Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sta-Bil with Race Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 09:52 PM
toy350
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sta-Bil with Race Fuel?

My season got cut short and I have 5 gallons of race fuel left over. Can or should I use Sta-bil to preserve it until next season in February?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:11 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I've wondered the same thing. I've got about 20 gal of fuel from LAST year, and I'm going to use it. I think I'll just mix it 50/50 with new stuff, and hope for the best.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:44 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most race fuels that I am aware of have very short shelf lives (typically 30-60 days). The main problem is varnishing and this can cause all sorts of problems if left in the fuel system from one season to the next. I'm afraid I don't have a good answer on what to do with old fuel although David's idea is probably as good as any.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:57 PM
C3-R
Racer

My dad and I have used Sta-bil in left over race fuel and it has apparently worked since we havent had a problem with left over fuel when the spring rolled around.

However, I recognize that after saying that I am subject to Murphy's law and whatever can go wrong, will.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:20 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use old race fuel in my lawn boy if it sits for a year. Don't use it in the snow blower because it will make it hard to start, I know from first hand experience. It's not worth 30 bucks worth of gas to wreck a 10,000+ dolllar motor.

Randy
Old 11-30-2005, 08:20 PM
toy350
Instructor

Do you get the sweet smell of race fuel from the lawn boy fumes?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:51 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's the only way I will mow the lawn. I get plugged up for about two days after cutting the grass. So it makes me happy for only a minute before nose gets plugged. You should have seen when I was racing a two cylce kart. The neighbor asked if I needed a new mower because she smoked a little. He hates me by the way. Revving motors in the garage+ two in the am = cops are there in no time flat. The cops don't understand re-ringing and the need to make it to the next race day.

Randy
Old 11-30-2005, 09:07 PM
HalM
Racer

I wouldn't. But here's an alternative that's available in our area. You could mix it with much higher octane race fuel. The aromatics get away thus lowering octane among other things...

That assumes you are routinely running something like 110 race so that 116 could be used to mix it up...
Old 11-30-2005, 09:18 PM
fmrfast
Racer

Here is my experience.

I retired my C4 L98 powerd road race car not thinking I would be getting back into it. (After 6 championships I was just going to leave it in the garage for 20 or so years & have it as a conversation piece ) So I just left the 5 gallons or so of Cam 2 110 in the tank. After 2 1/2 years I decided to go racing again, racing never leaves your blood. The car sat with a battery tender on it, #12 cranked for a while then it fired & ran. I did not have an issue doing this knowing the engine was shot & was going to be replaced if raced again. In any event it did not hurt anything after 2.5 years of northern NJ cold & heat. I would not suggest a 2.5 year lay off without proper storage however a few months over the winter followed by the addition of fresh race fuel based on my experience would not hurt it. I did that every year I raced. Last race was the end of Nov. 1st race or test day March the next year.This only my experience & is contrary to published info. I did not add Sta-bil to it either. Maybe I just got lucky? The same injectors are still in the car with the new engine & ran 3 races at the end of this season.

Frank
Old 11-30-2005, 09:33 PM
steve-d
Instructor

Any suggestions regarding about 30 gal of left over 112 octane fuel in containers?

Is there any concern re sealed containers? No escape of flavorful aromas there. :; )

Last edited by steve-d; 11-30-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:28 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

the only issue I have had is when fuel evaporated out of a 2 stroke carb, and left behind a nasty varnish. Otherwise I have had 10 year old fuel work fine. I wouldn't run the runoffs with old fuel, but for driving around a HPDE, it won't matter.

stabil certainly would not hurt.
any major gas company has web sites with loads of info.
I once had to download MSDS sheets off the HESS website for fuel storage. The local fire marshal need full documentation.

my vintage F body sits with fuel for 2 years, no problem. I usually keep the tank full. The evaporation process is what causes problems.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:36 AM
fmrfast
Racer

Originally Posted by steve-d
Any suggestions regarding about 30 gal of left over 112 octane fuel in containers?

Is there any concern re sealed containers? No escape of flavorful aromas there. :; )
CAM 2 advises metal container not plastic. Not sure about sealed or vented.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:02 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by fmrfast
CAM 2 advises metal container not plastic. Not sure about sealed or vented.

Nothing to do with this topic-I was wondering if this is Frank R. (w/black C4 and teamed with Pete?).

If so this is Steven R. (Black 1992)-Hi!

For those who don't know Frank, he is one of the best drivers out there!

Steven

Last edited by STEVEN13; 12-01-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:37 PM
fmrfast
Racer

Hi Steven,

Yes, I am the Frank you met at the EMRA events. Took a few years off from racing, New house, wife, child etc. You get the picture. I sorted the car out according to new set of rules at the last couple of races at the end of the season. I was a little rusty to say the least but did ok. Thanks for the compliment. BTW you are improving each time you come out & Time Trial. Thinking obout racing?

Sorry guys for hi jacking the thread.

Regards

Frank
Old 12-04-2005, 01:04 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I've always wondered the same thing as my car pretty much sits over the winter as well. I have taken pretty much the same approach as David did, but I also through a bottle of this into the tank at the begining of the season (and between races) to help clean the fuel system: AMSOIL P.I. Quick Shot

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 12-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It is still gasoline. Sta-Bil works with gasoline. Old gasoline doesn't ruin the engine but will gum up a carb, fuel injectors, etc.
Bill
Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 PM
mvitacco
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Sta-Bil for years.
However, keep in mind I live in the south and my "off season"
is only between two or three months. (Dec/Jan-Feb & July/Aug).

Get notified of new replies

To Sta-Bil with Race Fuel?

Quick Reply: Sta-Bil with Race Fuel?