should have been quicker with the extra 30-35 h/p going CCW. I could pull away from guys coming out of the corners that I had trouble getting away from back in Sept. I will say the track is like two completely different tracks when you run it in different directions but it is still the same distance??? Should my times have been closer to the same?

Jerry
Old 11-28-2005, 03:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Direction makes a big difference. Corners could be increasing or decreasing radius.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:41 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never run MSR CW (wanted to go but couldn't last minute) but I'm not at all surprised it is slower.

If nothing else, you're coming out onto the main straight after some S's going CW vs a 90mph sweeper (big bend) going CCW. That's got to be a bit of time there.

Then you're accelerating uphill after BB vs. downhill...

I dunno, that's just from memory, but I could see where it would be a slower track CW than CCW.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:51 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 714 Likes on 495 Posts

clockwise, your weight (driver) causes the outside tires to be loaded more than CCW. I don't know this specific track, but I'm not surprised you were slower. Honestly, most road coarse drivers don't turn "left" as well as we turn "right", just from the lack of tracks with an abundance of left hand turns.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:13 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
clockwise, your weight (driver) causes the outside tires to be loaded more than CCW. I don't know this specific track, but I'm not surprised you were slower. Honestly, most road coarse drivers don't turn "left" as well as we turn "right", just from the lack of tracks with an abundance of left hand turns.

ding ding ding

David I think you may have at least part of the answer. I never thought about it that way. I used to think I liked left turns more than right turns but after about nine weekends of DE's I don't really think about being more comfortable one way or the other.

Yellow01, some of your ideas may be part of the deal also. If these things are all true I should be in the 1:26-1:26 range next time running CCW. Sure is slow after reading about LG's times. I need Lou as an instructor for a day or two.

J

Get notified of new replies

To clockwise/counterclockwise time differences?

Quick Reply: clockwise/counterclockwise time differences?